The return of JINX

Chris Smith

Hope everyone doesn't mind the cross-post for this one.

I'd like to bring JINX (*) back to life. I've come to terms with the
fact that swiki.net is dead and we've lost all the original content.
There is a wiki site at http://riters.com/JINX that has the original
start page.

My idea for fleshing that out is to do Google searches for frequent
contributors to this group, and organizing and migrating that content
over to JINX. If you are a frequent contributor, please email me and
let me know whether I may copy your content onto the Wiki. (I intend to
stick with frequent contributors... i.e., people whose name I will
recognize... for this effort. If you're not a frequent contributor but
would like to see your contributions on JINX, keep in mind that it's a
wiki, so it will contain whatever you feel like adding to it.)

(*) For those new to the group or with a short memory, JINX was a wiki
site of some of the collected wisdom of the various Java newsgroups. It
was unfortunately placed on a very unreliable server, which has since
died.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Rhino

Chris Smith said:
[...]

Have you made any attempt to find additonal old pages from the original Wiki
via the Wayback Machine? In case you've never heard of it, it claims to have
an archive of 40 billion pages dating back to 1996. I've used it in the past
to see older versions of web sites; perhaps it has some of the original JINX
pages that were lost.

The Wayback Machine is situated at http://www.archive.org/web/web.php. I
have no idea what the original URL for JINX was so I'll leave you to do the
search. With a bit of luck, maybe a fair percentage of the original pages
can be salvaged, which will reduce the amount of information you have to
re-create.

There may be additional services like the Wayback Machine as well; I really
don't know.

---

As for the basic premise of JINX, it sounds like a great idea to collect the
wisdom of all the Java gurus. I've been around for a while but have never
seen JINX. However, from the pages I see at http://riters.com/JINX/ it looks
like it has the potential to be a very useful resource.

I dn't know that I'd have a whole lot to contribute but I'd certainly expect
to benefit from some of the content.

Rhino

Daniel Dyer

As for the basic premise of JINX, it sounds like a great idea to collect
the
wisdom of all the Java gurus. I've been around for a while but have never
seen JINX. However, from the pages I see at http://riters.com/JINX/ it
looks
like it has the potential to be a very useful resource.

Agreed, looks like a good idea, good luck with it, Chris. I think it will
take-off once there is some proper content. I took a look this morning,
there's not much on there yet but if some of the regulars on here are
prepared to contribute it should quickly become something useful. I
started to play around add a few headings (hope you don't mind).

Dan.

George Cherry

Rhino said:
[...]

Thanks! I just spent an hour reminiscing in some
of my old web page from wayback that I thought
were long gone.

George