    or two. Is there a way to do that?

    WBR
    Sonnich
    jodleren, Oct 24, 2007

  2. jodleren

    Els Guest

    jodleren wrote:

    > Hi all!
    >
    > It it pretty simple. I have a stylesheet like:
    > <STYLE TYPE="text/css">
    > TABLE { font-family : "Arial", "Helvetica", "Monaco"; font-size :
    > 10.0pt; text-decoration : none;}
    > </STYLE>
    >
    > Which means that <td>Hello world!</td> I get a font size 10.

    Don't use pt - those are for printing.

    > But I get 3 pixels above the letters, which I'd like to reduce by one
    > or two. Is there a way to do that?

    I think you are seeing either the line-height on the text, or the
    padding on the cells. Or both.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Oct 24, 2007

  3. Scripsit jodleren:

    > It it pretty simple.

    There are no simple problems, just simple solutions, most of which are
    wrong. But what is the _problem_? We can immediately see that what you
    probably see as a solution creates serious problems, but what was the
    problem it was supposed to solve?

    > I have a stylesheet like:
    > <STYLE TYPE="text/css">
    > TABLE { font-family : "Arial", "Helvetica", "Monaco"; font-size :
    > 10.0pt; text-decoration : none;}
    > </STYLE>

    Bad style. Sizes in points cannot be easily be increased on IE, and this
    implies that they will be too small to hundreds of millions of potential
    readers. (I don't say billions, but that's just because you wouldn't believe
    it.)

    > Which means that <td>Hello world!</td> I get a font size 10.

    Maybe, maybe not. That depends on other style sheets, and even markup. But
    most of the time, you do. And that's part of a problem.

    > But I get 3 pixels above the letters, which I'd like to reduce by one
    > or two. Is there a way to do that?

    There is varying spacing above and below the letters - surely more above "e"
    than above "H". Again, what is the problem you are trying to solve?

    You could add

    table { line-height: 1; }

    to set the line height the same as the font size, which typically means that
    there is very little (or no) spacing above capital letters.

    But what would happen later? When you write "Foobar" or "Hello world",
    everything may look OK to what. Yet, some day the text will be edited to
    contain text like École, Å, etc., maybe even letters with multiple
    diacritics.

    As a rule of thumb, set line-height to a reasonable value in the document as
    a whole, e.g.

    * { line-height: 1.25; }

    (By the way, this helps against some browser bugs that have nothing to do
    with line height, really.)

    Then adjust it for specific elements _if_ problems arise, and make sure the
    problem you create is less serious than the one you are trying to solve.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 24, 2007
  4. jodleren

    rf Guest

    "jodleren" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all!
    >
    > It it pretty simple. I have a stylesheet like:
    > <STYLE TYPE="text/css">
    > TABLE { font-family : "Arial", "Helvetica", "Monaco"; font-size :
    > 10.0pt; text-decoration : none;}
    > </STYLE>
    >
    > Which means that <td>Hello world!</td> I get a font size 10.

    Which I simply cannot read.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 24, 2007
  5. jodleren

    jodleren Guest

    On Oct 24, 1:30 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "jodleren" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi all!

    > > It it pretty simple. I have a stylesheet like:
    > > <STYLE TYPE="text/css">
    > > TABLE { font-family : "Arial", "Helvetica", "Monaco"; font-size :
    > > 10.0pt; text-decoration : none;}
    > > </STYLE>

    > > Which means that <td>Hello world!</td> I get a font size 10.

    > Which I simply cannot read.

    I am aware of the problem.

    Just checked pages like http://news.bbc.co.uk/ http://www.politiken.dk
    etc. and quite many does not allow the text to be sized.

    May I ask, what is your problem (glasses, bad sight...?), and how do
    you overcome it?

    And may I ask the group, how do you make a design with graphics and
    stuff in tables/text so it allows to change the text size properly?
    In some way I fan the plain simple HTML sites, but a nice design is
    needed these days. As I found on BBC's pages, it leaves some people
    out.

    I should admit here, that even that I work with PHP and so, I am not
    at all an expert in html/design/css, more a software guy. E.g. when
    mentioned above, that 10.0pt is for printing, what is the proper way
    to do it html? personally I prefer verdana or arial, font size=2
    (which is some 10-11 pixels at my computer). Still, I do not use max
    resolution, as I have glasses too. Some 1280xwhatever is good for me
    still, though 1800x... is not.

    WBR
    Sonnich
    jodleren, Oct 24, 2007
  6. jodleren schreef:
    > On Oct 24, 1:30 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> "jodleren" <> wrote in message
    >>> Which means that <td>Hello world!</td> I get a font size 10.

