Text appears in "View Source" but not on screen

swetha

I have a weird problem regarding Arabic text display on my html page.
Part of the text I wish to display does not show up on the screen but
when I right-click to "View Source" I can find it in the source. This
happens only while I'm trying to display Arabic text on the page. The
same page when displayed in English looks absolutely fine. Displaying
Arabic text on other pages is not posing any problem.

Following is the jsp code being used:

<%
if(i < size)
{
%>
<c:set var="ttl" value="<%="tD" + i%>"/>
<c:set var="tr" value="<%="tr" + i%>"/>
<fmt:message key="${tr}"/>
<%
}
%>

When i = 0, the var tr0 does not appear on the html page displayed on
my browser but appears in the View Source. Also, the tr0 property is
present in my properties file from which the values are retrieved (or
it would not appear in the source).

What's happening here? Any suggestions?

Swetha

Roedy Green

What's happening here? Any suggestions?

1. check the meta-data at the head of the generated file to make sure
you have the encoding matching the file. see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlcheat.html

2. use Firefox inspector to see what fonts in the CSS style sheet are
being used to render the Arabic. Make sure all the fonts you specify
support Arabic. see http://mindprod.com/applet/fontshower.html

3. Make sure that the Arabic-capable font is installed.
See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/font.html

4. Make sure your browser supports Arabic by testing it on some Arabic
websites that don't use images to render the Arabic.

Andrew Thompson

swetha said:
I have a weird problem regarding Arabic text display on my html page.

This has somehing to do with Java?
Following is the jsp code being used:

Oh. OK. JSP can churn out plain old HTML, which is really
where you should be pursuing the technical solution. Code a
plain old (valid) HTML 4.01 strict page that achieves the effect
you are after, and that will most likely be trivial to generate
using JSP ..servlets ..ASP or PHP.
What's happening here? Any suggestions?

Suggestions? Validate your HTML*. And stop bugging
us with off-topic questions. 'JSP' has nothing to do with
this problem.

* <http://validator.w3.org/>

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/

swetha

1. check the meta-data at the head of the generated file to make sure
you have the encoding matching the file. seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlcheat.html

2. use Firefox inspector to see what fonts in the CSS style sheet are
being used to render the Arabic. Make sure all the fonts you specify
support Arabic. seehttp://mindprod.com/applet/fontshower.html

3. Make sure that the Arabic-capable font is installed.
Seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/font.html

4. Make sure your browser supports Arabic by testing it on some Arabic
websites that don't use images to render the Arabic.

If any of these were not as they should be shouldn't I have a problem
displaying all Arabic text? Most of the Arabic text on this page is
displayed. It's just the first value that doesn't show up.