The Python multiple IDE Collaboration calls for coders

Discussion in 'Python' started by SPE - Stani's Python Editor, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. Dear Pythoneers,

    Looking at IDE's I can have three observations:

    1. For some reasons numerous users prefer to use an open source IDE.

    2. For some reasons numerous python programmers like to develop an open
    source IDE.

    3. For some reasons the open source python IDE developers are not
    collaborating at all.

    The reasons for 1 or 2 are obvious, at least to me. Recently I have
    been wondering about the reason for 3. (Probably a lot of python
    programmers have wondered about this already for ages, but ok I might
    be slow ;-) I came to the conclusion that there was *NO* reason.

    As this was so clear, I started to invite all the authors of IDE's
    personally to collaborate all together. I hope that I didn't forget
    any, because there are so many. What is really nice, is that we feel
    the same: we should work together and share as much as possible. We
    don't want to waste our (often spare) time on reinventing wheels.
    Almost all IDE's (except of two) are participating no matter if they
    use Tkinter, wxPython, pyQT, Cocoa, pyGTK, ... (So this could open
    doors for an ajax python editor, who knows. Any python web framework
    like Django, Turbogears, ... interested in that?)

    These projects are participating: NewEdit, scrIDE, Eric3, Leo IDE,
    ActiveGrid, PIDA, drPython, pyDev, PyCrust, IPython, WinPdb debugger,
    Extended Python Debugger, PyLint, Gaphor, Envisage, Dabo, SilverCity &
    SPE.

    It is not about unification, but about a little bit more collaboration.
    There are always libraries to share, more as we might think.

    In order to give the project shape I started building a (wiki based)
    website in plone which together with a mailing list should give a good
    platform for collaboration. (You need to login to edit wiki's.) All
    the developers are already invited, but everyone willing to code or
    contribute (documentation, translation, artwork, plone website, ..) is
    welcome. If you work on open source project which might be of interest
    (parsing, uml, framework, ...) please join or invite the projects which
    you think should participate as well.

    We will probably work in smaller teams on the various aspects of IDE's
    and tools. If this project succeeds it could be a major win for the
    Python community.

    These are some useful links:

    - homepage: http://pyxides.stani.be
    - mail list: http://pyxides.stani.be/polls/mailing
    - starting mail: http://pyxides.stani.be/wiki/StartingEmail
    - developers reaction: http://pyxides.stani.be/wiki/AuthorsOfIDEsTools
    - poll:
    http://pyxides.stani.be/polls/20060310-firstfocus/PlonePopoll_results2

    Stani

    PS IDLE is the only one which didn't answer my invitation yet, but we'd
    love them to be in the team as well. (Kurt?)

    --
    http://pythonide.stani.be
    SPE - Stani's Python Editor, Mar 11, 2006