tarfile doesn't work with tgz files?

Robert Dailey

Hi,

I'm not a big expert on the tarfile component, but I assumed that .tgz
files were short for .tar.gz and the format was the same. When I try
to extract a .tgz file using tarfile in Python 3.0 on Windows, I get
the following error:

File "C:\Python30\lib\tarfile.py", line 1630, in open
raise ReadError("file could not be opened successfully")
tarfile.ReadError: file could not be opened successfully

I'm assuming this is because the .tgz format is not what I think it is
and is not supported. How can I extract .tgz files using Python 3.0?
Note that I probably can't depend on third party python modules, since
I have yet to find many that support Python 3.0.

Thanks.

Kushal Kumaran

Hi,

I'm not a big expert on the tarfile component, but I assumed that .tgz
files were short for .tar.gz and the format was the same. When I try
to extract a .tgz file using tarfile in Python 3.0 on Windows, I get
the following error:

 File "C:\Python30\lib\tarfile.py", line 1630, in open
   raise ReadError("file could not be opened successfully")
tarfile.ReadError: file could not be opened successfully

I'm assuming this is because the .tgz format is not what I think it is
and is not supported. How can I extract .tgz files using Python 3.0?
Note that I probably can't depend on third party python modules, since
I have yet to find many that support Python 3.0.

Is the file itself correct? Are you able to extract the files using
any compression program? Do you have a version of tar installed that
you can try extracting the file with? If you don't, a Windows version
of tar will be available with cygwin.

Robert Dailey

Hi,

I'm not a big expert on the tarfile component, but I assumed that .tgz
files were short for .tar.gz and the format was the same. When I try
to extract a .tgz file using tarfile in Python 3.0 on Windows, I get
the following error:

  File "C:\Python30\lib\tarfile.py", line 1630, in open
    raise ReadError("file could not be opened successfully")
tarfile.ReadError: file could not be opened successfully

I'm assuming this is because the .tgz format is not what I think it is
and is not supported. How can I extract .tgz files using Python 3.0?
Note that I probably can't depend on third party python modules, since
I have yet to find many that support Python 3.0.

Thanks.

Correction, it is the following line that breaks:

tarfile.open( file )

When I try to *open* the file it fails, not extract. Sorry for the
mixup.

Gary Herron

Robert said:
Hi,

I'm not a big expert on the tarfile component, but I assumed that .tgz
files were short for .tar.gz and the format was the same.

That's correct.
When I try
to extract a .tgz file using tarfile in Python 3.0 on Windows, I get
the following error:

File "C:\Python30\lib\tarfile.py", line 1630, in open
raise ReadError("file could not be opened successfully")
tarfile.ReadError: file could not be opened successfully

I'm assuming this is because the .tgz format is not what I think it is
and is not supported.

Not true. It's supported.
How can I extract .tgz files using Python 3.0?
Note that I probably can't depend on third party python modules, since
I have yet to find many that support Python 3.0.

Thanks.

It's hard to debug your code when you don't show us your code, so I
won't try.

I can however supply a bit of working code:
-rw-r--r-- gherron/gherron 703 2009-03-14 15:59:46 t.py
-rw-r--r-- gherron/gherron 566 2009-05-15 09:13:08 note-bzr-hg
-rw-r--r-- gherron/gherron 11563 2009-04-24 09:33:12 .emacs

So the module correctly reads the tar-gzip file, and finds its contents.

Now, what is it you were trying to do?

Gary Herron

Robert Dailey

That's correct.

Not true.  It's supported.

It's hard to debug your code when you don't show us your code,  so I
won't try.

I can however supply a bit of working code:

 >>> import tarfile
 >>> f=tarfile.open('f.tgz')
 >>> f.list()
-rw-r--r-- gherron/gherron        703 2009-03-14 15:59:46 t.py
-rw-r--r-- gherron/gherron        566 2009-05-15 09:13:08 note-bzr-hg
-rw-r--r-- gherron/gherron      11563 2009-04-24 09:33:12 .emacs

So the module correctly reads the tar-gzip file, and finds its contents.

Now, what is it you were trying to do?

Gary Herron

I wasn't sure if my code was relevant, since there really isn't much
to show. Here is the convenience function I've created for extracting
the contents of a tar.gz or tgz file on Windows:

def untar( file, dst ):
print( file )
print( dst )
tarball = tarfile.open( file )
tarball.extractall( dst )
tarball.close()

The respective results of the 2 print statements above are:

D:\IT\personal\layout-editor\temp\tbb21_20080605oss_src.tgz
D:\IT\personal\layout-editor\temp

And the full output I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\IT\personal\layout-editor\third_party.py", line 257, in
<module>
tbb.Process()
File "D:\IT\personal\layout-editor\third_party.py", line 247, in
Process
install_operation.Process( self, 'tbb' )
File "D:\IT\personal\layout-editor\third_party.py", line 160, in
Process
build_operation.Process( self, name )
File "D:\IT\personal\layout-editor\third_party.py", line 138, in
Process
self.Extract()
File "D:\IT\personal\layout-editor\third_party.py", line 125, in
Extract
extract( file, self._outdir )
File "D:\IT\personal\layout-editor\third_party.py", line 43, in
untar
tarball = tarfile.open( file )
File "C:\Python30\lib\tarfile.py", line 1630, in open
raise ReadError("file could not be opened successfully")
tarfile.ReadError: file could not be opened successfully

Robert Dailey

Is the file itself correct?  Are you able to extract the files using
any compression program?  Do you have a version of tar installed that
you can try extracting the file with?  If you don't, a Windows version
of tar will be available with cygwin.

Yes, I can open and extract it using WinRAR

Robert Dailey

That's correct.

Not true.  It's supported.

It's hard to debug your code when you don't show us your code,  so I
won't try.

I can however supply a bit of working code:

 >>> import tarfile
 >>> f=tarfile.open('f.tgz')
 >>> f.list()
-rw-r--r-- gherron/gherron        703 2009-03-14 15:59:46 t.py
-rw-r--r-- gherron/gherron        566 2009-05-15 09:13:08 note-bzr-hg
-rw-r--r-- gherron/gherron      11563 2009-04-24 09:33:12 .emacs

So the module correctly reads the tar-gzip file, and finds its contents.

Now, what is it you were trying to do?

Gary Herron

Okay so I managed to figure out the problem.

Initially, I manually downloaded the TGZ above through Chrome and then
opened it in WinRAR and extracted the files. Everything worked fine.

Then, I ran my Python script which uses urlretrieve() to download the
file and then tarfile is used to extract it. However, urlretrieve()
was not downloading the full file because of a bug that was corrupting
my URL.

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks to everyone for the very prompt
help!

Tim Daneliuk

Robert said:
Hi,

I'm not a big expert on the tarfile component, but I assumed that .tgz
files were short for .tar.gz and the format was the same. When I try
to extract a .tgz file using tarfile in Python 3.0 on Windows, I get
the following error:

File "C:\Python30\lib\tarfile.py", line 1630, in open
raise ReadError("file could not be opened successfully")
tarfile.ReadError: file could not be opened successfully

I'm assuming this is because the .tgz format is not what I think it is
and is not supported. How can I extract .tgz files using Python 3.0?
Note that I probably can't depend on third party python modules, since
I have yet to find many that support Python 3.0.

Thanks.

Several thoughts:

Did you use the r:gz argument in your read statement to specify
the type of compression in use?

Is the file even readable - i.e., Are the permissions proper on the file?