The data is invalid - windows media player error

adiel_g

I cannot seem to get a wmv file to stream from asp.net. I have tried
the following code.
I need to be able to use either response.outpustream or
response.binarywrite since
I will be getting the file from an sql server image field. Other types
of files such as gif or pdf work fine. Here is the code for the wmv:

Dim sql As String

sql = "select * from TblBlobs where blob_id = " & iBlobId

Dim da As New SqlDataAdapter(sql, cn)
Dim MyCB As SqlCommandBuilder = New SqlCommandBuilder(da)
Dim ds As New DataSet

cn.Open()
da.Fill(ds, "Default")
Dim myRow As DataRow
myRow = ds.Tables("Default").Rows(0)

Dim MyData() As Byte
MyData = myRow("filedata")

Response.ClearContent()
Response.ClearHeaders()
Response.Buffer = False

Response.ContentType = "video/x-ms-wmv"

Response.OutputStream.Write(MyData, 0, MyData.Length)
Response.Flush()
Response.Close()

MyCB = Nothing
ds = Nothing
da = Nothing

cn.Close()
cn = Nothing

When the user clicks on a button to run this code, the error "The data
is invalid" is displayed from windows media player. I cannot figure
out what is specific about wmv's that they will not stream.

Thanks Before Hand,
Adiel

adiel_g

No, if I click on the link and choose "Save target as", the error is:

Internet Explorer cannot down from ... _ctl18$lnkLoadImageItem','').

I can understand the above error because the system has to call the
function before it can actually download the file. Basically the
function above is being called from a LinkButton. I have also tried
calling the function from a regular button and same results: I can load
gifs, pdfs, jpgs, etc but windows video files (wmv) receive the error
"The data is invalid" when the system starts Windows Media Player.

adiel_g

Update:

The error when testing on system with Windows Media Player Version
7.10.00.3077 is "The data is invalid"

The error when testing on system with Windows Media Player Version
10.00.00.3700 is "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The
Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec
that was used to compress the file." and if you click on "More
Information", the error is "C00D1199: Cannot play the file" Error ID =
0xC00D1199, Condition ID = 0x00000000.

Thanks,
Adiel