{text-decoration: none} Broken

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul Furman, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    My {text-decoration: none} stopped working. Sorry, I don't want to
    upload the messed up one but the css file is below. Any clues what might
    cause this? It effects all my links regardless of td, table, div, etc.
    In IE & Mozilla.

    Here's a beginning snippet of a page's source:

    <head>
    charset=iso-8859-1">
    <title>Paul Furman</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="paul.css">
    </head>

    BACKGROUND="http://www.edgehill.net/paul-background.jpg"
    BGPROPERTIES="FIXED"
    TEXT="#444444"

    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    <a
    href="http://localhost/index.php?SCREEN=class-links.php">class-links</a>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

    and the complete style sheet:
    (a work in progress)

    a {text-decoration: none;}
    a:link {color: #9B4457;}
    a:visited {color: #6633CC;}
    a:hover {color: #339966;}
    a:active {color: red;}

    body {
    font-family: Times New Roman;
    background-color: #CCD8CD;
    }

    /*
    a:link img {border:4px solid #CCD8CD;}
    a:visited img {border:4px solid #CCD8CD;}
    a:hover img {border:4px solid red;}
    a:active img {border:4px solid red}
    */

    div.textbox {
    width:30em;
    background-color: #CCD8CD;
    border: 1px solid #aaaaaa;
    padding: 4px;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
    text-align: left;
    max-width:30em;
    min-width: 20em;
    width:expression(
    document.body.clientWidth > (500/12) *
    parseInt(document.body.currentStyle.fontSize)?
    "30em":
    "auto" );

    table.textbox {
    font-family: Arial;
    background-color: #CCD8CD;
    border: 1px solid #aaaaaa;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    }

    td.textbox {
    border: 1px solid #aaaaaa;
    padding: 4px;
    }

    table.fine {
    font-size: 8pt;
    font-family: Arial;
    background-color: #CCD8CD;
    border: 1px solid: #aaaaaa;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    }
    td.fine {
    border: 1px solid #aaaaaa;
    }

    Paul Furman, Feb 14, 2004

  2. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > My {text-decoration: none} stopped working. Sorry, I don't want to
    > upload the messed up one but the css file is below. Any clues what might
    > cause this? It effects all my links regardless of td, table, div, etc.
    > In IE & Mozilla.

    It's not the CSS. I checked the old one.

    > Here's a... snippet of a page's source:

    more complete beginning below:

    <head>
    charset=iso-8859-1">
    <title>Paul Furman</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="paul.css">
    </head>

    BACKGROUND="http://www.edgehill.net/paul-background.jpg"
    BGPROPERTIES="FIXED"
    TEXT="#444444"

    <center>
    P a u l &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; F u r m a n
    Landscape Architect, lic. no. 4328
    <center>
    <hr width=100%>
    S l o p e &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; D e s i g n
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <B></B> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    N a t i v e &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; P l a n t s
    </center>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

    Paul Furman, Feb 14, 2004

  3. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Paul Furman, Feb 14, 2004
  4. Paul Furman wrote:

    > my {text-decoration: none} stopped working.

    [...]
    > a {text-decoration: none;}
    > a:link {color: #9B4457;}
    > a:visited {color: #6633CC;}
    > a:hover {color: #339966;}
    > a:active {color: red;}

    Have you tried this?

    a:link {color: #9B4457; text-decoration: none;}
    a:visited {color: #6633CC; text-decoration: none;}
    a:hover {color: #339966; text-decoration: none;}
    a:active {color: red; text-decoration: none;}

    OTOH, why remove the underline? People expect underlined links. They'll
    only get confused if they're not underlined.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 14, 2004
  5. Paul Furman

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    Toby A Inkster <> wrote:

    > People expect underlined links. They'll
    > only get confused if they're not underlined.

