<TBODY>

JohnWMpls

A recent message here about <tbody> caused me to look it up in O'Reilly.
I have never used it or its companions <thead> and <tfoot>.

<thead> seems to be just the thing for one table I have that is 3 pages
long - if, as described, it will repeat the column headers on each page
(& screen?). But I cannot get it to do that.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

David Dorward

JohnWMpls said:
<thead> seems to be just the thing for one table I have that is 3 pages
long - if, as described, it will repeat the column headers on each page
(& screen?). But I cannot get it to do that.

Browser support is rather absent at the moment, one day it might be there,
and the markup certainly does no harm in the mean time.

Please fix your sig separator, it should be "-- ". A proper sig separator
will allow newsreaders to automatically trim it for replies.

SpaceGirl

David said:
JohnWMpls wrote:

Browser support is rather absent at the moment, one day it might be there,
and the markup certainly does no harm in the mean time.

Please fix your sig separator, it should be "-- ". A proper sig separator
will allow newsreaders to automatically trim it for replies.

Sort of works in IE6 and Mozilla (and in turn Firefox). It makes code
really hard to read tho! Your footers and headers at the top of the
table followed by the body... it's weird :) It does work though - and if
you are writing strict XHTML I think they are required (? maybe wrong).

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

Jedi Fans

SpaceGirl said:
Sort of works in IE6 and Mozilla (and in turn Firefox). It makes code
really hard to read tho! Your footers and headers at the top of the
table followed by the body... it's weird :) It does work though - and if
you are writing strict XHTML I think they are required (? maybe wrong).

writing scrict XHTML means having a good document structure aka not
using tables for layout [tabular data is fine if i misunderstood the
meaning of the table useage]

Andy Dingley

writing scrict XHTML means having a good document structure aka not
using tables for layout

No it doesn't. Garbage code is still garbage code, you can write it in
XHTML, or in HTML 3.2.

Strict knocks a few obvious gewgaws out, but it's still no automatic
guarantee that garbage or less-than-ideal code will also be termed
mechanically invalid.

JohnWMpls

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:34:53 +0200, "bernhard schelling"
=>> <thead> seems to be just the thing for one table I have that is 3 pages
=>> long - if, as described, it will repeat the column headers on each page
=>> (& screen?). But I cannot get it to do that.
=>>
=>> Am I barking up the wrong tree?
=>
=>You can find all the answers here:
=>http://www.usability.com.au/resources/tables.cfm?style_font=sansserif
=>
Thanks, not the wrong tree - but a variation among browsers.

No browser repeated the thead when scrolling but the Print Preview in
all was accurate.

Mozilla, Firefox, & NS 7 were the same. Thead and Tfoot were placed on
each printed page. Only funny thing - they print the text before the
table (1/4 page) but then jumped to start a new page with the thead.
(Note: include a header or caption in thead or the table name gets lost
on subsequent pages.)

Thead etc not recognized by NS 4.8.

IE 6 printed thead and tfoot at the beginning and end of the table
but not on middle pages. (If it makes a difference, my IE came from
AOL - says it is a custom version).

Opera 8.01, like IE, did not print thead nor tfoot on middle pages - and
did not even break into columns the thead (it did tfoot though!).

Following is the top of the code I used (all UC originally from a
word97-to-html conversion - messy looking but it works!).

<P ALIGN="CENTER">
<TABLE width="95%" BORDER CELLSPACING=1 CELLPADDING=7">
<thead><h3>Choir Schedule</h3>
<TR>
<Th WIDTH="20%" VALIGN="TOP">&nbsp;</Th>
<Th WIDTH="20%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">8:30</FONT></Th>
<Th WIDTH="22%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">10:00</FONT></Th>
<Th WIDTH="18%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">Other</FONT></Th>
<Th WIDTH="21%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">11:10</FONT></Th>
</TR>

<tfoot>
<TR>
<TR>
<Th WIDTH="20%" VALIGN="TOP">****</Th>
<Th WIDTH="20%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">8:30</FONT></Th>
<Th WIDTH="22%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">10:00</FONT></Th>
<Th WIDTH="18%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">Other</FONT></Th>
<Th WIDTH="21%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">11:10</FONT></Th>
</TR>

<tbody>
<TR><TD WIDTH="20%" VALIGN="TOP">
<B><FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">Sept. 12</P>
<P ALIGN="CENTER">Fall Kick-off</B></FONT></TD>
<TD WIDTH="20%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">A Cappella</FONT></TD>
<TD WIDTH="22%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">A Cappella</FONT></TD>
<TD WIDTH="18%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER"></P>
<P ALIGN="CENTER">&nbsp;</FONT></TD>
<TD WIDTH="21%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">Wellspring</P>
<P ALIGN="CENTER"></FONT></TD>
</TR>
<TR><TD WIDTH="20%" VALIGN="TOP">
<B><FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">Sept. 19</B></FONT></TD>
<TD WIDTH="20%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">A Cappella</FONT></TD>
<TD WIDTH="22%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P ALIGN="CENTER">Hosanna</FONT></TD>
....etc....