    >> Which I simply cannot read.

    > I am aware of the problem.
    >
    > Just checked pages like http://news.bbc.co.uk/ http://www.politiken.dk
    > etc. and quite many does not allow the text to be sized.

    Yeah, and other people keep getting tickets for speeding.
    Some people even eat peanut-butter with jelly.

    > May I ask, what is your problem (glasses, bad sight...?), and how do
    > you overcome it?

    Some people just can't read small print. You must be crazy to want them
    to explain themselves....

    > And may I ask the group, how do you make a design with graphics and
    > stuff in tables/text so it allows to change the text size properly?

    We don't use tables for design. We make proper lay-outs, using CSS.

    []

    > I should admit here, that even that I work with PHP and so, I am not
    > at all an expert in html/design/css, more a software guy.

    That's OK,
    but then you should realize that you need to build your knowledge of
    html and css. Either read some good books or keep visiting this
    newsgroup (and others).

    > E.g. when
    > mentioned above, that 10.0pt is for printing, what is the proper way
    > to do it html? personally I prefer verdana or arial, font size=2
    > (which is some 10-11 pixels at my computer). Still, I do not use max
    > resolution, as I have glasses too. Some 1280xwhatever is good for me
    > still, though 1800x... is not.

    Doesn't that depend on the size of your screen?

    --
    Rob
    Rob Waaijenberg, Oct 24, 2007
  7. jodleren wrote:

    > Just checked pages like http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    > http://www.politiken.dk etc. and quite many does not allow the text
    > to be sized.

    They resize just fine for me. You should use a modern browser.

    > May I ask, what is your problem (glasses, bad sight...?), and how do
    > you overcome it?

    Consider that a large percentage of your visitors will not have perfect
    vision. Your solution: allow the visitor to set hir own size.

    > And may I ask the group, how do you make a design with graphics and
    > stuff in tables/text so it allows to change the text size properly?
    > In some way I fan the plain simple HTML sites, but a nice design is
    > needed these days. As I found on BBC's pages, it leaves some people
    > out.

    A 'nice' design can still be simple HTML.

    Read this: http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    > Still, I do not use max resolution, as I have glasses too. Some
    > 1280xwhatever is good for me still, though 1800x... is not.

    What about mobile phones, PDAs, and other small-screen devices?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 24, 2007
  8. jodleren

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:50:18 GMT
    Rob Waaijenberg scribed:

    >> Just checked pages like http://news.bbc.co.uk/ http://www.politiken.dk
    >> etc. and quite many does not allow the text to be sized.

    > Yeah, and other people keep getting tickets for speeding.
    > Some people even eat peanut-butter with jelly.

    Hah, in this newsgroup lots of people even eat haggis.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Just a boogar in the proboscis of life.
    Neredbojias, Oct 24, 2007
  9. jodleren

    dorayme Guest

    In article <471f3f97$0$236$4all.nl>,
    Rob Waaijenberg <> wrote:

    > jodleren schreef:
    > >
    > > May I ask, what is your problem (glasses, bad sight...?), and how do
    > > you overcome it?

    > Some people just can't read small print. You must be crazy to want them
    > to explain themselves....

    The op is asking how people cope with such small sizes when so
    coded. He is perhaps unaware at this stage about the issue and is
    groping for background. If he knew that in some browsers, eg, a
    px or pt based font size, was hard to up in size on the screen
    but that it is no barrier (just a nuisance) in other browsers, he
    might appreciate it. It might not be that he is crazy or asking
    rude personal questions or demanding justification.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 24, 2007
  10. jodleren

    Martin Clark Guest

    jodleren wrote...
    >On Oct 24, 1:30 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> "jodleren" <> wrote in message

    >> > Which means that <td>Hello world!</td> I get a font size 10.

    >> Which I simply cannot read.

    >I am aware of the problem.
    >
    >Just checked pages like http://news.bbc.co.uk/ http://www.politiken.dk
    >etc. and quite many does not allow the text to be sized.
    >
    >May I ask, what is your problem (glasses, bad sight...?),

    Bad web designers.

    >and how do you overcome it?

    I use Firefox, so that I can re-size the text if I wish.

    >And may I ask the group, how do you make a design with graphics and
    >stuff in tables/text so it allows to change the text size properly?

    Express the text size in percentages, with general text being 100%.
    Headings, etc. could be, for example, 120%.
    --
    Martin Clark
    Martin Clark, Oct 24, 2007
  11. jodleren

    rf Guest

    "jodleren" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 24, 1:30 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> "jodleren" <> wrote in message

    >> > Which means that <td>Hello world!</td> I get a font size 10.

