the second of nested buttons using textvariable remains void!

Samkos

Hi there,

I am fighting with a problem I intended to believe trivial that
I could not solve yet!

I am trying to have a button with a variable text, that
pops up another button with a variable text when pressed.

I did that with the following program in Python, but the
second button remains always void!!! is it related to
the textvariable parameters?

If any of you had a clue, please don't hesitate!

in advance, many thanks

Samuel

#----------------------- program 2 buttons.py
--------------------------

from Tkinter import *

def go(event):
root = Tk()

s1=StringVar()
s1.set("s1")
label1 = Label(root, textvariable=s1)
label1.pack(side=LEFT)

root.mainloop()

root = Tk()

s0=StringVar()
s0.set("s0")
label0 = Label(root, textvariable=s0)
label0.pack(side=LEFT)

root.bind("<Return>",go)

root.mainloop()

James Stroud

Samkos said:
[...]

You have instantiated Tk twice which causes these kind of problems. If
you want a window in go(), use Toplevel instead of Tk (and "mainloop" is
not needed in go()). I.e.:

def go(event):
not_root = Toplevel()

s1=StringVar()
s1.set("s1")
label1 = Label(not_root, textvariable=s1)
label1.pack(side=LEFT)

James

jim-on-linux

[...]

try this;

def go():
root = Tk()
root.config(bg= 'yellow')
s1=StringVar()
blabel1 = Button(root, textvariable=s1,
width = 10, height = 2,
command = next)
blabel1.pack()
root.bind("<Return>", vbind)
s1.set('click_s1')

def vbind(event):
next()

def next():
second = Toplevel()
s0=StringVar()
s0.set("click_s0")
blabel0 = Button(second, textvariable=s0,
command = second.destroy,
width = 10, height = 2)
blabel0.pack()

if __name__ == '__main__' :