Templated identity matrix with parameterize order?

Steven T. Hatton

The following works:

template <typename T>
struct ID3M{
static const T ID[3][3];
};

template <typename T>
const T ID3M<T>::ID[3][3] = {{1,0,0},{0,1,0},{0,0,1}};

Is there a way to generalize this to take a parameter specifying the
order(number of elements per row)? The first part's easy:

template <typename T, unsigned ORDER>
struct IDM{
static const T ID[ORDER][ORDER];
};

But how can that be initialized to have 1's along the main diagonal and 0's
elsewhere?
--
"If our hypothesis is about anything and not about some one or more
are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand

Patrick Kowalzick

Dear Steven,

I am a little bit scared not to answer your question, and then I will get a
harsh response.
Did you think about something like this (avoiding your problem)?

template <typename T, size_t dim>
struct IDM
{

static size_t size1() { return dim; }
static size_t size2() { return dim; }

T operator[](const size_t & index1, const size_t & index2) const
{
// range checking if needed
if (index1 == index2) return 1;
else return 0;
}
};

Regards,
Patrick

Steven T. Hatton

Patrick said:
Dear Steven,

I am a little bit scared not to answer your question, and then I will get
a harsh response.
Did you think about something like this (avoiding your problem)?

template <typename T, size_t dim>
struct IDM
{

static size_t size1() { return dim; }
static size_t size2() { return dim; }

T operator[](const size_t & index1, const size_t & index2) const
{
// range checking if needed
if (index1 == index2) return 1;
else return 0;
}
};

Yes. I thought about it. I even wrote the code, and then realized it won't
serve my purposes. I can't pass it as an array, and I'm not sure it will
have the same performance as using an actual array. I did come up with /a/
solution. It's not my idea of elegant, but it seems to work.

Java has something called static member initialization blocks which allow
you to execute code the first time a class is loaded. I don't know if that
could be added to C++, but it sure is nice. Then again, I don't believ you
can make the members of a Java array constant. If you can access the array,
you can modify it.

This is not a finished product, just a rough draft:

* Copyright (C) 2004 by Steven T. Hatton *
* (e-mail address removed) *
* *
* This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify *
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by *
* the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or *
* (at your option) any later version. *
* *
* This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, *
* but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of *
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the *
* GNU General Public License for more details. *
* *
* You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License *
* along with this program; if not, write to the *
* Free Software Foundation, Inc., *
* 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. *
***************************************************************************/
#ifndef TENSOR_HH
#define TENSOR_HH
#include "sth/util/Printable_IF.hh" // ABC: print() and operator<<(&ostream)
#include "vmath_impl.hh" // namespace_name
namespace sth{
namespace vmath{
namespace {
using sth::util::printable_IF;
using std::string;
using std::eek:stream;
}

template <typename T, unsigned ORDER>
class IDM{
T _m[ORDER][ORDER];
public:
typedef const T (&ref)[ORDER][ORDER];
IDM()
:ID(_m)
{
for(unsigned i = 0; i < ORDER; i++)
{
for(unsigned j = 0; j < ORDER; j++)
{
_m[j] = i == j ? T(1): T(0);
ref ID;
};

template<typename T, unsigned RANK, unsigned ORDER>
class Tensor: public Printable_IF {
public:
typedef const T (&ref)[ORDER][ORDER];
static const string class_name;
static const unsigned _RANK = RANK;
static const unsigned _ORDER = ORDER;

Tensor()
{}

virtual ostream& print(ostream& out) const;

protected:
static const ref _ID;
static const IDM<T, ORDER> _IDM;
};

template<typename T, unsigned RANK, unsigned ORDER>
const string Tensor<T, RANK, ORDER>::class_name = "Tensor<T,RANK,
ORDER>";

template<typename T, unsigned RANK, unsigned ORDER>
const IDM<T, ORDER> Tensor<T, RANK, ORDER>::_IDM = IDM<T, ORDER>();

template<typename T, unsigned RANK, unsigned ORDER>
const T (&Tensor<T, RANK, ORDER>::_ID)[ORDER][ORDER] = Tensor<T, RANK,
ORDER>::_IDM.ID;

template<typename T, unsigned RANK, unsigned ORDER>
ostream& Tensor<T, RANK, ORDER>::print(ostream& out) const
{
return out << namespace_name << "::" << class_name << "\n";

#endif

--
"If our hypothesis is about anything and not about some one or more
are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand
Russell

Rob Williscroft

Steven T. Hatton wrote in in
comp.lang.c++:
The following works:

template <typename T>
struct ID3M{
static const T ID[3][3];
};

template <typename T>
const T ID3M<T>::ID[3][3] = {{1,0,0},{0,1,0},{0,0,1}};

Is there a way to generalize this to take a parameter specifying the
order(number of elements per row)? The first part's easy:

template <typename T, unsigned ORDER>
struct IDM{
static const T ID[ORDER][ORDER];
};

But how can that be initialized to have 1's along the main diagonal
and 0's elsewhere?

