Throttling software to show how long a page takes to load on a slower connection?

joshbeall

Hi All,

Does anyone happen to know of software that can be used to throttle a
network connection, so you can see how long a pageload would take on a
slower connection?

For instance, let's say I wanted to watch how long it took for my page
to load on a modem. If I had software that could throttle my network
interface down, I would then request the page and watch it.

Bonus points if it can throttle the loopback device, because then I can
request the page from localhost and it will still work.

Running XP Pro.

I know one can determine the total amount of data downloaded, then
detemine speed at which a 56k modem would download it... but I think it
would give me a better sense of load times if I could actually throttle
the connection and *see* how long it takes.

Any suggestions?

Jonathan N. Little

Hi All,

Does anyone happen to know of software that can be used to throttle a
network connection, so you can see how long a pageload would take on a
slower connection?

I know one can determine the total amount of data downloaded, then
detemine speed at which a 56k modem would download it... but I think it
would give me a better sense of load times if I could actually throttle
the connection and *see* how long it takes.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/index.html

Web Page Analyzer - free website optimization tool website speed test
check website performance report from web site optimization

It is also on the FireFox Web Developers Bar extension.

David Segall

Hi All,

Does anyone happen to know of software that can be used to throttle a
network connection, so you can see how long a pageload would take on a
slower connection?

For instance, let's say I wanted to watch how long it took for my page
to load on a modem. If I had software that could throttle my network
interface down, I would then request the page and watch it.

Bonus points if it can throttle the loopback device, because then I can
request the page from localhost and it will still work.
Using Netlimiter <http://www.netlimiter.com/> you can adjust the
network rate of any application on your computer. You can even adjust
the rate of individual connections for a program. You can set the
communication speed of say, Firefox, to localhost (yes, it gets the
Bonus points) to 1K but all other connections can remain unlimited.
Now for extra bonus points. You can have a free 28 day trial and the
version that meets your specifications costs $US16.95!

I know I sound like a Netlimiter salesman but I don't have anything to
do with them. It's just that, occasionally, you come across a piece of
software that is clearly the creation of one person who is dedicated
to the job.

Jim Higson

Hi All,

Does anyone happen to know of software that can be used to throttle a
network connection, so you can see how long a pageload would take on a
slower connection?

For instance, let's say I wanted to watch how long it took for my page
to load on a modem. If I had software that could throttle my network
interface down, I would then request the page and watch it.

Bonus points if it can throttle the loopback device, because then I can
request the page from localhost and it will still work.

Running XP Pro.

I know one can determine the total amount of data downloaded, then
detemine speed at which a 56k modem would download it... but I think it
would give me a better sense of load times if I could actually throttle
the connection and *see* how long it takes.

Any suggestions?

I use a little Perl script called ip_relay.pl that can bind any remote
server/port combo to a local port with throttling.

So I run my localhost server on port 80, and a throttled relay to
localhost:80 on port 8080. Works really well here. Don't know how it'd do
on Windows, but might be worth a try.

There are also a modules for Apache called mod_throttle and mod_bandwidth
that might be able to help. I haven't played with them much though.