Tkinter and Graphics

Alex Martelli

Andrew said:
Hi I was wondering if there is anyway in Tkinter to create GUIs using
Graphics, like windows media player or other tools like that

I guess you could do just about anything with Canvas, it that's what you
mean.

Alex

John Hunter

Andrew> Hi I was wondering if there is anyway in Tkinter to create
Andrew> GUIs using Graphics, like windows media player or other
Andrew> tools like that

Andrew> basically so the interface wouldn't be your standard
Andrew> interface

Andrew> any ideas, links to tutorials, or examples

Andrew> is appreciated

This sounds like enthought's enable toolkit, which is still under
development. Basically, they use the antigrain graphics library to
develop their own GUI widgets, which can then be embedded in a tk
graphic's canvas, at gtk drawing area, a wx panel, etc. Though enable
doesn't support all of these GUIs currently, I believe, it can in
principle.

http://svn.enthought.com/svn/enthought

I've often wished for something like this in developing matplotlib,
because a lot of work goes into supporting multiple GUIs, and it would
be nice to have a core set of widgets that port across GUIs. Another
approach is anygui, which I've been meaning to look into...

JDH

Andrew

Hi I was wondering if there is anyway in Tkinter to create GUIs using
Graphics, like windows media player or other tools like that

basically so the interface wouldn't be your standard interface

any ideas, links to tutorials, or examples

is appreciated

Cheers

jmdeschamps

I guess you could do just about anything with Canvas, it that's what you
mean.

Alex

Such as this (below)
(I made this while reading as an refresher for myself, since I'm doing
mostly CGI and web related stuff these days!)

Good interface design!!!

JM

################
import Tkinter

bar = 1
cursing = True

def foo(s):
global bar
print bar
bar += 1

def baz(s):
global cursing,rCanvas
if cursing :
cursing = False
rCanvas.config(cursor="pirate")
else:
cursing = True
rCanvas.config(cursor="")

root = Tkinter.Tk()
rCanvas=Tkinter.Canvas(root, background="white")
idPoly=rCanvas.create_polygon(10,10,10,200,150,250,50,100)
rCanvas.tag_bind(idPoly,"<Button-1>",foo)
rCanvas.tag_bind(idPoly,"<Enter>",baz)
rCanvas.tag_bind(idPoly,"<Leave>",baz)
rCanvas.pack()
root.mainloop()
###############

Chad Crabtree

Andrew said:
Hi I was wondering if there is anyway in Tkinter to create GUIs using
Graphics, like windows media player or other tools like that

basically so the interface wouldn't be your standard interface

any ideas, links to tutorials, or examples

is appreciated

Cheers
Check out wxPython ShapedWindow in the DEMO

bsmith

Hi I was wondering if there is anyway in Tkinter to create GUIs using
Graphics, like windows media player or other tools like that

basically so the interface wouldn't be your standard interface

any ideas, links to tutorials, or examples

is appreciated

Cheers

Highly recommended: _Python and Tkinter Programming_ by John E. Grayson,
if you can find a copy. (It's out of stock on Manning's site and they
don't offer it in Electronic form.)

http://www.manning.com/grayson

Section 8.7 ("Image Maps"), where the author describes building a GUI that
looks like a TI-82, by using an image of same as the basis for the
interface seems like it could be relevant.

Chapter 9 ("Panels and Machines") also seems like it could be of help to
you. It describes building a GUI modeled on the front panel of an actual
device. It also contains a nice front-end for a digital multimeter with a
rotating knob for setting the current range.

Perhaps you can find a copy on amazon, ebay or a brick-and-mortar store
with slow turn-over.

// Ben