    >> Which I simply cannot read.

    > I am aware of the problem.
    >
    > Just checked pages like http://news.bbc.co.uk/ http://www.politiken.dk
    > etc. and quite many does not allow the text to be sized.

    More fool them.

    > May I ask, what is your problem (glasses, bad sight...?),

    None of your business.

    > and how do
    > you overcome it?

    The easiest way is to Ctrl mouse wheel (after cursing the designer who
    forced this upon me). That enlarges my font size.

    (Oh, by the way, all modern browsers allow one to change font size even if
    the designer has coded in px of pt. Even the out of date Internet Explorer
    has an option to ignore font sizes that designers specify.)

    The second easiesy way, and the saddest for you, is for me to simply move on
    to the next site in my search results.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 24, 2007
  12. jodleren

    Robert Baer Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > In article <471f3f97$0$236$4all.nl>,
    > Rob Waaijenberg <> wrote:
    >

    >>jodleren schreef:
    >>
    >>>May I ask, what is your problem (glasses, bad sight...?), and how do
    >>>you overcome it?

    >>Some people just can't read small print. You must be crazy to want them
    >>to explain themselves....

    > The op is asking how people cope with such small sizes when so
    > coded. He is perhaps unaware at this stage about the issue and is
    > groping for background. If he knew that in some browsers, eg, a
    > px or pt based font size, was hard to up in size on the screen
    > but that it is no barrier (just a nuisance) in other browsers, he
    > might appreciate it. It might not be that he is crazy or asking
    > rude personal questions or demanding justification.

    ??? Small? Ten point is standard on some typewriters and seems to be
    the size one sees of text in NGs...
    Robert Baer, Oct 25, 2007
  13. jodleren

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Robert Baer <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:

    > > The op is asking how people cope with such small sizes when so
    > > coded. He is perhaps unaware at this stage about the issue and is
    > > groping for background. If he knew that in some browsers, eg, a
    > > px or pt based font size, was hard to up in size on the screen
    > > but that it is no barrier (just a nuisance) in other browsers, he
    > > might appreciate it.
    > >

    > ??? Small? Ten point is standard on some typewriters and seems to be
    > the size one sees of text in NGs...

    Gosh... typewriters... now *that* takes me back! I doubt if I
    would now be happy with the output from my first typewriter which
    was indeed in 10pt. First thing in the morning, under reasonable
    light, maybe... as the day wears on... nah...

    I don't think anyone has the energy to keep going over this stuff
    but I took another casual look at what was on the internet and I
    found this on a site that was devoted to advice on css and html:

    http://www.basictips.com/which-font-size-px-pt-em.shtml

    I mention it because there is a lot of bad advice about. OP
    should not be fooled in researches.

    Here is some more sensible stuff:

    http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    Here is something on points that starts with a promising "Many
    beginning CSS authors use points to size text, in part because
    many of them come from a desktop publishing background, where
    everything is set in points. However, points are a very bad unit
    for screen-based design"

    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=UsingPoints

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 25, 2007
  14. jodleren

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Robert Baer <> wrote:
    >
    >> ??? Small? Ten point is standard on some typewriters and seems to be
    >> the size one sees of text in NGs...

    NG? Newsgroups? Even *my* news client allows me to set the size *I* want to
    view text at.

    If you mean those forum things, well they are just sheep following all the
    other sheep.

    dorayme, you should mention *before* citing the following URL that the
    advice contained therein is bad advice and totally outdated.

    > http://www.basictips.com/which-font-size-px-pt-em.shtml
    >
    > I mention it because there is a lot of bad advice about. OP
    > should not be fooled in researches.
    >
    > Here is some more sensible stuff:
    >
    > http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    Agreed.

    > http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=UsingPoints

    So why does this site specify font-size: small?

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 25, 2007
  15. jodleren

    dorayme Guest

    In article <3GVTi.4346$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > dorayme, you should mention *before* citing the following URL that the
    > advice contained therein is bad advice and totally outdated.
    >
    > > http://www.basictips.com/which-font-size-px-pt-em.shtml
    > >
    > > I mention it because there is a lot of bad advice about. OP
    > > should not be fooled in researches.

    You program in... ? What letter was it?

