    I can work around that (plain old mktemp() or mkstemp() and have my
    tearDown() method do the cleanup), but the more I look at this, the more
    I'm scratching my head why NamedTemporaryFile exists.
    Roy Smith, Dec 31, 2010

  2. I'm a bad person, but one use case I have is for shuffling templates
    around such that:

    * An inherited ('parent') template can be stored in a database.
    * The 'views' of my application are told to either use the real master
    template or the db parent template.
    * The rendering engine loads the parent from disk.

    Thus I create a NamedTemporaryFile (with some custom prefix and suffix
    stuff), write the parent template from DB to it, flush, then let the
    rendering engine do its thing. Works like a hot damn, and lets the
    users of my CMS manage custom layouts from within the CMS.

    Templates are cached using the CMS template path as the dict key, and a
    2-tuple of modification time and the NamedTemporaryFile as the value.
    Cleanup of old versions on-disk is simple: just close the file!

    - Alice.
    Alice Bevan–McGregor, Dec 31, 2010