{text-decoration: none} Broken

Paul Furman

My {text-decoration: none} stopped working. Sorry, I don't want to
upload the messed up one but the css file is below. Any clues what might
cause this? It effects all my links regardless of td, table, div, etc.
In IE & Mozilla.

Here's a beginning snippet of a page's source:

<head>
charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Paul Furman</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="paul.css">
</head>

BACKGROUND="http://www.edgehill.net/paul-background.jpg"
BGPROPERTIES="FIXED"
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a
href="http://localhost/index.php?SCREEN=class-links.php">class-links</a>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

and the complete style sheet:
(a work in progress)

a {text-decoration: none;}
a:link {color: #9B4457;}
a:visited {color: #6633CC;}
a:hover {color: #339966;}
a:active {color: red;}

body {
font-family: Times New Roman;
background-color: #CCD8CD;
}

/*
a:link img {border:4px solid #CCD8CD;}
a:visited img {border:4px solid #CCD8CD;}
a:hover img {border:4px solid red;}
a:active img {border:4px solid red}
*/

div.textbox {
width:30em;
background-color: #CCD8CD;
border: 1px solid #aaaaaa;
padding: 4px;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
text-align: left;
max-width:30em;
min-width: 20em;
width:expression(
document.body.clientWidth > (500/12) *
parseInt(document.body.currentStyle.fontSize)?
"30em":
"auto" );

table.textbox {
font-family: Arial;
background-color: #CCD8CD;
border: 1px solid #aaaaaa;
border-collapse: collapse;
}

td.textbox {
border: 1px solid #aaaaaa;
padding: 4px;
}

table.fine {
font-size: 8pt;
font-family: Arial;
background-color: #CCD8CD;
border: 1px solid: #aaaaaa;
border-collapse: collapse;
}
td.fine {
border: 1px solid #aaaaaa;
}

Paul Furman

Paul said:
My {text-decoration: none} stopped working. Sorry, I don't want to
upload the messed up one but the css file is below. Any clues what might
cause this? It effects all my links regardless of td, table, div, etc.
In IE & Mozilla.

It's not the CSS. I checked the old one.

Here's a... snippet of a page's source:

more complete beginning below:

<head>
charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Paul Furman</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="paul.css">
</head>

BACKGROUND="http://www.edgehill.net/paul-background.jpg"
BGPROPERTIES="FIXED"
TEXT="#444444"

<center>
P a u l &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; F u r m a n
Landscape Architect, lic. no. 4328
<center>
<hr width=100%>
S l o p e &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; D e s i g n
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <B></B> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
N a t i v e &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; P l a n t s
</center>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

Toby A Inkster

Paul said:
my {text-decoration: none} stopped working. [...]
a {text-decoration: none;}
a:link {color: #9B4457;}
a:visited {color: #6633CC;}
a:hover {color: #339966;}
a:active {color: red;}

Have you tried this?

a:link {color: #9B4457; text-decoration: none;}
a:visited {color: #6633CC; text-decoration: none;}
a:hover {color: #339966; text-decoration: none;}
a:active {color: red; text-decoration: none;}

OTOH, why remove the underline? People expect underlined links. They'll
only get confused if they're not underlined.

Kris

Toby A Inkster said:
People expect underlined links. They'll
only get confused if they're not underlined.

You _can_ do it, but it requires extreme caution and certain
circumstances; like for instance, a very minimal design, in which any
text that stands out (imagine bold, red text) draws instant attention. A
good learning school for designers is removing the underline of links
for yourself through an overriding user style sheet and surf around with
it for a few days; then you will know when _not_ to remove underlines.

Paul Furman

Kris said:
You _can_ do it, but it requires extreme caution

OK, understood that I'm being an arrogant ass or daring artist by doing
so <g>. I figure if everything on my site is consistent, people will
figure it out pretty quick but I can see how it might slow new visitors
down.

Paul Furman

Toby said:
Have you tried this?

a:link {color: #9B4457; text-decoration: none;}
a:visited {color: #6633CC; text-decoration: none;}
a:hover {color: #339966; text-decoration: none;}
a:active {color: red; text-decoration: none;)

I found the problem, my css file started with:
....which is not necessary and apparently cancelled the first style on
the page.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it made me think about the syntax I
was cluelessly using from a cut/paste from somewhere. Now I understand
it's a property inhereted by all <a> elements and I guess the colon is
an odd case because it refers to an "active state".

Andreas Prilop

Paul Furman said:
<center>

You should get rid of tables (especially recursive tables) in the
first place.

Paul Furman

Andreas said:
You should get rid of tables

I'm working on it. Trying to minimize them.

This test page works pretty well in IE:
http://www.edgehill.net/html/css/max-min-width2.htm
(but the min-max widths don't work in mozilla)

This test page works pretty well in Mozilla:
http://www.edgehill.net/html/css/max-min-width2.htm
(but the centered body moves to the left in IE and the shrinking doesn't
happen till you get past a certain point)

This option throws the whole page in a table and works pretty well in
both IE & Mozilla:
http://www.edgehill.net/html/css/max-min-width.htm

I'm hesitant to even do that one but it seems to work reasonably well.

(especially recursive tables)

What do you mean by recursive?
Nested?

Eric Bohlman

OTOH, why remove the underline? People expect underlined links. They'll
only get confused if they're not underlined.

If the only links on a page are in sections that can be easily recognized
as menus and are styled differently from ordinary text (e.g. a standard
horizontal top navbar or vertical side navbar), then it can be entirely
legitimate. But links found in the content area of a page should
definitely be underlined in almost all cases.

Mark Parnell

OK, understood that I'm being an arrogant ass or daring artist by doing
so <g>. I figure if everything on my site is consistent, people will
figure it out pretty quick but I can see how it might slow new visitors
down.

As Eric said, this particularly applies to links in the body text,
rather than menus. How do you expect your visitors (old or new) to find
links in your text without the underline?

Colour alone isn't enough of a difference, as many people have varying
degrees of colour-blindness, may be using a monochrome monitor, or a
laptop (where contrast is significantly less than on a CRT).