Text appears in "View Source" but not on screen

Discussion in 'Java' started by swetha, Dec 2, 2007.

  1. swetha

    swetha Guest

    I have a weird problem regarding Arabic text display on my html page.
    Part of the text I wish to display does not show up on the screen but
    when I right-click to "View Source" I can find it in the source. This
    happens only while I'm trying to display Arabic text on the page. The
    same page when displayed in English looks absolutely fine. Displaying
    Arabic text on other pages is not posing any problem.

    Following is the jsp code being used:

    <%
    if(i < size)
    {
    %>
    <c:set var="ttl" value="<%="tD" + i%>"/>
    <c:set var="tr" value="<%="tr" + i%>"/>
    <fmt:message key="${tr}"/>
    <%
    }
    %>

    When i = 0, the var tr0 does not appear on the html page displayed on
    my browser but appears in the View Source. Also, the tr0 property is
    present in my properties file from which the values are retrieved (or
    it would not appear in the source).

    What's happening here? Any suggestions?

    Swetha
    swetha, Dec 2, 2007

  2. swetha

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 03:53:50 -0800 (PST), swetha
    who said :

    >What's happening here? Any suggestions?

    1. check the meta-data at the head of the generated file to make sure
    you have the encoding matching the file. see
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlcheat.html

    2. use Firefox inspector to see what fonts in the CSS style sheet are
    being used to render the Arabic. Make sure all the fonts you specify
    support Arabic. see http://mindprod.com/applet/fontshower.html

    3. Make sure that the Arabic-capable font is installed.
    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/font.html

    4. Make sure your browser supports Arabic by testing it on some Arabic
    websites that don't use images to render the Arabic.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Dec 2, 2007

  3. swetha wrote:
    >I have a weird problem regarding Arabic text display on my html page.

    This has somehing to do with Java?

    >Following is the jsp code being used:

    Oh. OK. JSP can churn out plain old HTML, which is really
    where you should be pursuing the technical solution. Code a
    plain old (valid) HTML 4.01 strict page that achieves the effect
    you are after, and that will most likely be trivial to generate
    using JSP ..servlets ..ASP or PHP.

    >What's happening here? Any suggestions?

    Suggestions? Validate your HTML*. And stop bugging
    us with off-topic questions. 'JSP' has nothing to do with
    this problem.

    * <http://validator.w3.org/>

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.physci.org/

    Andrew Thompson, Dec 2, 2007
  4. swetha

    swetha Guest

    On Dec 2, 3:31 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:

    > 1. check the meta-data at the head of the generated file to make sure
    > you have the encoding matching the file. seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlcheat.html
    >
    > 2. use Firefox inspector to see what fonts in the CSS style sheet are
    > being used to render the Arabic. Make sure all the fonts you specify
    > support Arabic. seehttp://mindprod.com/applet/fontshower.html
    >
    > 3. Make sure that the Arabic-capable font is installed.
    > Seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/font.html
    >
    > 4. Make sure your browser supports Arabic by testing it on some Arabic
    > websites that don't use images to render the Arabic.

    If any of these were not as they should be shouldn't I have a problem
    displaying all Arabic text? Most of the Arabic text on this page is
    displayed. It's just the first value that doesn't show up.
    swetha, Dec 2, 2007