textarea in XHTML 1.0 Transitiona

Rob

I've just been converting my ASP v2.0 web site to use master pages which by
default uses this doctype:

whereas before it used to use:

This appears to have effected the multi-line textarea tag in that it doesn't
completely obey the height attribute. It appears to adjust the height to the
nearest line height.

Is there anyway to get around this?

I'm asking in here as you all probably know a lot more about the XHTML model
than most :)

Cheers, Rob.