Timeout when connecting to sybase DBS

eranlevi

Hi All,

I'm using the Sybase module for connecting and using a sybase DBS.
When I try to connect when the DBS is down, it take approximately 4
minutes for the function (conn.ct_connect) to return with an error. I
have looked for a timeout parameter to limit the 4 minutes to
something more reasonable but couldn't find one.
Can anyone please help?

BTW, I'm using Sybase.connect(<DBS name>, <Username>, <Password>,
datetime='auto')

Thanks

Gil

skip

Gil> I have looked for a timeout parameter to limit the 4 minutes to
Gil> something more reasonable but couldn't find one. Can anyone please
Gil> help?

Gil> BTW, I'm using Sybase.connect(<DBS name>, <Username>, <Password>,
Gil> datetime='auto')

We use the Sybase module where I work, but I've never encountered this
problem (or a timeout parameter of any kind). At any rate, you'll probably
have more luck asking on the python-sybase mailing list:

(e-mail address removed)

eranlevi

    Gil> I have looked for a timeout parameter to limit the 4 minutes to
    Gil> something more reasonable but couldn't find one.  Can anyone please
    Gil> help?

    Gil> BTW, I'm using Sybase.connect(<DBS name>, <Username>, <Password>,
    Gil> datetime='auto')

We use the Sybase module where I work, but I've never encountered this
problem (or a timeout parameter of any kind).  At any rate, you'll probably
have more luck asking on the python-sybase mailing list:

    (e-mail address removed)

Are you saying, that when you trying to connect to a sybase DBS server
and the DBS or the server is down, you get an error after a few
seconds and not after a few minutes? Which python version are you
using?

I'll try to ask in the python-sybase mailing list

Thanks

eranlevi

Are you saying, that when you trying to connect to a sybase DBS server
and the DBS or the server is down, you get an error after a few
seconds and not after a few minutes? Which python version are you
using?

I'll try to ask in the python-sybase mailing list

Thanks

There's no such group as python-sybase :-(

Thanks

skip

Gil> Are you saying, that when you trying to connect to a sybase DBS
Gil> server and the DBS or the server is down, you get an error after a
Gil> few seconds and not after a few minutes?

Yes, though thankfully our server tends to almost always be up.

Gil> Which python version are you using?

We're still running 2.4.5 at work and have a slightly hacked very old
version of the python-sybase package (0.36).

eranlevi

    Gil> Are you saying, that when you trying to connect to a sybase DBS
    Gil> server and the DBS or the server is down, you get an error after a
    Gil> few seconds and not after a few minutes?

Yes, though thankfully our server tends to almost always be up.

    Gil> Which python version are you using?

We're still running 2.4.5 at work and have a slightly hacked very old
version of the python-sybase package (0.36).

That is really strange :-(
I'll ask in the python-sybase group

Thanks