Taking over project

Ron Weldy

Anyone got any pointers on taking over code from another consultant? I have
some ASP.NET code, some assemblies with the projects to build the dlls in
the bin folder, and all the code and pages that are on the production
server. Now I am going to have to set up the development environment. This
does not look as simple as opening the project in VS.NET or is it?

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Ron,

You might find it faster to create your own project in VS.NET and start
dropping the other person's .aspx and .vb files in it. See if you can get it
to build before you make any changes.

Although you can sometimes open someone else's solution or project, there
are usually path changes and Web site configuration setting that don't match
up. You spend more time trying to make it work than you would creating your
own project and copying the files.

Ken

Ron Weldy

Good point. Thanks!