The True Religion

Discussion in 'Python' started by xoxoxo xoxoxo, Dec 1, 2009.

  1. By Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips

    THE RELIGION OF ISLAM

    The first thing that one should know and clearly understand about
    Islam is what the word "Islam" itself means. The religion of Islam is
    not named after a person as in the case of Christianity which was
    named after Jesus Christ, Buddhism after Gotama Buddha, Confucianism
    after Confucius, and Marxism after Karl Marx. Nor was it named after
    tribe like Judaism after the tribe of Judah and Hinduism after the
    Hindus. Islam is the true religion of "Allah" and as such, its name
    represents the central principle of Allah's "God's" religion; the
    total submission to the will of Allah "God". The Arabic word "Islam"
    means the submission or surrender of one's will to the only true god
    worthy of worship "Allah" and anyone who does so is termed a
    "Muslim",
    The word also implies "peace" which is the natural consequence of
    total submission to the will of Allah. Hence, it was not a new
    religion brought by Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) I in Arabia in the
    seventh
    century, but only the true religion of Allah re-expressed in its
    final
    form.

    Islam is the religion which was given to Adam, the first man and the
    first prophet of Allah, and it was the religion of all the prophets
    sent by Allah to mankind. The name of God's religion lslam was not
    decided upon by later generations of man. It was chosen by Allah
    Himself and clearly mentioned in His final revelation to man. In the
    final book of divine revelation, the Qur'aan, Allah states the
    following:

    "This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour
    upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion". (Soorah
    Al-
    Maa'idah 5:3)
    "If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah
    (God) never will It be accepted of Him" (Soorah Aal'imraan 3:85)
    "Abraham was not a Jew nor Christian; but an upright Muslim." (Soorah
    Aal'imraan 3:67)
    Nowhere in the Bible will you find Allah saying to Prophet Moses'
    people or their descendants that their religion is Judaism, nor to
    the
    followers of Christ that their religion is Christianity. In fact,
    Christ was not even his name, nor was it Jesus! The name "Christ"
    comes from the Greek word Christos which means the annointed. That
    is,
    Christ is a Greek translation of the Hebrew title "Messiah". The name
    "Jesus" on the other hand, is a latinized version of the Hebrew name
    Esau.
    For simplicity's sake, I will however continue to refer to Prophet
    Esau (PBUH) as Jesus. As for his religion, it was what he called his
    followers to. Like the prophets before him, he called the people to
    surrender their will to the will of Allah; (which is Islam) and he
    warned them to stay away from the false gods of human imagination.
    According to the New Testament, he taught his followers to pray as
    follows: "Yours will be done on earth as it is in Heaven".

    THE MESSAGE OF ISLAM

    Since the total submission of one's will to Allah represents the
    essence of worship, the basic message of Allah's divine religion,
    Islam is the worship of Allah alone and the avoidance of worship
    directed to any person, place or thing other than Allah.Since
    everything other than Allah, the Creator of all things, is Allah's
    creation; it may be said that Islam, in essence calls man away from
    the worship of creation and invites him to worship only its Creator.
    He is the only one deserving man's worship as it is only by His will
    that prayers are answered. If man prays to a tree and his prayers are
    answered, it was not the tree which answered his prayers but Allah
    who
    allowed the circumstances prayed for to take place. One might say,
    "That is obvious," however, to tree-worshippers it might not be.
    Similarly, prayers to Jesus, Buddha, or Krishna, to Saint
    Christopher,
    or Saint Jude or even to Muhammad, are not answered by them but are
    answered by Allah. Jesus did nottell his followers to worship him but
    to worship Allah. As the Qur'aan states:

    "And behold Allah will say: "O Jesus the son of Mary Did you say to
    men, Worship me and my mother as gods besides Allah He will
    say-"Glory
    to you I could never say what I had no right (to say')" (Soorah Al-
    Maa'idah- 5:116)
    Nor did he worship himself when he worshipped but rather he
    worshipped
    Allah. This basic principle is enshrined in the opening chapter of
    the
    Qur'aan, known as Soorah Al-Faatihah, verse 4:

    "You alone do we worship and from you alone do we seek help".
    Elsewhere, in the final book of revelation, the Qur'aan, Allah also
    said:

    "And your Lord says:"Call on Me and I will answer your
    (prayer)."(Soorsh Mu'min 40:60)
    it is worth noting that the basic message of Islam is that Allah and
    His creation are distinctly different entities. Neither is Allah His
    creation or a part of it, nor is His creation Him or a part of Him.
    This might seem obvious, but, man's worship of creation instead of
    the
    Creator is to a large degree based on ignorance of this concept. It
    is
    the belief that the essence of Allah is everywhere in His creation or
    that His divine being is or was present in some aspects of His
    creation, which has provided justification for the worship of
    creation
    though such worship maybecalled the worship of Allah through his
    creation. How ever, the message of Islam as brought by the prophets
    of
    Allah is to worship only Allah and to avoid the worship of his
    creation either directly or indirectly. In the Our'aan Allah
    clearlystates:

