Textbox only screws up on IBM ThinkPads!

bobc

We host our own site as follows:

Windows 2003 Server
IIS 6
..NET 2.0
MSSQL 2005

One of my pages (aspx) has several multi-line textboxes on it. They
are all identical except for id and location on the page. Here is one
of the tags:

<asp:TextBox CssClass="NormalBlack" ID="tbComments" runat="server"
TextMode="MultiLine" Width="460" Height="100"/>

The page and all its controls work perfectly on the IBM desktops in
our office, as well as on my two Dell Latitudes(Win2000/IE6) and my
Dell Prescision workstation....all but the Latitudes run XP Pro and
IE6.

BUT, on ALL of our XP Pro - IE6 ThinkPads:

Contents retrieved into the multi-line textboxes APPEAR to have
carriage returns or line breaks inserted in the text at places, and in
some cases snippets of the contents are repeated within the contents
(not at the beginning or end of what SHOULD be there.) The snippets
are of varying lengths.

Deleting the text and entering manually from scratch fixes the
contents displayed, until the page is posted by a save or autopostpack
of another control.

When first entering the text, it looks right. Hit the Save
button...the clean, correct data is stored in the record. BUT, the
displayed text scrambles as described above. Hit Save again while the
text is scrambled, and the data is saved again... UNscrambled!

I believe the code that populates the textboxes works fine because the
problem only affects the ThinkPads.

I suspect it's possibly a viewstate issue, but why would it save the
scrambled text as unscrambled!

The ThinkPad's browsers are set to check for page updates
"Automatically".

And finally, here's my @page directive:

<%@ Page Language="VB" Debug="false" SmartNavigation="true"
ContentType="text/html" ResponseEncoding="iso-8859-1" %>

....and my html header:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Edit Monthly Traffic Comments</title>
<link href="../bmglive.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
</head>

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bob