    You _can_ do it, but it requires extreme caution and certain
    circumstances; like for instance, a very minimal design, in which any
    text that stands out (imagine bold, red text) draws instant attention. A
    good learning school for designers is removing the underline of links
    for yourself through an overriding user style sheet and surf around with
    it for a few days; then you will know when _not_ to remove underlines.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Feb 14, 2004
  6. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Kris wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Toby A Inkster <> wrote:
    >

    >>People expect underlined links. They'll
    >>only get confused if they're not underlined.

    > You _can_ do it, but it requires extreme caution

    OK, understood that I'm being an arrogant ass or daring artist by doing
    so <g>. I figure if everything on my site is consistent, people will
    figure it out pretty quick but I can see how it might slow new visitors
    down.

    Paul Furman, Feb 14, 2004
  7. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:

    > Paul Furman wrote:
    >
    >>my {text-decoration: none} stopped working.

    >> a {text-decoration: none;}
    >> a:link {color: #9B4457;}
    >> a:visited {color: #6633CC;}
    >> a:hover {color: #339966;}
    >> a:active {color: red;}

    > Have you tried this?
    >
    > a:link {color: #9B4457; text-decoration: none;}
    > a:visited {color: #6633CC; text-decoration: none;}
    > a:hover {color: #339966; text-decoration: none;}
    > a:active {color: red; text-decoration: none;)

    I found the problem, my css file started with:
    ....which is not necessary and apparently cancelled the first style on
    the page.

    Thanks for the suggestion though, it made me think about the syntax I
    was cluelessly using from a cut/paste from somewhere. Now I understand
    it's a property inhereted by all <a> elements and I guess the colon is
    an odd case because it refers to an "active state".

    Paul Furman, Feb 14, 2004
  8. Paul Furman <> wrote:

    > <center>

    You should get rid of tables (especially recursive tables) in the
    first place.

    --
    Top-posting.
    What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?

    Andreas Prilop, Feb 14, 2004
  9. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Andreas Prilop wrote:

    > Paul Furman <> wrote:
    >
    > You should get rid of tables

    I'm working on it. Trying to minimize them.

    This test page works pretty well in IE:
    http://www.edgehill.net/html/css/max-min-width2.htm
    (but the min-max widths don't work in mozilla)

    This test page works pretty well in Mozilla:
    http://www.edgehill.net/html/css/max-min-width2.htm
    (but the centered body moves to the left in IE and the shrinking doesn't
    happen till you get past a certain point)

    This option throws the whole page in a table and works pretty well in
    both IE & Mozilla:
    http://www.edgehill.net/html/css/max-min-width.htm

    I'm hesitant to even do that one but it seems to work reasonably well.

    > (especially recursive tables)

    What do you mean by recursive?
    Nested?

    Paul Furman, Feb 14, 2004
  10. Paul Furman <> wrote:

    >> (especially recursive tables)

    > What do you mean by recursive?
    > Nested?

    Yes. Another <table> inside <td>.

    Andreas Prilop, Feb 14, 2004
  11. Paul Furman

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote in

    > OTOH, why remove the underline? People expect underlined links. They'll
    > only get confused if they're not underlined.

    If the only links on a page are in sections that can be easily recognized
    as menus and are styled differently from ordinary text (e.g. a standard
    horizontal top navbar or vertical side navbar), then it can be entirely
    legitimate. But links found in the content area of a page should
    definitely be underlined in almost all cases.

    Eric Bohlman, Feb 14, 2004
  12. Paul Furman

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:08:51 -0800, Paul Furman <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > OK, understood that I'm being an arrogant ass or daring artist by doing
    > so <g>. I figure if everything on my site is consistent, people will
    > figure it out pretty quick but I can see how it might slow new visitors
    > down.

    As Eric said, this particularly applies to links in the body text,
    rather than menus. How do you expect your visitors (old or new) to find
    links in your text without the underline?

    Colour alone isn't enough of a difference, as many people have varying
    degrees of colour-blindness, may be using a monochrome monitor, or a
    laptop (where contrast is significantly less than on a CRT).

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Feb 15, 2004