thumbs without table

Jochen Fuhrmann

Hi,
I want to place 7x7 thumbs on a page, and I don't want to use a table
and I want to avoid divs too. Each pic should be centered in an area of
the same size, lets say 100px x 100px. The problem is, that the pix
don't have the same size, so I can not use a margin.

thanx ... jo

Nik Coughin

Jochen said:
Hi,
I want to place 7x7 thumbs on a page, and I don't want to use a table
and I want to avoid divs too. Each pic should be centered in an area
of the same size, lets say 100px x 100px. The problem is, that the pix
don't have the same size, so I can not use a margin.

thanx ... jo

Yes, you can do this using magic. Hire a sorceror.

Seriously, if you're not willing to wrap the pictures in a div/p/container
of some kind, there's nothing to center them inside. You should preprocess
your images instead. There are lots of tools that will do this in a batch
fashion if you have lots of thumbs to make.

Neal

Hi,
I want to place 7x7 thumbs on a page, and I don't want to use a table
and I want to avoid divs too. Each pic should be centered in an area of
the same size, lets say 100px x 100px. The problem is, that the pix
don't have the same size, so I can not use a margin.

Ok.

You want to use thumbnail images withlut using tables, and without divs.

But - you want to center them in an area 100x100 px. How do you propose
this be done without a table cell or a div?

You're fucked. The best solution will break some portion of your desire
here. Just be prepared.

BTW, 7x7 on a page presupposes that the user agent's viewport is 700 or so
pixels wide. Some viewports will be smaller, some much larger. How do you
propose this be dealt with?

Neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Jochen Fuhrmann quothed:
Hi,
I want to place 7x7 thumbs on a page, and I don't want to use a table
and I want to avoid divs too. Each pic should be centered in an area of
the same size, lets say 100px x 100px. The problem is, that the pix
don't have the same size, so I can not use a margin.

thanx ... jo

Yeah, I just did something very similar.

Check out http://www.neredbojias.com/ for a simple (the html) example.

Jeffrey Silverman

Good - it's probably not tabular data.

Hmm...

This seems like a perfect use of a table. It's not technically tabular
"data" but it is a table layout, plain and simple.

Now I ask you all, what is wrong with a table in this case?? IMO, any time
you see "i want to layout these things in a X by Y layout" screams "TABLE"
to me!

7X7 -- 7 rows? 7 Columns? Why you would do anything *but* a table is
beyond me.

Steve Pugh

Hmm...

This seems like a perfect use of a table. It's not technically tabular
"data" but it is a table layout, plain and simple.

So an HTML <table> would be wrong but a CSS display: table; would be
perfect.

Shame about IE...
7X7 -- 7 rows? 7 Columns? Why you would do anything *but* a table is
beyond me.

As far as we've been told, the 7x7 arrangement is not due to any structure
of the contents, it's merely presentational. If the arrangement was
changed to 5x10 or 8x6 (yeah I know) then the meaning of the content would
not be changed. Now try doing that with a data table and you end up with
gibberish.

On a less theoretical note, an arrangement of floated divs that displays
as 7x7 on some windows but which adjusts to 8 rows of six (plus one
singleton) on slightly narrower windows, and then to 9 rows of five (minus
one row of four) on even narrower windows, is more user friendly as it
avoids horizontal scrolling - which a table layoyt can not.

Steve

SpaceGirl

Jeffrey said:
Hmm...

This seems like a perfect use of a table. It's not technically tabular
"data" but it is a table layout, plain and simple.

Now I ask you all, what is wrong with a table in this case?? IMO, any time
you see "i want to layout these things in a X by Y layout" screams "TABLE"
to me!

7X7 -- 7 rows? 7 Columns? Why you would do anything *but* a table is
beyond me.

I agree. Anyway tabular data does not mean "must contain text". A
database, for example, is filled with tables and each 'cell' could
contain ANYTHING... any binary data what so ever. CSS is far from a
cure-all. It can be misused just as much as tables.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Jim Higson

On a less theoretical note, an arrangement of floated divs that displays
as 7x7 on some windows but which adjusts to 8 rows of six (plus one
singleton) on slightly narrower windows, and then to 9 rows of five (minus
one row of four) on even narrower windows, is more user friendly as it
avoids horizontal scrolling - which a table layoyt can not.

Pretty much what I did on this (almost complete) site, see the thumbnails
here:

http://www.masmodels.com/portfolio.en.html

Steve Pugh

I agree. Anyway tabular data does not mean "must contain text".

No one ever said that it did. (Except those strawmen that Barry
invented...)
A database, for example, is filled with tables and each 'cell' could
contain ANYTHING... any binary data what so ever.

Of course, but there are relationships between the data. If I took all the
pictures from the "exterior view" field and put them in the "dimensions"
field then the database would be screwed. But if I rearrange the pictures
in an unstructured array of thumbnails then all thst's changed is the
appearance.
CSS is far from a cure-all. It can be misused just as much as tables.

True. But using CSS to create a flexible attractive array of pictures
surely can't be an abuse?

Steve

SpaceGirl

Steve said:
No one ever said that it did. (Except those strawmen that Barry
invented...)

Of course, but there are relationships between the data. If I took all
the pictures from the "exterior view" field and put them in the
"dimensions" field then the database would be screwed. But if I
rearrange the pictures in an unstructured array of thumbnails then all
thst's changed is the appearance.

True. But using CSS to create a flexible attractive array of pictures
surely can't be an abuse?

Steve

Depends how you look at it. Perhaps the images are refered to in the DOM
by a script, or even XSLT? At which point the order might matter a LOT.

But that's totally nit-picky so I'll shut up :p

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Andy Dingley

I want to place 7x7 thumbs on a page, and I don't want to use a table

Use a table. Once you have a set of entities and you've decided "This
set makes sense as a 7x7 grid", then you've decreed it to be a table.
and I want to avoid divs too.

Now that's just being overly dogmatic.

Lauri Raittila

Jochen Fuhrmann wrote;
Hi,
I want to place 7x7 thumbs on a page, and I don't want to use a table

If it is not table, why force 7 x 7?
and I want to avoid divs too.

Not necessarily good idea
Each pic should be centered in an area of
the same size, lets say 100px x 100px.
Why?

The problem is, that the pix
don't have the same size, so I can not use a margin.

Sure you can. Get a tool that does that for you. JAlbum can, at least,
most likely many other too.

Lemming

I agree. Anyway tabular data does not mean "must contain text". A
database, for example, is filled with tables and each 'cell' could
contain ANYTHING... any binary data what so ever. CSS is far from a
cure-all. It can be misused just as much as tables.

Don't confuse the DBMS table data structure with HTML tables. They
are completely different animals.

Lemming