    "For We assuredly sent amongst every people a prophet,(with the
    command) worship meand avoid false gods " (Soorsh Al-Nahl 16:36)
    When the idol worshipper is questioned as to why he or she bows down
    to idols created by men, the invariable reply is that they are not
    actually worshipping the stone image, but Allah who is present within
    it. They claim that the stone idol is only a focal point for Allah's
    essence and is not in itself Allah! One who has accepted the concept
    of the presence of God's being within His creation in any way will be
    obliged to accept this argument of idolatry. Whereas, one who
    understands the basic message of Islam and its implications would
    never concede to idolatry no matter how it is rationalized. Those who
    have claimed divinity for themselves down through the ages have often
    based their claims on the mistaken belief that Allah is present in
    man. They merely had to assert that although Allah according to their
    false beliefs, is in all of us, He is more present in them than in
    the
    rest of us. Hence, they claim, we should submit our will to them and
    worship them as they are either God in person or God concentrated
    within the person.
    Similarly, those who have asserted the godhood of others after their
    passing have found fertile ground among those who accept the false
    belief of God's presence in man. One who has grasped the basic
    message
    of Islam and its implications could never agree to worship another
    human being under any circumstances. God's religion in essence is a
    clear call to the worship of the Creator and the rejection of
    creation-
    worship in any form. This is the meaning of the motto of Islam:
    "Laa Elaaha lllallaah" (There is no god but Allah)

    Its repetition automatically brings one within the fold of Islam and
    sincere belief in it guarantees one Paradise.
    Thus, the final Prophet of Islam is reported to have said, "Any one
    who says: There is no god but Allah and dies holding that (belief)
    will enter paradise".(Reported by Abu Dharr and collected by Al-
    Bukhaaree and Muslim).
    It consists in the submission to Allah as one God, yielding to Him by
    obeying His commandments, and the denial of polytheism and
    polytheists.

    THE MESSAGE OF FALSE RELIGION

    There are so many sects, cults, religions, philosophies, and
    movements
    in the world, all of which claim to be the right way or the only true
    path to Allah. How can one determine which one is correct or if, in
    fact, all are correct? The method by which the answer can be found is
    to clear away the superficial differences in the teachings of the
    various claimants to the ultimate truth, and identify the central
    object of worship to which they call, directly or indirectly. False
    religions all have in common one basic concept with regards to Allah.
    They either claim that all men are gods or that specific men were
    Allah or that nature is Allah or that Allah is a figment of man's
    imagination.
    Thus, it may be stated that the basic message of false religion is
    that Allah may be worshipped in the form of His creation. False
    religion invites man to the worship of creation by calling the
    creation or some aspect of it God. For example, prophet Jesus invited
    his followers to worship Allah but those who claim to be his
    followers
    today call people to worship Jesus, claiming that he was Allah!
    Buddha was a reformer who introduced a number of humanistic
    principles
    to the religion of India. He did not claim to be God nor did he
    suggest to his followers that he be an object of worship. Yet, today
    most Buddhists who are to be found outside of India have taken him to
    be God and prostrate to idols made in their perception of his
    likeness.
    By using the principle of identifying the object of worship, false
    religion becomes very obvious and the contrived nature of their
    origin
    clear. As God said in the Our'aan:
    That which you worship besides Him are only names you and your
    forefathers have invented for which Allah has sent down no authority:
    The command belongs only to Allah:

    He has commanded that you only worship Him; that is the right
    religion, but most men do not understand ". (Soorah Yoosuf 12:40)
    It may be argued that all religions teach good things so why should
    it
    matter which one we follow. The reply is that all false religions
    teach the greatest evil, the worship of creation. Creation-worship is
    the greatest sin that man can commit because it contradicts the very
    purpose of his creation. Man was created to worship Allah alone as
    Allah has explicitly stated in the Our'aan:

    "I have only created Jlnns and men, that they may worship me"(Soorah
    Zaareeyaat 51:56)
    Consequently, the worship of creation, which is the essence of
    idolatry, is the only unforgivable sin. One who dies in this state of
    idolatry has sealed his fate in the next life. This is not an
    opinion,
    but a revealed fact stated by Allah in his final revelation to man:

    "Verily Allah will not forgive the joining of partners with Him, but
    He may forgive (sins) less than that for whom so ever He
    wishes"(Soorah An- Nisaa 4:48 and 116)
    THE UNIVERSALITY OF ISLAM

    Since the consequences of false religion are so grave, the true
    religion of Allah must be universally understandable and attainable,
    not confined to any people, place or time. There can not be
    conditions
    like baptism, belief in a man, as a saviour etc., for a believer to
    enter paradise. Within the central principle of Islam and in its
    definition, (the surrender of one's will to God) lies the roots of
    lslam's universality. Whenever man comes to the realization that
    Allah
    is one and distinct from His creation, and submits himself to Allah,
    he becomes a Muslim in body and spirit and is eligible for paradise.
    Thus, anyone at anytime in the most remote region of the world can
    become a Muslim, a follower of God's religion, Islam, by merely
    rejecting the worship of creation and by turning to Allah (God)
    alone-
    It should be noted however, that the recognition of and submission to
    Allah requires that one chooses between right and wrong and such a
    choice implies accountability. Man will be held responsible for his
    choices, and, as such, he should try his utmost to do good and avoid
    evil. The ultimate good being the worship of Allah alone and the
    ultimate evil being the worship of His creation along with or instead
    of Allah. This fact is expressed in the final revelation as follows:

