Text and image overlap in Safari

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Rich, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    I am receiving come complains from some of my clients that
    text and images are overlapping on web sites that I have
    developed when viewed with Safari 2.0 and Mac OS 10.4.2.
    These web sites do not have this problem when viewed with
    Internet Explorer or FireFox on a PC. Unfortunately, I do
    not have a MAC and cannot observe or troubleshoot this
    problem myself, but a client has provided me with a PDF of
    what he sees (http://www.my5pillars.com/overlap.pdf).

    A sample of one of the actual web sites with this problem is
    at http://www.5pillars.com/rkotter.

    Can anyone in this group help me figure out what is causing
    this overlap, or point me to another appropriate discussion
    forum that may be able to help?

    The web sites in question can only be created or edited
    using a web site editor that only allows part of the page to
    be programmed externally, and then that code is included in
    the template provided by the web site editor. In the source
    code, the code that I have produced is enclosed with
    copyright statements and the code outside of those areas is
    provided by the web site editor template and cannot be
    changed by me.

    Thanks for any help you can give.

    Rich
    Rich, Aug 4, 2005

  2. Rich

    kchayka Guest

    Rich wrote:

    > I am receiving come complains from some of my clients that
    > text and images are overlapping
    >
    > A sample of one of the actual web sites with this problem is
    > at http://www.5pillars.com/rkotter.

    The code on this page is unbelievably bad. Consider yourself lucky that
    any browser renders it remotely as you intended. Needless to say, I
    wouldn't even begin to try and debug it.

    > Thanks for any help you can give.

    Scrap it and start over?

    kchayka, Aug 4, 2005

  3. In article <dctqk9$fbr$>,
    "Rich" <> wrote:

    > A sample of one of the actual web sites with this problem is
    > at http://www.5pillars.com/rkotter.

    It happens in Safari 1.3 on OS 10.3.9 also. But not in Firefox on the
    same OS. Validation at W3c sure didn't like it.
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.5pillars.com/rkotte
    r%2F> You might try to do your best to correct validation errors, or
    kiss off the majority of the Mac OSX users that use Safari. Well, it's
    still usable but unstylish.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
    Leonard Blaisdell, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Rich

    mbstevens Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > I am receiving come complains from some of my clients that

    > A sample of one of the actual web sites with this problem is
    > at http://www.5pillars.com/rkotter.

    The page does not have a doc type. This can lead to browsers
    not knowing how to correctly display your markup, and to the
    validator at http://validator.w3.org being unable to
    validate it correctly. Correct and validate. If id doesn't
    validate -- fix the things it tells you about.

    Your page uses deprecated markup. Perhaps your source of information
    is old. Try changing to more modern markup.
    The most common sympton of deprecated markup is
    placing instructions about where or how a thing is displayed in
    the (X)HTML markup instead of CSS.

    Your page uses non-semantic markup. There is a special
    tag for almost anything you'll need, but you are ignoring
    these tags.
    Typical example:
    1) If some information is a list, it should be marked up
    as a list (<ul> or <ol>), not as a table.

    Link mouseovers are written with a big chunk of JavaScript.
    That is the old way to do it. Use the quicker loading, faster
    working CSS hovers. How old is the reference you are using?
    It might be time for an update, and more study of CSS.
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com/cgi/mkatt.pl?name=python/Critique_Generator
    mbstevens, Aug 5, 2005
  5. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Thank you for the suggestions. I have now cleaned up this
    code so that it validates correctly and have reposted it at
    <a
    href="http://www.my5pillars.com/rkotter.htm">http://www.my5pillars.com/rkotter.htm</a>.

    <b>Safari users</b>: Please tell me if the text is still
    overlapping the picture at the top of the page or the second
    picture farther down the page.

    Thanks for any help you can lend.

    Rich

    Rich, Aug 5, 2005
  6. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Let's try this again...

    Thank you for the suggestions. I have now cleaned up this
    code so that it validates correctly and have reposted it at
    http://www.my5pillars.com/rkotter.htm"

    SAFARI USERS: Please tell me if the text is still

    Rich, Aug 5, 2005
  7. In article <dcupmg$lcg$>,
    "Rich" <> wrote:

    > Thank you for the suggestions. I have now cleaned up this
    > code so that it validates correctly and have reposted it at
    > http://www.my5pillars.com/rkotter.htm
    >
    > <b>Safari users</b>: Please tell me if the text is still
    > overlapping the picture at the top of the page or the second
    > picture farther down the page.

    I'm using Safari and don't see any significant layout issues.

    --
    Joel.
    Joel Shepherd, Aug 5, 2005
  8. In article <dcupqe$lmb$>,
    "Rich" <> wrote:

    > Let's try this again...
    >
    > Thank you for the suggestions. I have now cleaned up this
    > code so that it validates correctly and have reposted it at
    > http://www.my5pillars.com/rkotter.htm"

    I haven't checked validation but quickly done!

    > SAFARI USERS: Please tell me if the text is still
    > overlapping the picture at the top of the page or the second
    > picture farther down the page.

    Everything appears OK on my version of Safari that was cattywampus
    before.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/