Text and image overlap in Safari

Rich

I am receiving come complains from some of my clients that
text and images are overlapping on web sites that I have
developed when viewed with Safari 2.0 and Mac OS 10.4.2.
These web sites do not have this problem when viewed with
Internet Explorer or FireFox on a PC. Unfortunately, I do
not have a MAC and cannot observe or troubleshoot this
problem myself, but a client has provided me with a PDF of
what he sees (http://www.my5pillars.com/overlap.pdf).

A sample of one of the actual web sites with this problem is
at http://www.5pillars.com/rkotter.

Can anyone in this group help me figure out what is causing
this overlap, or point me to another appropriate discussion
forum that may be able to help?

The web sites in question can only be created or edited
using a web site editor that only allows part of the page to
be programmed externally, and then that code is included in
the template provided by the web site editor. In the source
code, the code that I have produced is enclosed with
copyright statements and the code outside of those areas is
provided by the web site editor template and cannot be
changed by me.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Rich

kchayka

Rich said:
I am receiving come complains from some of my clients that
text and images are overlapping

A sample of one of the actual web sites with this problem is
at http://www.5pillars.com/rkotter.

The code on this page is unbelievably bad. Consider yourself lucky that
any browser renders it remotely as you intended. Needless to say, I
wouldn't even begin to try and debug it.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Scrap it and start over?

Leonard Blaisdell

mbstevens

Rich said:
I am receiving come complains from some of my clients that
A sample of one of the actual web sites with this problem is
at http://www.5pillars.com/rkotter.
The page does not have a doc type. This can lead to browsers
not knowing how to correctly display your markup, and to the
validator at http://validator.w3.org being unable to
validate it correctly. Correct and validate. If id doesn't
validate -- fix the things it tells you about.

Your page uses deprecated markup. Perhaps your source of information
is old. Try changing to more modern markup.
The most common sympton of deprecated markup is
placing instructions about where or how a thing is displayed in
the (X)HTML markup instead of CSS.

Your page uses non-semantic markup. There is a special
tag for almost anything you'll need, but you are ignoring
these tags.
Typical example:
1) If some information is a list, it should be marked up
as a list (<ul> or <ol>), not as a table.

Link mouseovers are written with a big chunk of JavaScript.
That is the old way to do it. Use the quicker loading, faster
working CSS hovers. How old is the reference you are using?
It might be time for an update, and more study of CSS.

Rich

Let's try this again...

Thank you for the suggestions. I have now cleaned up this
code so that it validates correctly and have reposted it at
http://www.my5pillars.com/rkotter.htm"

SAFARI USERS: Please tell me if the text is still
overlapping the picture at the top of the page or the second
picture farther down the page.

Thanks for any help you can lend.

Rich

Joel Shepherd

Rich said:
Thank you for the suggestions. I have now cleaned up this
code so that it validates correctly and have reposted it at
http://www.my5pillars.com/rkotter.htm

<b>Safari users</b>: Please tell me if the text is still
overlapping the picture at the top of the page or the second
picture farther down the page.

I'm using Safari and don't see any significant layout issues.

Leonard Blaisdell

Rich said:
Let's try this again...

Thank you for the suggestions. I have now cleaned up this
code so that it validates correctly and have reposted it at
http://www.my5pillars.com/rkotter.htm"

I haven't checked validation but quickly done!
SAFARI USERS: Please tell me if the text is still
overlapping the picture at the top of the page or the second
picture farther down the page.

Everything appears OK on my version of Safari that was cattywampus
before.

leo