Tap on heap while debugging

Hendrik Maryns

Oliver Wong

Hendrik Maryns said:
So the question: is there some debugging program which shows a
(preferably graphical) view of the heap space and the size of the
objects in it, and how they evolve. I use Eclipse, but having to
inspect manually those hashes after each few steps is difficult. Nicest
would be to have some flowing chart which shows the big memory consumers.

Many profilers will report memory usage.

These two profilers report memor usage as part of their feature list, but
they cost money:

http://www.yourkit.com/overview/index.jsp
http://www.ej-technologies.com/products/jprofiler/features.html

There's a list of open source java profilers at
http://java-source.net/open-source/profilers I leave it up to you to read
their descriptions to find out which ones support memory usage analysis.

- Oliver

IchBin

Oliver said:
Many profilers will report memory usage.

These two profilers report memor usage as part of their feature list,
but they cost money:

http://www.yourkit.com/overview/index.jsp
http://www.ej-technologies.com/products/jprofiler/features.html

There's a list of open source java profilers at
http://java-source.net/open-source/profilers I leave it up to you to
read their descriptions to find out which ones support memory usage
analysis.

- Oliver
If you are running Netbeans, they have an addon Profiler.
http://profiler.netbeans.org

Eclipse also has their profiler called tptp (Eclipse Test and
Performance Tools Platform). Both could help you out.
http://www.eclipse.org/tptp

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)