    T? S? U? F? E? D? E? T? G? F?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 25, 2007
  16. jodleren

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 25 Oct 2007 06:00:10 GMT
    dorayme scribed:

    >> dorayme, you should mention *before* citing the following URL that the
    >> advice contained therein is bad advice and totally outdated.
    >>
    >> > http://www.basictips.com/which-font-size-px-pt-em.shtml
    >> >
    >> > I mention it because there is a lot of bad advice about. OP
    >> > should not be fooled in researches.
    >> >

    > You program in... ? What letter was it?
    >
    > T? S? U? F? E? D? E? T? G? F?

    How come you're always picking on rf? He's a fellow Aussie for Pete's
    sake.

    Neredbojias, Oct 25, 2007
  17. jodleren

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns99D3EC92D1AB7nanopandaneredbojias@85.214.62.108>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 25 Oct 2007 06:00:10 GMT
    > dorayme scribed:
    >
    > >> dorayme, you should mention *before* citing the following URL that the
    > >> advice contained therein is bad advice and totally outdated.

    > > You program in... ? What letter was it?
    > >
    > > T? S? U? F? E? D? E? T? G? F?

    > How come you're always picking on rf? He's a fellow Aussie for Pete's
    > sake.

    How come he is always picking on me? Or don't you notice those
    things? Perhaps you are biased towards sexist mates of yours? He
    should watch how he talks to folks *before* he talks. There are
    simple ways to be nice. He should learn them. But he invariably
    puts his big fat ski into it.

    He could have been simple and friendly. "... yes that was
    certainly poor advice in that url (as you indicate). It is
    outdated rubbish and there is no end of this sort of thing on the
    internet, you are right! Yes, that other reference, as you say,
    is much better..."

    This sort of thing, maybe not laid on quite so thick would have
    served to emphasise how bad the first URL was and correct any
    misunderstandings he *thought* everyone else stupider than
    himself might be prone to. But no. That is way too much for him.
    Perhaps he has bad role models? Instead of thinking *before* he
    *lectures* me, he comes with this crap tone. He does not think
    before *or* after. He just spews this lecturing crap. Well, he
    can shove his lectures. There are some people I would let get
    away with this. But he has been too rude to me too often. He can
    get stuffed.

    While I am at it, do you think your idiotic remarks about women
    and his provocations and snide remarks are such great things? Did
    you notice his utterly gratuitous entry into a simple and
    friendly enough exchange between Travis and me about movies
    recently? I held fire then to see if it was just going to be a
    one off (it says to do this in the FAQs on Usenet). That was the
    primer. Know what I mean? Or not as usual.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 25, 2007
  18. jodleren

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:03:12
    GMT dorayme scribed:

    >> > You program in... ? What letter was it?
    >> >
    >> > T? S? U? F? E? D? E? T? G? F?

    >> How come you're always picking on rf? He's a fellow Aussie for
    >> Pete's sake.

    > How come he is always picking on me? Or don't you notice those
    > things? Perhaps you are biased towards sexist mates of yours? He
    > should watch how he talks to folks *before* he talks. There are
    > simple ways to be nice. He should learn them. But he invariably
    > puts his big fat ski into it.
    >
    > He could have been simple and friendly. "... yes that was
    > certainly poor advice in that url (as you indicate). It is
    > outdated rubbish and there is no end of this sort of thing on the
    > internet, you are right! Yes, that other reference, as you say,
    > is much better..."
    >
    > This sort of thing, maybe not laid on quite so thick would have
    > served to emphasise how bad the first URL was and correct any
    > misunderstandings he *thought* everyone else stupider than
    > himself might be prone to. But no. That is way too much for him.
    > Perhaps he has bad role models? Instead of thinking *before* he
    > *lectures* me, he comes with this crap tone. He does not think
    > before *or* after. He just spews this lecturing crap. Well, he
    > can shove his lectures. There are some people I would let get
    > away with this. But he has been too rude to me too often. He can
    > get stuffed.
    >
    > While I am at it, do you think your idiotic remarks about women
    > and his provocations and snide remarks are such great things? Did
    > you notice his utterly gratuitous entry into a simple and
    > friendly enough exchange between Travis and me about movies
    > recently? I held fire then to see if it was just going to be a
    > one off (it says to do this in the FAQs on Usenet). That was the
    > primer. Know what I mean? Or not as usual.

    Let me ask you a fundamentally pertinent question. Do you think I'm
    dumb? You've mentioned before that I should read your messages
    _carefully_ and now you ask if I know what you mean. And, ironically,
    the last sentence in relation to the content of your post puts you smack
    dab in the middle of the "pot - kettle - black" scenario. -Or am I wrong
    again?

    Anyway, my idiotic remarks about women are meant to be idiotic remarks
    about women. They're like the Polish jokes of yore except that the
    Pollacks are broads. It's good-natured in a rueful sort of way so don't
    let it upset you.

