Temporary Object Lifetime

better_cs_now

Hello all,

class Foo {/* Details don't matter */};

class Bar {
public:
Bar(): m_Foo(/* Construct a Foo however it wants to be constructed
*/);
const Foo &GetFoo() const { return m_Foo; }
private:
Foo m_Foo;
};

int main() {
const Foo &OneFoo = Bar().GetFoo();
// Do stuff with OneFoo. Is this legal given the use of
// temporaries above?
}

Thanks,
Dave

Darío Griffo

int main() {
const Foo &OneFoo = Bar().GetFoo();
// Do stuff with OneFoo. Is this legal given the use of
// temporaries above?

Not it is not.
Check this out and give your self an answer
#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>

class Foo {
public:
~Foo(){std::cerr << "die foo" << std::endl;}
};

class Bar {
public:
Bar(): m_Foo(){}
~Bar(){std::cerr << "die bar" << std::endl;}
const Foo &GetFoo() const { return m_Foo; }
private:
Foo m_Foo;

};

int main() {
const Foo &OneFoo = Bar().GetFoo();
std::cerr << "do stuff with OneFoo?" << std::endl;

James Kanze

class Foo {/* Details don't matter */};
class Bar {
public:
Bar(): m_Foo(/* Construct a Foo however it wants to be constructed
*/);
const Foo &GetFoo() const { return m_Foo; }
private:
Foo m_Foo;
};
int main() {
const Foo &OneFoo = Bar().GetFoo();
// Do stuff with OneFoo. Is this legal given the use of
// temporaries above?
}

No. The lifetime of the temporary is until the end of the full
expression. The lifetime of a temporary will be extended if it
is used to initialize a const reference, but that's not the case
anywhere in your code above. (The reference in the return value
is initialized with an lvalue, not a temporary, and the
reference in main is initialized with another reference.)

James Kanze

I don't believe so. The 'Bar' temporary is not bound to the
reference, so it's not going to live beyond 'OneFoo's
initialisation.

That's irrelevant. The fact that a reference is bound to a
temporary has no effect on the lifetime of the temporary. The
only time the lifetime of the temporary is extended is when the
temporary is used to initialize the reference, and that's not
the case here: the reference in main is initialized with another
reference, and the reference returned by Bar::GetFoo() is
initialized by an lvalue, not a temporary (and reference return
values are a special case anyway, and don't extend the lifetime
of the temporary, even if they're initialized with one).
Had 'Bar' derived from 'Foo' *and* you did
const Foo &OneFoo = Bar();
, then the 'Bar' would have a subobject of type 'Foo' that ought to
survive longer than the full expression, and as the superobject to the
temporary bound to a reference, the 'Bar' temporary would have to stay
alive as long as 'OneFoo'.
But your case is not that. In your case you create a
reference to a data member (which does live even shorter than
the 'Bar' object that contains it), so as soon as the
initialisation is complete, the 'OneFoo' reference becomes
*invalid*.

The key isn't whether something is a subobject or not. In his
initial example, the reference is bound to a sub-object of the
temporary as well. The key here is that the temporary is
initializing the reference directly; if m_Foo were public and
you wrote:

Foo const& &OneFoo = Bar().m_Foo ;

it would be fine as well. It's the indirections in his case
which break the code.

Ucayaly Fish

Hi,
That's irrelevant. The fact that a reference is bound to a
temporary has no effect on the lifetime of the temporary. The
only time the lifetime of the temporary is extended is when the
temporary is used to initialize the reference,

Is it a compiler deficiency or regular standard complience if
additional copy constructor is called during such an initialization?

Slightly modified sample with string member and a pointer:

===code tmptst1.cpp ===

#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <string>

class Foo {
public:
Foo( const std::string& str ) : msg(str), p(0)
{std::cerr << "up foo" << std::endl;
p = new char[10];}
Foo( const Foo& src ) : msg( "bad foo" ), p(0)
{std::cerr << "copy foo" << std::endl;
p = new char[20];}
~Foo()
{std::cerr << "die foo" << std::endl;
delete[] p;}
void doSomeThing() const { std::cout << msg << std::endl; }
private:
std::string msg;
char* p;

};

class Bar {
public:
Bar( const std::string& str ): m_Foo( str )
{std::cerr << "up bar" << std::endl;}
~Bar(){std::cerr << "die bar" << std::endl;}
const Foo &GetFoo() const { return m_Foo; }

Foo m_Foo;

};

int main() {
// const Foo &OneFoo = Bar( "Hi there!" ).GetFoo();
const Foo &OneFoo = Bar( "Hi there!" ).m_Foo;
std::cerr << "do stuff with OneFoo?" << std::endl;
OneFoo.doSomeThing();

}
===code tmptst1.cpp ===
produces this output if compiled with MSVC.NET 2008

cl /EHsc /O2 /NDEBUG tmptst1.cpp

up foo
up bar
copy foo
die bar
die foo
do stuff with OneFoo?
bad foo
die foo

James Kanze

Is it a compiler deficiency or regular standard complience if
additional copy constructor is called during such an initialization?

Yes:).

Seriously, it depends on what version of the standard you're
looking at. All of the currently approved versions *require* a
copy (and then authorize it to be optimized away).
[...]

The standard isn't really very clear here. My interpretation
was that it more or less required the Bar object to be
destructed at the end of the full expression, while requiring
that the Foo object have its lifetime extended (and that this
was the motivation behind "allowing" the copy). This section
has been reworked some in the current draft, and FROM MEMORY, I
think the draft forbids the copy, and requires extension of the
Bar object's (the containing object's) lifetime. We're in the
middle of moving here, however, and my copies of the various
versions of the standard are on a network which is not reachable
for the moment, so I can't verify this one way or the other.
===code tmptst1.cpp ===
produces this output if compiled with MSVC.NET 2008
cl /EHsc /O2 /NDEBUG tmptst1.cpp
up foo
up bar
copy foo
die bar
die foo
do stuff with OneFoo?
bad foo
die foo

It's definitely conform with C++03, and from memory, it's also
what g++ does (but since NIS isn't working, I can only access
local disks on my Unix machines, so I can't try anything).

Arguably, the compiler is required to call Bar's destructor at
the end of the full expression, and if it does, the only way to
extend the lifetime of the temporary is to make a copy.