Tiled Image viewer

Ian McConnell

Does anyone know of a widget or sample code for viewing huge (ie bigger than
RAM) images in python? The usual way of doing this is to read part of the
image into memory as a set of tiles and then zoom and pan the tiles.

The sort of thing I'm trying to achive is at

http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/IIPDemo.html

but I'd like to be able to do something like this with python (wxpython).
The other problems are that I don't really want a client/server (just a
single executable) and I have a funny image format (100s MB of matrix data)
so making the image pyramids would be a little tricky.

I've found Matt Kimballs pan and zoom widget

http://web.archive.org/web/20030810111006/http://matt.kimball.net/image_view.html

but this still reads the whole image into memory. Is there something similar
to image_view.py, but which also does tiling?

Thanks,
Ian