    In regard to rf's manner of speaking, -yes, he probably could have been a
    little more polite. But guys are guys. Nowadays it seems women want
    them all to be pansies (except when they get the hots for The Hulk or
    some fantasy which satisfies their inner lust.) If we have to accept
    them (-and we do; it's either one form of abuse or the other,) they
    should accept us with similar magnanimosity. I'm not saying rf wasn't a
    trifle brusque or even egoey, but women should learn to expect that and
    handle it with graceful aplomb so as not to start a needless fuss over
    basically nothing. Containment is something which makes them desirable
    (-besides the usual equipment, of course.)

    Anyway, is it Kangaroo Day yet?

    Neredbojias, Oct 25, 2007
  19. jodleren

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns99D413BED8569nanopandaneredbojias@85.214.62.108>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > Let me ask you a fundamentally pertinent question. Do you think I'm
    > dumb? You've mentioned before that I should read your messages
    > _carefully_ and now you ask if I know what you mean.

    Then why do you *pretend* to know nothing about this arrogant
    man's attitude and remarks to me? Now that I explain some things
    to you, you suddenly show some knowledge. Funny that? You never
    gave a bloody clue before. You asked as if all innocent why *I*
    am picking on *him*? Do you see anything of bad faith in this? Do
    you know what I am saying? How smart are you? Are you very smart?
    But pretending an innocence?

    > Anyway, my idiotic remarks about women are meant to be idiotic remarks
    > about women. They're like the Polish jokes of yore except that the
    > Pollacks are broads. It's good-natured in a rueful sort of way so don't
    > let it upset you.

    Why the hell do you think Officer Bud White has not actually done
    you in completely? Because I know you have just taken some wrong
    turns, got into a bit of bad company obviously, you have kow
    towed to some awful role models and like that but you will be
    most relieved to hear that you are not essentially bad.

    Look I *am* in a very bad mood, it *is* true. I don't appreciate
    anyone *asterisking* his way in put-downs of or lecturing of me
    or making snide remarks about men another thread. It is really
    simple. If he was polite, he would get it back in the same
    coinage.

    I am sorry, but that is how I feel. I have generally kept away
    from all this crap but when I am called out, I come out. Gary
    Cooper, Charles Bronson, John Wayne, Annie (of Annie Get your
    Gun) and Kirk Douglas all did the same before me. Why should a
    Martian be left out of a line up like this?

    > In regard to rf's manner of speaking, -yes, he probably could have been a
    > little more polite. But guys are guys. Nowadays it seems women want
    > them all to be pansies

    This is just more pure crap in your mind. No woman on God's earth
    wants men to be pansies. Where you get these silly ideas I do not
    know. I lie! I do know, they make you feel better about yourself.
    You schmuck!

    >(except when they get the hots for The Hulk or
    > some fantasy which satisfies their inner lust.) If we have to accept
    > them (-and we do; it's either one form of abuse or the other,) they
    > should accept us with similar magnanimosity. I'm not saying rf wasn't a
    > trifle brusque or even egoey, but women should learn to expect that and
    > handle it with graceful aplomb so as not to start a needless fuss over
    > basically nothing. Containment is something which makes them desirable
    > (-besides the usual equipment, of course.)

    Look, this crap seems to me to be as offensive to any decent
    fellers as to any women. You are simply not getting it are you?
    You are ignorant about your own manly history, mate. Go and see
    some American westerns. You will see plenty of examples of good
    American male role models there. In fact, mostly, the male heroes
    are touchingly impressive in their respect for females. You are
    following the wrong models.

    Boji, I have always had this faith in your improvement. Please do
    not disappoint me.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 25, 2007
  20. rf wrote:

    > dorayme, you should mention *before* citing the following URL that the
    > advice contained therein is bad advice and totally outdated.
    >
    >> hXXp://www.basictips.com/which-font-size-px-pt-em.shtml

    I was thinking the same thing. <g>

    It says, "Using a pt or em font-size property instead of px allows for
    your site text to be resized according to the viewer's system settings."

    Whoohoo. Great for all the folks with perfect vision.

    It goes on, "If their system is set to view very large text, your web
    site's layout will become distorted and your web site may be illegible
    to them."

    Not if you use ems or percentages, and layout your page correctly...

    >> I mention it because there is a lot of bad advice about. OP
    >> should not be fooled in researches.

    Oh, she did say so, but 'after the fact.'

    >> Here is some more sensible stuff:
    >>
    >> http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    > Agreed.

    Thenk yew.