Tkinter Toplevel geometry

Chris

Hi,

If a user resizes a Toplevel window, or I set a Toplevel's geometry
using the geometry() method*, is there any way to have the geometry
reset to that required for all the widgets?

I think I found what I'm looking for in tk itself:
"""
13.3. How can I clear the geometry settings for a toplevel?
If you want to have Tk resize your toplevel to what the toplevel
requires (ie: the user might have resized it, or a widget was
removed), use [wm geometry $toplevel].
"""
[from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/faqs/tk/]

* for instance, if I want to turn of Tkinter's automatic adjustment of
the window to fit all the widgets by doing something like
self.geometry(self.geometry()), is there any way to undo that?

Thanks,
Chris

James Stroud

Chris said:
Hi,

If a user resizes a Toplevel window, or I set a Toplevel's geometry
using the geometry() method*, is there any way to have the geometry
reset to that required for all the widgets?

I think I found what I'm looking for in tk itself:
"""
13.3. How can I clear the geometry settings for a toplevel?
If you want to have Tk resize your toplevel to what the toplevel
requires (ie: the user might have resized it, or a widget was
removed), use [wm geometry $toplevel].
"""
[from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/faqs/tk/]

* for instance, if I want to turn of Tkinter's automatic adjustment of
the window to fit all the widgets by doing something like
self.geometry(self.geometry()), is there any way to undo that?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I think you are on to something. The equivalent of

[wm geometry $toplevel]

in Tkinter would be

sometop.geometry()

Or, equivalently,

sometop.wm_geometry()

Or, calling the underlying tcl/tk interpreter directly

sometop.tk.call('wm', 'geometry', str(sometop))

Which is redundant, but emphasizes the point: This does not resize the
widget as expected nor does it cause the window to resize upon adding
new packing slaves--at least for the X11 based Tkinter for mac via the
fink debian based package manager.

Really wish things worked according to the docs a lot of the time or
that they weren't so poorly written. Perhaps they are implying that you
must pass parameters, however they do not explain how one might generate
said parameters to get the required size to which they allude. Terribly
disappointing.

James

James Stroud

James said:
Chris said:
[...]

After playing with this an inordinate amount of time, I found that one
does need to supply parameters, namely the null parameter of an empty
string. Try:

sometop.geometry('')

This repacks according to the widgets. Not quite clear from the
miserable docs, is it?

James

James Stroud

James said:
James said:
Chris said:
[...]

Now for the advanced question, how might one bind that to the
resize/maximize button of the window decorations? I'm guessing with
protocol, but its way past my bedtime.

James

Chris

After playing with this an inordinate amount of time, I found that one
does need to supply parameters, namely the null parameter of an empty
string. Try:

sometop.geometry('')

This repacks according to the widgets. Not quite clear from the
miserable docs, is it?

Wow, that does work. Thank you very much for figuring it out!

Cameron Laird

Wow, that does work. Thank you very much for figuring it out!

A TRULY good way to show your thanks for help like this
is to write up what you learned at the Tkinter Wiki <URL:
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/ >. Note:
A. You have to log in to edit pages
on this particular Wiki. If you
decide to join us, then, you'll
first need to create an account.

Read-only visitors can be anony-
mous, of course.
B. Major thanks to Jeff Epler for
maintaining the site, and, in
particular, for fighting off
recent vandalism.

Russell E. Owen

"Chris said:
Hi,

If a user resizes a Toplevel window, or I set a Toplevel's geometry
using the geometry() method*, is there any way to have the geometry
reset to that required for all the widgets?

I think I found what I'm looking for in tk itself:
"""
13.3. How can I clear the geometry settings for a toplevel?
If you want to have Tk resize your toplevel to what the toplevel
requires (ie: the user might have resized it, or a widget was
removed), use [wm geometry $toplevel].
"""

I'm glad you got that figured out.

Here's a variant question that has driven me crazy...how to create a
general-purpose variation of toplevel that:
- can only be resized in one direction and auto-sizes (to fit widgets)
in the other direction?
- has a "reasonable" initial size in the resizable direction.

The first part is easy -- just use the "resizable" method. I've never
figured out a clean solution to the second question because:
- tk doesn't allow setting just X or Y size of a toplevel (the geometry
call requires both or neither)
- one can use a frame to force the resizable dimension to the desired
initial value, but to do that you either have to know in advance what
geometry manager the user is using, or make them pack their widgets into
a frame inside the toplevel

I ended up binding to the Configure event, but it's rather messy for
such a simple-seeming thing. (The really aggravating part is that perl
can do this directly because it uses C instead of tcl to talk to tk, and
tk's C interface is more flexible about setting toplevel geometry!).

-- Russell

Chris

A TRULY good way to show your thanks for help like this
is to write up what you learned at theTkinterWiki <URL:http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/>. Note:
A. You have to log in to edit pages
on this particular Wiki. If you
decide to join us, then, you'll
first need to create an account.

I'll do that, yes. I guess I should create a 'Toplevel' page and put
the information on there? Unless someone can suggest something better.

I also wonder if I should have posted this question to the tkinter-
discuss mailing list (see http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TkinterDiscuss)
instead of to comp.lang.python. However, I wasn't aware of that list
before, and it's not linked to from the python.org 'community' page
(as far as I can see - and in fact, the python.org pages imply that
tkinter questions should be asked on comp.lang.python). I'm new to
tkinter, so it wasn't immediately clear where to get help.