Text file INCLUDE with no line breaks

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by dmiller23462, Jun 15, 2004.

  1. dmiller23462

    dmiller23462 Guest

    Hi again guys....

    This is my first source of help, by far the best ASP intellectual
    collective....Thanks in advance for any assistance...Anyway....

    The forms I'm still working on (finishing touches) have one issue that
    I've found in my testing....

    I have online submission forms that email to a party and then also
    append to a plain-text file. I have a link to an "archive" which is
    just an ASP page with the top border and bottom border and then the
    text file referenced as an "INCLUDE". The page displays beautifully,
    showing the text file exactly like I want but the only issue is field
    containing the text area for additional information has the
    possibility to be several hundred characters. If I have no way to
    break up the text it's VERY ugly to look at. Is there a way that I can
    format the text that is being appended from the HTML fields to insert
    a <BR> automatically after so many characters on one line? (Please
    take note of the "explanation" field to get an idea of my potential
    problem....

    Code for the area of my ASP form that writes to the text file is as
    follows;

    *****START OF CODE SNIPPET*****

    textfile.writeline "Name :" & Request.form("from")
    textfile.writeline "<BR>"
    textfile.writeline "Ext :" & Request.form("ext")
    textfile.writeline "<BR>"
    textfile.writeline "Consumer Name :" & Request.form("conname")
    textfile.writeline "<BR>"
    textfile.writeline "Company Name :" & Request.form("compname")
    textfile.writeline "<BR>"
    textfile.writeline "Address :" & Request.form("address")
    textfile.writeline "<BR>"
    textfile.writeline "City / State/ Zip :" &
    Request.form("citystatezip")
    textfile.writeline "<BR>"
    textfile.writeline "Phone Number :" & Request.form("phonenumber")
    textfile.writeline "<BR>"
    textfile.writeline "Consumer / Repair Order Number :" &
    Request.form("conrepnumber")
    textfile.writeline "<BR>"
    textfile.writeline "Subject :" & Request.form("subject")
    textfile.writeline "<BR>"
    textfile.writeline "Explanation :" & Request.form("explanation")
    textfile.writeline "<BR>"
    textfile.writeline "Date/Time Received :" & FormatDateTime(Now)
    textfile.writeline "<BR>"
    textfile.writeline "*****"
    textfile.writeline "<BR>"

    *****END OF CODE SNIPPET****

    Now THIS is what the ASP page displays with the preceding code...All
    information was test info I populated the HTML fields with to test the
    page...

    ****START OF ASP PAGE OUTPUT****

    Name :Joseph Josephs
    Ext :1234
    Consumer Name :Test Consumer
    Company Name :Test and Co.
    Address :1234 Testing Lane
    City / State/ Zip :Jax, FL 32218
    Phone Number :123-456-7890
    Consumer / Repair Order Number :None
    Subject :Back Order
    Explanation :Test of writing to text file and inserting line breaks
    for readability.
    Date/Time Received :6/14/2004 3:42:34 PM
    *****

    ****END OF ASP PAGE****
    dmiller23462, Jun 15, 2004

  2. HTML issue... put it into a table or a div with a fixed width...

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 15, 2004