    Anders

    =====================================

    m a i l : anders d o t floderus a t comhem d o t se

    ANDERS FLODERUS, May 11, 2005

  2. ANDERS FLODERUS

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *ANDERS FLODERUS* wrote:
    > I have a site with a lot of text. How do I maximize
    > the width? If the text fills out the window to the
    > right border, it gets so wide it is difficult to read.
    >
    > I have made a table with fixed width and it works
    > fine with wide windows. The problem is that when
    > I make the window more narrow, I have to scroll
    > horizontaly to read the text, I would like the table
    > to get more narrow and the text to rewrap.
    >
    > Does anybody have any good idea about what to do?

    Set the table as perscent (%) ov the window. And even better, use CSS
    and div's for the content.

    See my examples at http://hem.bredband.net/arnel/ with a full window
    width. And http://hem.bredband.net/keskitalo/ with content centered on
    the window.

    --
    /Arne

    are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
    quote signatures, thank you.

    Arne, May 11, 2005

  3. ANDERS FLODERUS

    Toby Inkster Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 15:42:22 +0100, ANDERS FLODERUS <>
    wrote:

    > I have a site with a lot of text. How do I maximize
    > the width? If the text fills out the window to the
    > right border, it gets so wide it is difficult to read.

    BODY {
    max-width: 40em;
    }

    Not supported by IE, but you can use the scripty stuff here
    <http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/> to force IE to understand it.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, May 11, 2005
  4. ANDERS FLODERUS

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, ANDERS FLODERUS <> said:

    > I have a site with a lot of text. How do I maximize
    > the width? If the text fills out the window to the
    > right border, it gets so wide it is difficult to read.

    That depends on the font size in your browser. If it's too wide for you,
    then reduce the width of your browser window. You have no way of knowing
    whether its too wide for me, or anyone else.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, May 11, 2005
  5. ANDERS FLODERUS

    dorayme Guest

    > See my examples at http://hem.bredband.net/arnel/ with a full window
    > width. And http://hem.bredband.net/keskitalo/ with content centered on
    > the window.
    >
    > --
    > /Arne

    Very nice too. Just possible you might want to know that the former link
    breaks up in IE 5.1.6 on a Mac... (right col comes over to overlay middle
    stuff... even when window is full 1024x768, and gets worse as width is
    reduced...)

    dorayme

    dorayme, May 12, 2005
  6. ANDERS FLODERUS

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *dorayme* wrote:

    >> See my examples at http://hem.bredband.net/arnel/ with a full window
    >> width. And http://hem.bredband.net/keskitalo/ with content centered on
    >> the window.
    >>
    >> --
    >> /Arne
    >>

    > Very nice too. Just possible you might want to know that the former link
    > breaks up in IE 5.1.6 on a Mac... (right col comes over to overlay middle
    > stuff... even when window is full 1024x768, and gets worse as width is
    > reduced...)

    Thank's for the heads up! I don't have any Mac to test the site with
    so I had no idea what it looks like. And I don't really know what to
    do to make it better in Mac.

    But if you can provide a screenshot I could try to find a solution.
    Also woulds like to know what it looks like in Opera.

    Arne, May 12, 2005
  7. ANDERS FLODERUS

    me Guest

    "ANDERS FLODERUS" <> schreef in bericht
    >I have a site with a lot of text. How do I maximize
    > the width? If the text fills out the window to the
    > right border, it gets so wide it is difficult to read.
    >
    > I have made a table with fixed width and it works
    > fine with wide windows. The problem is that when
    > I make the window more narrow, I have to scroll
    > horizontaly to read the text, I would like the table
    > to get more narrow and the text to rewrap.
    >
    > Does anybody have any good idea about what to do?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Anders

    Maybe something like this in css file is useable:

    body.xxx {margin-left: 3.0cm; margin-right: 3.0cm}

    Hans

    me, May 12, 2005
  8. ANDERS FLODERUS

    kchayka Guest

    Arne wrote:

    > Also woulds like to know what it looks like in Opera.

