Times where one would use new style classes vs classic classes

Quek

Hi all,

I'm really new to Python and I've been reading up some texts on older
versions of Python (2.2 to be specific).

The text briefly mentioned new style and classic classes.

I'd really like to know in the current context of Python 2.5, besides
in the cases of multi-inheritance, where would I use new style
classes? Is it a norm to use more new style classes even if I don't
have multi-inheritance in the industry, open source projects, etc
today?

If this isn't the right place to ask these questions, could some one
point me somewhere more appropriate?

Thanks a lot.

Daniel Fetchinson

I'm really new to Python and I've been reading up some texts on older
versions of Python (2.2 to be specific).

The text briefly mentioned new style and classic classes.

I'd really like to know in the current context of Python 2.5, besides
in the cases of multi-inheritance, where would I use new style
classes? Is it a norm to use more new style classes even if I don't
have multi-inheritance in the industry, open source projects, etc
today?

If this isn't the right place to ask these questions, could some one
point me somewhere more appropriate?

As a general rule one always uses new style classes. In fact, in
python 3.0 old style classes will cease to exist which fact alone
justifies their abandonment from 2.x code too.

Cheers,
Daniel

Bruno Desthuilliers

Quek a écrit :
Hi all,

I'm really new to Python and I've been reading up some texts on older
versions of Python (2.2 to be specific).

The text briefly mentioned new style and classic classes.

I'd really like to know in the current context of Python 2.5, besides
in the cases of multi-inheritance, where would I use new style
classes?

Everywhere you don't have to support compat with ages-old versions of
Python. MI is not the main point of newstyle classes (FWIW, you can do
MI with old-style classes too), they have quite a lot more to offer.
Consider "classic" classes as a legacy feature, period.

Quek

Quek a écrit :

Everywhere you don't have to support compat with ages-old versions of
Python. MI is not the main point of newstyle classes (FWIW, you can do
MI with old-styleclasses too), they have quite a lot more to offer.
Consider "classic" classes as a legacy feature, period.

Thanks everyone.