#include <iostream>

template < unsigned Order >
struct array2
{
int array[ Order ][ Order ];

typedef int const (&const_array1_t)[ Order ];

const_array1_t operator [] ( unsigned i ) const
{
return array[ i ];
}

array2()
{
for ( unsigned i = 0; i < Order; ++i )
{
for ( unsigned j = 0; j < Order; ++j )
{
array[ i ][ j ] = int( i == j );
};

template < unsigned Order >
struct eg
{
static array2< Order > const id;
};

template < unsigned Order>
array2< Order > const eg< Order >::id;

int main()
{
for ( unsigned i = 0; i < 4; ++i )
{
for ( unsigned j = 0; j < 4 ; ++j )
{
if ( j ) std::cout << ", ";

std::cout << eg< 4 >::id[ i ][ j ];
}
std::cout << '\n';

Note the complete lack of UPPERCASE identifier's, excepting
single character template paramiters, such things should be
reserved for preprocesor #define's, anything else is asking
for trouble.

HTH.

Rob.

Patrick Kowalzick

Dear Steven,
Java has something called static member initialization blocks which allow
you to execute code the first time a class is loaded. I don't know if that
could be added to C++, but it sure is nice.

Something like this? I hope it is compliant, but I think so.

#include <iostream>

struct StaticInit
{
StaticInit()
{
if ( !getinit() ) init();
}
void init()
{
std::cout << "Just called the first time...." << std::endl;
}
bool getinit() {
static bool initzed = false;
if (initzed) return true;
initzed = true;
return false;
}
};

int main()
StaticInit A;
}
StaticInit B;
return 0;

Patrick Kowalzick

Better like this (a lit clearer and with possibility to init directly):

#include <iostream>

struct StaticInit
{
StaticInit()
{
static_init();
}

static void static_init()
{
static bool initzed = false;
if (!initzed)
{
initzed = true;
initcalled();

static void initcalled()
{

Patrick said:
[...]

In TC++PL(SE) (http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html) this kind of
approach is discussed. IIRC, there were some qualifications involving
dynamic linking. I'll have to think about this some more. (Or look it up.)

What I was talking about in Java is shown in this example from TJPL(3E) page
49:

class Primes {
static int[] knownPrimes = new int[4];
// static int knownPrimes[4];

static { // *static* *initialization* *block*
knownPrimes[0] = 2;
for(int i = 1; i < knownPrimes.length; i++)
//for(size_t i = 0; i < sizeof(knownPrimes)/sizeof(knownPrimes[0]);i++)
knownPrimes = nextPrime();
}
// declaration of nextPrime ...
}

But, as I said, you can't make the elements of knownPrimes constant. If you
can access the array, you can change the elements.

Perhaps I could cast away constness to initialize my arrays? Is that
safe...wise?

I believe what I'm doing with the initialization at the point of definition
in the kludge I posted earlier is effectively similar to what you are
showing above. I find the syntax rather awkward, but it works.

I'm confident the CPP would provide a means of creating the nested {{{..
{0,0,...,1,0,0,...,0}...}} of arbitrary depth. I am trying very hard to
_never_ use function or object type macros. That's part of the reason I'm
working on my own vector math library. Every time I looked at the
currently available libraries, I found macros were being used. I'm trying
to determine where they are actually necessary, and what the C++ native
alternatives to the existing macros might be.

Steven T. Hatton

Rob said:
#include <iostream>

template < unsigned Order >
struct array2
{
[...]

This certainly seems close, and it has some very good ideas in it. The one
thing I believe it lacks is the ability to convert array2 to int[Order
[Order]. I'm not sure if a conversion operator can be invoked when passing
a reference to array2. I'll have to experiment.
preprocesor #define's,

With the one exception of header guards, I don't do that.
--
"If our hypothesis is about anything and not about some one or more
are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand
Russell

Gerhard Wesp

Steven T. Hatton said:
serve my purposes. I can't pass it as an array, and I'm not sure it will
have the same performance as using an actual array. I did come up with /a/

You konw about expression templates (ETs)? This is the way modern LA
packages are typically implemented in C++. A matrix is not a concrete
type, but a class of types (a so-called ``concept''). This may be one
or more templates with some common properties like:

- member functions giving the number of rows and columns
- an element type
- an access operator
- ...

ET's have numerous advantages over simplistic approaches with a single
matrix type.

Cheers
-Gerhard

Patrick Kowalzick

Dear Steven,
I'm confident the CPP would provide a means of creating the nested {{{..
{0,0,...,1,0,0,...,0}...}} of arbitrary depth. I am trying very hard to
_never_ use function or object type macros. That's part of the reason I'm
working on my own vector math library. Every time I looked at the
currently available libraries, I found macros were being used. I'm trying
to determine where they are actually necessary, and what the C++ native
alternatives to the existing macros might be.

I like macros :), but I try to avoid them as well. And I do not mind if
there are macros in the libs, espacially when I use them as a "black box".

There are quite some reasons to use macros in libraries, e.g.:
-having different versions for debugging / not debugging
-having different versions for testing / stable
-implement workarounds for non compliant compilers (nearly every one)
-repetetive code, e.g. for classes which are similar and only have semantic
differences

The rest I forgot, but I think macros are handy tools, and I do not want to
miss them.

Regards,
Patrick