Text Select behaviour and mouseDown event

gusCubed

Hi all,
I'm developing an AjaxPro.net application and am building a library of
server side objects that emit client-side script with the aim of being
able to create interdependant controls that work seemlessly together in
different combinations. Anyway, as part of this I need to be able to
add several functions to the document.onmousedown event, among others.

I have adopted the quirksmode addEvent function:
(http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2005/10/_and_the_winner_1.html)
to allow several event handling functions to be registered for
document.onmousedown. However, since I am no longer overriding the
browser's default onmousemove behaviour and just adding new functions
to it I now have a problem with my drag and drop library. When I drag
an object across the screen now, text and objects within the page
become 'selected' ie they get the grey background that happens when you
click and drag through static text in the browser.

Does anyone know how I can either change the css style for 'selected'
objects (if there is one) or override the browsers built-in
select-object behaviour, while still allowing me to add new event
handling functions to document level events dynamically?