Threads and Virtual Memory

Andrew Thompson

I did, was told it was a known error from international domains, they
suggested to us Google Groups beta

(chuckle) And there I was thinking the *original* problem was with
Google beta. Thanks for clarifying.
..which I now do, hope it works!

Your posts are threading correctly now. Hopefully whatever
was the problem has been fixed for good.

stigc

Thanks Harish,
I've tried the settings, but nothing really works.

I've also got access to another Linux server (with another kernal), but
it's exactly the same. JDK 1.3.1 fails, JDK 1.4 works.

So, I don't think I going to get it working - I'll redesign the
application and see if we can move to 1.4 where the problem doesn't
occur (just in case I'm really going to need many threads).
Thanks for your help!

Regards
Stig

Thomas G. Marshall

(e-mail address removed) coughed up:
Hi Thomas,
so true. I don't claim to master it either, but I do think I'm beyond
the "thing.set()" example you show....
Thing is, that letting functions run in their own world, doing their
thing and only that, seems so tempting. In this case, 2 functions each
doing different things, no need to clutter the logic in either
functions.
But then again... as you say, things do get ugly when trying to
coordinate to 2.
I'm going to re-think the strategy.

Thanks
Stig

If you like, over email, I can tell you the quick technique I used to shrink
some 600+ threads down to a handful. It was very clean, easy to use, and
had all the "robust"-itude :) of regular threading.

Good luck.