Nick Theodorakis

[...]
writing scrict XHTML means having a good document structure aka not
using tables for layout [tabular data is fine if i misunderstood the
meaning of the table useage]

The OP mentioned he would like to see the column header repeated on
each page, which suggests to me that he is actually using a table for
tabular data, which is fine.

Nick

JohnWMpls

=> ---
=>> JohnW-Mpls
=>
=>Please fix your sig separator, it should be "-- ". A proper sig separator
=>will allow newsreaders to automatically trim it for replies.

I've been using my sig separator for almost 20 years in the BBS world.
It is: 3 hyphens, CR/LF, Space, Text.....

What you suggest looks similar but: 2 hyphens, CR/LF, Text....

Is that right?

Does the difference make my old BBS style generally not accepted in
newsgroups?

Adrienne

=> ---
=>> JohnW-Mpls
=>
=>Please fix your sig separator, it should be "-- ". A proper sig
separator =>will allow newsreaders to automatically trim it for replies.

I've been using my sig separator for almost 20 years in the BBS world.
It is: 3 hyphens, CR/LF, Space, Text.....

What you suggest looks similar but: 2 hyphens, CR/LF, Text....

Is that right?

Does the difference make my old BBS style generally not accepted in
newsgroups?

Yes, because, as you can see, your signature is still there when I reply.
Conforming news clients will remove the signature if it is only two dashes,
not three.

If you reply to my message, my signature should disappear, if you are using
such a client.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

JohnWMpls said:
Following is the top of the code I used (all UC originally from a
word97-to-html conversion - messy looking but it works!).

For some definition of "works", although I fear it's not a useful
definition.
<P ALIGN="CENTER">
<TABLE width="95%" BORDER CELLSPACING=1 CELLPADDING=7">

Probably not what you meant to write. The TABLE is a block level
element, and since it cannot be inside a P element, the browser will
end the P element again before it (adding the optional end tag for the
P element). That means that the centering will not work on the TABEL
if following standards.
<thead><h3>Choir Schedule</h3>

Invalid HTML. The H3 may not appear inside a THEAD (only TR may), so
error correction might end the THEAD *and* the TABLE right there ...

.... and start a new table around this row and forwards. Or maybe not,
it's never easy to guess what browsers do with nonsensical HTML :)

/L

JohnWMpls

=>JohnWMpls wrote:
=>
=>> I've been using my sig separator for almost 20 years in the BBS world.
=>> It is: 3 hyphens, CR/LF, Space, Text.....
=>>
=>> What you suggest looks similar but: 2 hyphens, CR/LF, Text....
=>> Is that right?
=>
=>No, 2 hyphens, space, CR/LF, Text.
=>
=>http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2646.html
=>
=>> Does the difference make my old BBS style generally not accepted in
=>> newsgroups?
=>
=>Yes.

I tried cutting back to 2 hyphens on my BBS messages - and it works there
also.

Using the above in BBSs, my messages end up with just my sig - the
separator avoids the 2 lines of advertisement the local BBS usually
adds.

JohnWMpls

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:47:37 +0200, Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

=>
=>> Following is the top of the code I used (all UC originally from a
=>> word97-to-html conversion - messy looking but it works!).
=>
=>For some definition of "works", although I fear it's not a useful
=>definition.
=>
=>> <P ALIGN="CENTER">
=>> <TABLE width="95%" BORDER CELLSPACING=1 CELLPADDING=7">
=>
=>Probably not what you meant to write. The TABLE is a block level
=>element, and since it cannot be inside a P element, the browser will
=>end the P element again before it (adding the optional end tag for the
=>P element). That means that the centering will not work on the TABEL
=>if following standards.

As I said, code came from the conversion - and it worked.

=>
=>> <thead><h3>Choir Schedule</h3>
=>
=>Invalid HTML. The H3 may not appear inside a THEAD (only TR may), so
=>error correction might end the THEAD *and* the TABLE right there ...

Whatever. The <h3> placed the title inside the header row. I replaced
<h3> with <caption> and the title was outside the header row.

Barbara de Zoete

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:47:37 +0200, Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

What's with this ugly == in front of the quoted text? Use >> like anybody else.
With == you break the quote mechanism for other people.
As I said, code came from the conversion - and it worked.

This group isn't about 'it worked'. It is about html. And what you provide is
not any conforming html to any version. You don't know if it works. You probably
just see it on your own screen with your own browser. IE no doubt. It might not
work at all with some other browser.
Què?

The <h3> placed the title inside the header row. I replaced
<h3> with <caption> and the title was outside the header row.

Djeez, wake up buddy. You better learn what you're doing or not expect any help
from here anymore. Can't have it both ways.

Create correct markup, have it validated. Use css for looks and layout. Validate
that too. Only if all that has been done, come here with your questions. Or ask
what you do not understand during the learning proces. But don't expect someone
who is more serious about markup to help out with maintaining wrong code.

Your sig separator is broken. It's missing the space. Correct it, so people
don't have to delete your sig manually if replying to your posts.