Tkinter, Alt, and Windows

Tim Daneliuk

Arrrrrggg. I have a program that runs comfortably across both Unix variants
and Windows ... except .... I wish to bind an Alt-ButtonRelease-3 combination
to popup a menu. This works flawlessly under Unix, but with windows,
the menu appears briefly and then disappears. I'm guessing that Alt
under windows generates another event that I am not catching and the
default internal Tk message handler is processing it and causing my
menu to get destroyed.

It seems that any combination involving the Alt key has this issue -
for example Control-Alt-ButtonRelease-3 does the same thing.

Has anyone else run into this behavior and have a fix???

TIA,

Tim Daneliuk

Tim said:
Arrrrrggg. I have a program that runs comfortably across both Unix
variants
and Windows ... except .... I wish to bind an Alt-ButtonRelease-3
combination
to popup a menu. This works flawlessly under Unix, but with windows,
the menu appears briefly and then disappears. I'm guessing that Alt
under windows generates another event that I am not catching and the
default internal Tk message handler is processing it and causing my
menu to get destroyed.

It seems that any combination involving the Alt key has this issue -
for example Control-Alt-ButtonRelease-3 does the same thing.

Has anyone else run into this behavior and have a fix???

I have a partial workaround but the mechanics still mystify me.
I actually was trying to bind two different popup menus to as follows:

Alt-ButtonRelease-3 Menu1
Alt-Control-ButtonRelease-3 Menu2

This did not work ... so I began to wonder if this was problem
with Tk using greedy matching with event descriptors. So, I changed
it as follows:

Control-ButtonRelease-3 Menu1
Alt-Control-ButtonRelease-3 Menu2

This now works fine, BUT ONLY if Alt is pressed *before* Control when popping up
Menu2. IOW Windows is sensitive to the *order* of Alt being applied where
Unix is not. Very, very strange ...