    Why don't you just download Opera and see for yourself?
    <URL:http://opera.com/>

    It's free. You only pay to get rid of the ads. I've been using their
    free version since they first offered it (version 5) and have *never*
    had any trouble with spyware in their ads. So, there is no reason *not*
    to download it.

    kchayka, May 12, 2005
  9. ANDERS FLODERUS

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed kchayka <> writing
    in news::

    > Arne wrote:
    >>
    >> Also woulds like to know what it looks like in Opera.

    > Why don't you just download Opera and see for yourself?
    ><URL:http://opera.com/>
    >
    > It's free. You only pay to get rid of the ads. I've been using their
    > free version since they first offered it (version 5) and have *never*
    > had any trouble with spyware in their ads. So, there is no reason *not*
    > to download it.

    I paid for Opera in version 5 because I liked it so much. Sometimes,
    it's fun to go to someone else's computer who hasn't paid for it yet,
    just to see the ads (like the Comics ads).

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, May 12, 2005
  10. While the city slept, Adrienne () feverishly
    typed...
    > I paid for Opera in version 5 because I liked it so much. Sometimes,
    > it's fun to go to someone else's computer who hasn't paid for it yet,
    > just to see the ads (like the Comics ads).

    Adrienne... Adrienne... Adrienne.... you really do need to get out more! ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address will bounce. | Take the DOG. out!

    nice.guy.nige, May 12, 2005
  11. ANDERS FLODERUS

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "nice.guy.nige"
    <> writing in

    > While the city slept, Adrienne () feverishly
    > typed...
    >> I paid for Opera in version 5 because I liked it so much. Sometimes,
    >> it's fun to go to someone else's computer who hasn't paid for it yet,
    >> just to see the ads (like the Comics ads).

    > Adrienne... Adrienne... Adrienne.... you really do need to get out
    > more! ;-)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nige

    Oh, I do, I do. I go visit clients where I have told them they have to get
    rid of that nasty browser. I bring my toddler (he's always a hoot), and
    then, we go to the park or something. You're right - I have to get a life
    - with adults.

    Adrienne, May 12, 2005
  12. ANDERS FLODERUS

    Els Guest

    Adrienne wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "nice.guy.nige"
    > <> writing in
    >> While the city slept, Adrienne () feverishly
    >> typed...

    >>> Sometimes, it's fun to go to someone else's computer who hasn't
    >>> paid for it yet, just to see the ads (like the Comics ads).

    >> Adrienne... Adrienne... Adrienne.... you really do need to get out
    >> more! ;-)

    > I bring my toddler (he's always a hoot), and then, we go to the park
    > or something. You're right - I have to get a life - with adults.

    Nah, just wait till the toddler grows up ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, May 12, 2005
  13. ANDERS FLODERUS

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Arne <>
    >
    > Once upon a time *dorayme* wrote:
    >
    >>> See my examples at http://hem.bredband.net/arnel/ with a full window
    >>> width. And http://hem.bredband.net/keskitalo/ with content centered on
    >>> the window.

    > I don't have any Mac to test the site with
    > so I had no idea what it looks like. And I don't really know what to
    > do to make it better in Mac.
    >
    > But if you can provide a screenshot I could try to find a solution.
    > Also woulds like to know what it looks like in Opera.

    http://dorayme.150m.com/pics/arnelWebShot.jpg

    cheers

    dorayme

    dorayme, May 13, 2005
  14. ANDERS FLODERUS

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *dorayme* wrote:
    >> From: Arne <>

    >> I don't have any Mac to test the site with
    >> so I had no idea what it looks like. And I don't really know what to
    >> do to make it better in Mac.
    >>
    >> But if you can provide a screenshot I could try to find a solution.
    >> Also woulds like to know what it looks like in Opera.

    > http://dorayme.150m.com/pics/arnelWebShot.jpg

    Oh, dear! Is that really a 1024x768 screenshot from IE 5.1.6 on a Mac?
    That browser don't understand much CSS :)

    My logo on the top left don't show, but that's because it's a *.png
    image I guess. The small text on the blue background is within a small
    120px width box (id="Toptext") so the text should wrap in three lines.
    But since the browser can't even do that, I don't wonder it can't set
    a width for the "middle stuff" correctly. :)

    I have added a width (100%) to my CSS for html and body, and added a
    line break <br /> to the "Toptext" text. I don't know if it change
    anything, but what else can I do without breaking the whole site in
    other browsers.