    "Verily those who believe, those who follow the Jewish (******ures),
    the Christians and the Sabians any who believe In Allah and the last
    day, and work righteousness *hall have their reward with their
    Lord;They will not be overcome by fear nor grief (Soorah Al-Baqarah
    2:62).
    If only they had stood by the law, the Gospel, and all the revelation
    that was sent to them from their Lord, they would have enjoyed
    happiness from every side. There Is from among them a party on the
    right course; but many of them follow a course that Is evil.".
    (Soorah
    Al-.Maa'idah 5:66)
    RECOGNITION OF ALLAH

    The question which arises here is, "How can all people be expected to
    believe in Allah given their varying- backgrounds, societies and
    cultures? For people to be responsible for worshipping Allah they all
    have to have access to knowledge of Allah. The final revelation
    teaches that all mankind have the recognition of Allah imprinted on
    their souls, a part of their very nature with which they are created.
    In Soorah Al-A'raaf, Verses 172-173; Allah explained that when He
    created Adam, He caused all of Adam's descendants to come into
    existence and took a pledge from them saying, Am I not your Lord? To
    which they all replied, " Yes, we testify to It:'
    Allah then explained why He had all of mankind bear witness that He
    is
    their creator and only true God worthy of worship. He said, "That was
    In case you (mankind) should say on the day of Resurrection, "Verily
    we were unaware of all this." That is to say, we had no idea that You
    Allah, were our God. No one told us that we were only supposed to
    worship You alone. Allah went on to explain That it was also In case
    you should say, "Certainly It was our ancestors who made partners
    (With Allah) and we are only their descendants; will You then destroy
    us for what those liars did?" Thus, every child is born with a
    natural
    belief in Allah and an inborn inclination to worship Him alone called
    in Arabic the "Fitrah".

    If the child were left alone, he would worship Allah in his own way,
    but all children are affected by those things around them, seen or
    unseen.
    The Prophet (PBUH) reported that Allah said, "I created my servants
    in
    the right religion but devils made them go astray". The Prophet
    (PBUH)
    also said, "Each child is born in a state of "Fitrah", then his
    parents make him a Jew, Christian or a Zoroastrian, the way an animal
    gives birth to a normal offspring. Have you noticed any that were
    born
    mutilated?"(Collected by Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim).
    So, just as the child submits to the physical laws which Allah has
    put
    in nature, his soul also submits naturally to the fact that Allah is
    his Lord and Creator. But, his parents try to make him follow their
    own way and the child is not strong enough in the early stages of his
    life to resist or oppose the will of his parents. The religion which
    the child follows at this stage is one of custom and upbringing and
    Allah does not hold him to account or punish him for this religion.
    Throughout people's lives from childhood until the time they die,
    signs are shown to them in all regions of the earth and in their own
    souls, until it becomes clear that there is only one true God
    (Allah).
    If the people are honest with themselves, reject their false gods and
    seek Allah, the way will be made easy for them but if they
    continually
    reject Allah's signs and continue to worship creation, the more
    difficult it will be for them to escape. For example, in the South
    Eastern region of the Amazon jungle in Brazil, South America, a
    primitive tribe erected a new hut to house their main idol Skwatch,
    representing the supreme God of all creation. The homage to the God,
    and while he was in prostration to what he had been taught was his
    Creator and Sustainer, a mangy old flea-ridden dog walked into the
    hut, The young man looked up in time to see the dog lift its hind leg
    and pass urine on the idol. Outraged, the youth chased the dog out of
    the temple, but when his rage died down he realized that the idol
    could not be the Lordof the universe. Allah must be elsewhere. he now
    had a choice to act on his knowledge and seek Allah, or to
    dishonestly
    go along with the false beliefs of his tribe. As strange as it may
    seem, that was a sign from Allah for that young man. It contained
    within it divine guidance that what he was worshipping was false.
    Prophets were sent, as was earlier mentioned, to every nation and
    tribe to support man's natural belief in Allah and man's inborn
    inclination to worship Him as well as to reinforce the divine truth
    in
    the daily signs revealed by Allah. Although, in most cases, much of
    the prophets' teachings became distorted, portions remained which
    point out right and wrong. For example, the ten commandments of the
    Torah, their confirmation in the Gospels and the existence of laws
    against murder, stealing and adultery in most societies.
    Consequently,
    every soul will be held to account for its belief in Allah and its
    acceptance of the religion of Islam; the total submission to the will
    of Allah.

    We pray to Allah, the exalted, to keep us on the right path to which
    He has guided us, and to bestow on us a blessing from Him, He is
    indeed the Most Merciful. Praise and gratitude be to Allah,the Lord
    of
    the worlds, and peace and blessings be on prophet Muhammed, his
    Family, his companions, and those who rightly follow them.

    xoxoxo xoxoxo, Dec 1, 2009