TCPSocket -> Wrong error on Windows?

Stephan Kämper

Hi all,

I'm playing around with net connections a bit and ran into this behaviour:
(Note, that there's no partner running on the given port.)

C:\>irb
irb(main):001:0> require "socket"
=> true
irb(main):002:0> session = TCPSocket.new( 'localhost', 12345 )
Errno::E061: Die Druckerwarteschlange ist voll. - connect(2)
from (irb):2:in `initialize'
from (irb):2:in `new'
from (irb):2
irb(main):003:0> exit

What's happening?
"Die Druckerwarteschlange ist voll." means something like "The printer queue is full".
Hmm, for me the translation doesn't help a lot.

Does anyone have an idea, why I get ... a wrong error?
I'm running the Win installer version from Dave and Andy on a Win98SE.

BTW, trying this one the identical hardware, but using an OS I get the appropriate error:

stk@tao:~> irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'socket'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> session = TCPSocket.new( 'localhost', 12345 )
Errno::ECONNREFUSED: Connection refused - connect(2)
from (irb):2:in `initialize'
from (irb):2:in `new'
from (irb):2
irb(main):003:0>

That makes more sense.

Have a nice world

Stephan

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Sun, 30 Nov 2003 07:57:11 +0900,
Stephan said:
What's happening?
"Die Druckerwarteschlange ist voll." means something like "The printer queue is full".
Hmm, for me the translation doesn't help a lot.

I think it had been fixed already.
Does anyone have an idea, why I get ... a wrong error?
I'm running the Win installer version from Dave and Andy on a Win98SE.

What version is it?

Joey Gibson

--------------030509090907000500070906

Stephan Kämper wrote:

I think it had been fixed already.

What version is it?
I just ran this test on a WinXP box using the installer ruby180-10.exe
and I get the same error, though it's in english, not German:

irb(main):001:0> require 'socket'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> session = TCPSocket.new("localhost", 12345)
Errno::E061: The printer queue is full. - connect(2)
from (irb):2:in `initialize'
from (irb):2:in `new'
from (irb):2

--
Never trust a girl with your mother's cow
never let your trousers go falling down in the green grass...

http://www.joeygibson.com/blog
http://www.joeygibson.com/blog/life/Wisdom.html

--------------030509090907000500070906--

Rich

Same error.
Printer queue is full

ruby -v
ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i386-mswin32]

OS
Win 2000

I'm trying to find the code that messed things up... TCPServer.new works...

-Rich

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Sun, 30 Nov 2003 10:30:38 +0900,
Joey said:
I just ran this test on a WinXP box using the installer ruby180-10.exe
and I get the same error, though it's in english, not German:

irb(main):001:0> require 'socket'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> session = TCPSocket.new("localhost", 12345)
Errno::E061: The printer queue is full. - connect(2)
from (irb):2:in `initialize'
from (irb):2:in `new'
from (irb):2

Mapping from WSACONNREFUSED seems lacked. But I'm not sure why
it's E061 but not E10061.

Stephan Kämper

Jon A. Lambert

Stephan Kämper said:
Sorry for not giving this info right away:

ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i386-mswin32]

irb(main):001:0> require "socket"
=> true
irb(main):002:0> session = TCPSocket.new('localhost',12345)
Errno::ECONNREFUSED: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. - connect(2)
from (irb):2:in `initialize'
from (irb):2:in `new'
from (irb):2
irb(main):003:0>
irb(main):006:0> RUBY_VERSION
irb(main):007:0> RUBY_PLATFORM
=> "i386-mswin32"
irb(main):008:0> RUBY_RELEASE_DATE
=> "2003-10-31"

This is running 1.8.1-preview2 under Windows XP.