Threading in Python

S.Mohideen

Python is praised about - me too. But at one instance it fails. It fails to
behave as a true multi-threaded application. That means utilizing all the
CPUs parallely in the SMP efficiently stays as a dream for a Python
Programmer.

Discussion threads say its due to GIL - global interpreter lock. But nobody
has mentioned any alternative to that apart from suggestions like "Code it
in C" and POSH (http://poshmodule.sf.net). Is there any other way we can
make Python programs really multithreaded in real sense.

Moin

tleeuwenburg

Python is praised about - me too. But at one instance it fails. It fails to
behave as a true multi-threaded application. That means utilizing all the
CPUs parallely in the SMP efficiently stays as a dream for a Python
Programmer.

Discussion threads say its due to GIL - global interpreter lock. But nobody
has mentioned any alternative to that apart from suggestions like "Code it
in C" and POSH (http://poshmodule.sf.net). Is there any other way we can
make Python programs really multithreaded in real sense.

Moin

There are two ways. You can use processes, or you can use IronPython.

Cheers,
-T