The Ellipsis (.) Character Is Not Showing Up When Read From A Text File

Nathan Sokalski

I have a page which reads the the first line of every *.txt file in a
certain directory of mine to use as the Text property of a HyperLink
Control. However, in one of my recently added text files in the directory it
is using all but the ellipsis character (this is the last character in the
line, but it does the same thing when I place the character in other
places). For example, here is what the line looks like in the *.txt file and
the generated HTML code:

*.txt File:
Whate.ver you say.

HTML Code:
Whatever you say

When I create the text files, which I do in Windows Notepad on Windows XP
Pro SP2, I enter the character using the ALT+0133 key combination. Even if
ASP.NET did not recognize this character, I would at least expect it to put
some character in it's place, even if it was not the one I wanted. When
reading the *.txt file I use the System.IO.StreamReader.ReadLine() method. I
am assuming the fix has something to do with the character sets I am using
when creating and/or reading the *.txt files, but I was unable to find the
character set that Notepad saves the file as. Can somebody help me here?
Thanks.

Mattias Sjögren

but I was unable to find the
character set that Notepad saves the file as. Can somebody help me here?

The Encoding field in Notepad's File -> Save As... dialog.

Mattias

Hans Kesting

I have a page which reads the the first line of every *.txt file in a certain
directory of mine to use as the Text property of a HyperLink Control.
However, in one of my recently added text files in the directory it is using
all but the ellipsis character (this is the last character in the line, but
it does the same thing when I place the character in other places). For
example, here is what the line looks like in the *.txt file and the generated
HTML code:

*.txt File:
Whate.ver you say.

HTML Code:
Whatever you say

Do you mean the HTML as displayed in the browser or what you see when
you do a "view source" there? (the browser might also hide some
characters from you)

When you use the debugger, what do you see after reading the file?

Hans Kesting