The Ellipsis (.) Character Is Not Showing Up When Read From A Text File

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nathan Sokalski, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. I have a page which reads the the first line of every *.txt file in a
    certain directory of mine to use as the Text property of a HyperLink
    Control. However, in one of my recently added text files in the directory it
    is using all but the ellipsis character (this is the last character in the
    line, but it does the same thing when I place the character in other
    places). For example, here is what the line looks like in the *.txt file and
    the generated HTML code:

    *.txt File:
    Whate.ver you say.

    HTML Code:
    Whatever you say

    When I create the text files, which I do in Windows Notepad on Windows XP
    Pro SP2, I enter the character using the ALT+0133 key combination. Even if
    ASP.NET did not recognize this character, I would at least expect it to put
    some character in it's place, even if it was not the one I wanted. When
    reading the *.txt file I use the System.IO.StreamReader.ReadLine() method. I
    am assuming the fix has something to do with the character sets I am using
    when creating and/or reading the *.txt files, but I was unable to find the
    character set that Notepad saves the file as. Can somebody help me here?
    Thanks.
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Feb 14, 2006

  2. >but I was unable to find the
    >character set that Notepad saves the file as. Can somebody help me here?

    The Encoding field in Notepad's File -> Save As... dialog.

    Mattias

    --
    Mattias Sjögren [C# MVP] mattias @ mvps.org
    http://www.msjogren.net/dotnet/ | http://www.dotnetinterop.com

    Mattias Sjögren, Feb 14, 2006

  3. Nathan Sokalski

    Hans Kesting Guest

    Re: =?UTF-8?B?VGhlIEVsbGlwc2lzICguKSBDaGFyYWN0ZXIgSXMgTm90IFNob3dp?==?UTF-8?B?bmcgVXAgV2hlbiBSZWFkIEZyb20gQSBUZXh0IEZpbGU=?=

    > I have a page which reads the the first line of every *.txt file in a certain
    > directory of mine to use as the Text property of a HyperLink Control.
    > However, in one of my recently added text files in the directory it is using
    > all but the ellipsis character (this is the last character in the line, but
    > it does the same thing when I place the character in other places). For
    > example, here is what the line looks like in the *.txt file and the generated
    > HTML code:
    >
    > *.txt File:
    > Whate.ver you say.
    >
    > HTML Code:
    > Whatever you say

    Do you mean the HTML as displayed in the browser or what you see when
    you do a "view source" there? (the browser might also hide some
    characters from you)

    When you use the debugger, what do you see after reading the file?

    Hans Kesting

    Hans Kesting, Feb 14, 2006