    will not send enough data to the server. How do I build an unlimited text
    box?

    Steve

    Steve, Sep 9, 2004

  2. *Steve* wrote in alt.html:
    > Hello,
    > I am trying to build a text editor with HTML. I need to display and edit
    > a large amount of data. I cannot use a text box or text area because they
    > will not send enough data to the server. How do I build an unlimited text
    > box?

    I'm guessing here that your assumption is based on using a form
    submission method of 'get'. Using 'post' instead I'd be surprised if you
    could reach any arbitrary data limits set by your server. Are you really
    seeing submission limits via 'post'?
    --
    Andrew Urquhart
    - FAQ: http://www.html-faq.com

    Andrew Urquhart, Sep 9, 2004

  3. Steve

    rf Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > Hello,

    Er, G'day.

    > I am trying to build a text editor with HTML.

    A monumental task, considering that HTML is not a programming language but
    rather a markup language.

    > I need to display and edit
    > a large amount of data.

    Er, OK, we are already in trouble.

    > I cannot use a text box or text area because they
    > will not send enough data to the server.

    This is correct. There are arbitrary limits. They depend on get or post but
    they are usually limited to around 4K or so IIRC.

    > How do I build an unlimited text
    > box?

    You don't.

    Rethink your application. It is not suitable for expression in a web based
    scenario.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Steve

    Jim Higson Guest

    rf wrote:

    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,

    > Er, G'day.
    >
    >> I am trying to build a text editor with HTML.

    > A monumental task, considering that HTML is not a programming language but
    > rather a markup language.
    >
    >> I need to display and edit
    >> a large amount of data.

    > Er, OK, we are already in trouble.
    >
    >> I cannot use a text box or text area because they
    >> will not send enough data to the server.

    > This is correct. There are arbitrary limits. They depend on get or post
    > but they are usually limited to around 4K or so IIRC.
    >
    >> How do I build an unlimited text
    >> box?

    > You don't.
    >
    > Rethink your application. It is not suitable for expression in a web based
    > scenario.

    Except possibly as Java applets.
    Although that's more application programming than web programming. And I
    don't know what hell you could do for those without a Java RTE?!

    If you need to build a text editor (I don't know why, there are plenty
    already) I think it would have to be offline.

    Jim Higson, Sep 9, 2004
  5. Steve

    Amos E Wolfe Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message

    > Hello,
    > I am trying to build a text editor with HTML. I need to display and

    edit
    > a large amount of data. I cannot use a text box or text area because they
    > will not send enough data to the server. How do I build an unlimited text
    > box?
    >
    > Steve

    Why not suggest the user creates and saves a .txt file in Notepad (or
    non-Windows equivalent) and then include a file upload form, complete with
    "browse" button?

    -=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

    Amos E Wolfe, Sep 12, 2004