    Fortunately I don't see other visitors with Mac and IE, in my stats.
    Maybee you should consider to use an other browser :) <g>

    Arne, May 13, 2005
  15. ANDERS FLODERUS

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Arne <>

    >> http://dorayme.150m.com/pics/arnelWebShot.jpg
    >>

    > Oh, dear! Is that really a 1024x768 screenshot from IE 5.1.6 on a Mac?
    > That browser don't understand much CSS :)

    Well, it does a surprisingly good job for most of the web sites I see. There
    are far far worse of even more modern ilk). But it is not as good as
    Mozilla...

    > My logo on the top left don't show, but that's because it's a *.png
    > image I guess.

    Well, not really, no. Your png saved to disk and dropped onto my IE shows up
    fine... Plus the other pngs - as you can see from the screen shots - do
    show. It is your code somehow combined with IE...

    Your html and css is too complex for me to understand easily. But maybe that
    is just me. I am no expert. You have H1 and classes and images within H1 and
    75% width for the HI which is within a div called heading which has a png
    that does show up...

    You know, sometimes I like IE (tho I mainly use Mozilla which has excellent
    CSS support) *because* it alerts me to the sort of code that I find hard to
    fathom and troubleshoot and would rather do without. But each to his own.

    > Fortunately I don't see other visitors with Mac and IE, in my stats.
    > Maybee you should consider to use an other browser :) <g>

    Well, that is not at all *fortunate*. People on Macs and IE are some of the
    finest human beings that ever walked the earth... Why, hell, I could tell
    you stories that would bring tears to your eyes... But seriously: it is a
    greater thing to provide for everyone and for things to be graceful in their
    impoverishments...

    And Arne, careful there about what I should consider. I have considered and
    do use other browsers as explained... :)

    dorayme

    dorayme, May 14, 2005
  16. ANDERS FLODERUS

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *dorayme* wrote:

    >> From: Arne <>

    >>> http://dorayme.150m.com/pics/arnelWebShot.jpg
    >>>

    >> Oh, dear! Is that really a 1024x768 screenshot from IE 5.1.6 on a Mac?
    >> That browser don't understand much CSS :)

    > Well, it does a surprisingly good job for most of the web sites I see. There
    > are far far worse of even more modern ilk). But it is not as good as
    > Mozilla...
    >

    >> My logo on the top left don't show, but that's because it's a *.png
    >> image I guess.

    > Well, not really, no. Your png saved to disk and dropped onto my IE shows up
    > fine... Plus the other pngs - as you can see from the screen shots - do
    > show. It is your code somehow combined with IE...

    Correct, my error in that comment. It's something with the logo only
    and the error can't be other than in the coding. I have not set any
    z-index, so the logo is probably hiding under the "corner.png" since
    that's not a background image, even if it shows in Windows IE and Mozilla?

    > Your html and css is too complex for me to understand easily. But maybe that
    > is just me. I am no expert. You have H1 and classes and images within H1 and
    > 75% width for the HI which is within a div called heading which has a png
    > that does show up...

    Yeah, the code has become complex. I use the site mainly for testing
    and experiment purposes, so I have adding "this and that" to the code
    over the time, without deleting much at the same time. So I guess it's
    time for cleaning up now :)

    Arne, May 14, 2005
  17. ANDERS FLODERUS

    kchayka Guest

    Arne wrote:
    > Once upon a time *dorayme* wrote:
    >>> From: Arne <>

    >> http://dorayme.150m.com/pics/arnelWebShot.jpg

    > Oh, dear! Is that really a 1024x768 screenshot from IE 5.1.6 on a Mac?

    The trouble is most likely caused by your positioning. Relative
    positioning is quirky in more than just MacIE, as is absolute
    positioning without setting an explicit width. Positioning at right or
    bottom is especially buggy.

    For best (predictable) results, set explicit widths. Better yet, don't
    absolutely position everything. You probably don't really need all of
    it, anyway.

    kchayka, May 14, 2005