Thread#abort_on_exception=true and exit(0)

Ara.T.Howard

i'd like a way to fork a child, while will have a heartbeat thread running
pinging the parent, partial example:

class Slave
def initialize
unless fork
Thread.abort_on_exception = true
Thread::new do
loop do
Process::kill 0, Process::ppid
sleep 42
end
end
yield
end
end
end

slave =
Slave::new do
loop do
FileUtils::touch 'sentinal'
sleep 42
end
end

in case it isn't clear, this slave dies if it's parent dies. in the real code
there is a method to kill the slave, the slave is detached, etc.

the thing is, i want the slave to execute 'exit!' not 'exit' on thread error
such that exit handlers do not get run.

any thoughts on how to do this?

perhaps redefining Kernel#exit in the slave?

-a
| PHONE :: 303.497.6469
| When you do something, you should burn yourself completely, like a good
| bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself. --Shunryu Suzuki

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

In message "Re: Thread#abort_on_exception=true and exit(0)"

|the thing is, i want the slave to execute 'exit!' not 'exit' on thread error
|such that exit handlers do not get run.
|
|any thoughts on how to do this?

How about wrapping everything in the

begin
... child ...
rescue Exception # catch all exception (including exit)
exit!
end

?

matz.

Ara.T.Howard

Hi,

In message "Re: Thread#abort_on_exception=true and exit(0)"

|the thing is, i want the slave to execute 'exit!' not 'exit' on thread error
|such that exit handlers do not get run.
|
|any thoughts on how to do this?

How about wrapping everything in the

begin
... child ...
rescue Exception # catch all exception (including exit)
exit!
end

?

matz.