Threading on an old machine

Astley Le Jasper

I have an application that put on an old machine with a fresh Xubuntu
installation (with Python 2.5). But I can't get the threading to work

The application was written on a combination of Windows XP and
OpenSuse and has been running without any problems using Eclipse/
Pydev. However, now that I try to run the application using IDLE it
just hangs. I have managed to track the point at which it hangs to
the following line:

for sitename in mysites:
log.info("define thread")
thread_list[search_engine]=threading.Thread(name=sitename,
target=myproceedure, args=(sitename,))
log.info("done")
thread_list[search_engine].start()
log.info("Started")

It gets to the "done" and then hangs. It doesn't appear to get to
'myproceedure'.

The machine is an old Pentium II, with 256mb and 3gb spare on the HD.
It doesn't appear to be having any problems with the other scripts
I've ran.

ALJ

Astley Le Jasper

Sorry ... that should be:

for sitename in mysites:
log.info("define thread")

thread_list[sitename]=threading.Thread(name=sitename,target=myproceedure,
args=(sitename,))
log.info("done")
thread_list[sitename].start()
log.info("Started")

Astley Le Jasper

Sorry ... that should be:

for sitename in mysites:
    log.info("define thread")

thread_list[sitename]=threading.Thread(name=sitename,target=myproceedure,
args=(sitename,))
    log.info("done")
    thread_list[sitename].start()
    log.info("Started")

Ok ... I just tried running it in the terminal and it works ... so I
presume there must be an issue with IDLE?

Terry Reedy

Astley said:
I have an application that put on an old machine with a fresh Xubuntu
installation (with Python 2.5). But I can't get the threading to work

The application was written on a combination of Windows XP and
OpenSuse and has been running without any problems using Eclipse/
Pydev. However, now that I try to run the application using IDLE it
just hangs. I have managed to track the point at which it hangs to
the following line:

for sitename in mysites:
log.info("define thread")
thread_list[search_engine]=threading.Thread(name=sitename,
target=myproceedure, args=(sitename,))
log.info("done")
thread_list[search_engine].start()
log.info("Started")

It gets to the "done" and then hangs. It doesn't appear to get to
'myproceedure'.

Since 'myproceedure' is before 'done', the above is unclear.

Astley Le Jasper

Astley said:
[...]

I included a log.info in myprocedure. However, it doesn't trigger
because the thread doesn't actually get to the myprocedure ... at
least with Idle anyway.