Tools/frameworks for Java multi-core programming?

Discussion in 'Java' started by anthonycwmak@gmail.com, Aug 14, 2012.

  1. Guest

    I am trying to find tools/frameworks that help with writing Java program that can utilize multi-core CPU. So far I only found jconcurr, JOMP, JAMP, Ateji, but they all either requires special shell command to compile and run the programs, or, in Ateji's case use a special file extension which is converted to java file. This doesn't seem to be ideal if I require to build multi-core programs that can be built on Maven or similar, and requires them to run on an enterprise environment or application server.

    Besides writing concurrent programs, by using Java Concurrency API directly, to utilize the multi-core, are there other easier/simpler way to create Java enterprise applications that utlize multi-core CPUs? Preferably, just annotate my POJOs to make them multi-core capable?

    Kind Regards,
    Anthony Mak
     
    , Aug 14, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Guest

    http://tutorialswithexamples.com/category/java-tutorials/java-logging-apis/


    On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:18:10 AM UTC+5:30, wrote:
    > I am trying to find tools/frameworks that help with writing Java program that can utilize multi-core CPU. So far I only found jconcurr, JOMP, JAMP, Ateji, but they all either requires special shell command to compile and run the programs, or, in Ateji's case use a special file extension which is converted to java file. This doesn't seem to be ideal if I require to build multi-core programs that can be built on Maven or similar, and requires them to run on an enterprise environment or application server.
    >
    >
    >
    > Besides writing concurrent programs, by using Java Concurrency API directly, to utilize the multi-core, are there other easier/simpler way to createJava enterprise applications that utlize multi-core CPUs? Preferably, justannotate my POJOs to make them multi-core capable?
    >
    >
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Anthony Mak
     
    , Aug 14, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On 14.08.2012 07:48, wrote:
    > I am trying to find tools/frameworks that help with writing Java
    > program that can utilize multi-core CPU. So far I only found
    > jconcurr, JOMP, JAMP, Ateji, but they all either requires special
    > shell command to compile and run the programs, or, in Ateji's case
    > use a special file extension which is converted to java file. This
    > doesn't seem to be ideal if I require to build multi-core programs
    > that can be built on Maven or similar,


    Why is that an issue? Typically you can include custom build procedures
    in a build tool / framework.

    > and requires them to run on an
    > enterprise environment or application server.


    If you are on an JEE application server that will usually take care of
    the concurrency. You typically need to use those APIs the JEE spec or
    AS at hand provides to not interfere with the framework in bad ways
    (e.g. by breaking transactions). That does not seem like a bad option
    although AS come with their own learning curve.

    > Besides writing concurrent programs, by using Java Concurrency API
    > directly, to utilize the multi-core, are there other easier/simpler
    > way to create Java enterprise applications that utlize multi-core
    > CPUs? Preferably, just annotate my POJOs to make them multi-core
    > capable?


    "Making a POJO multi-core capable" is meaningless. Using concurrency is
    more like an architectural property of your application (even though you
    need to take care to use POJOs properly - but it's not enough to make
    POJOs thread safe). At this point I am suspecting that someone told you
    modern Java programs must use multiple cores and you want to get it done
    easily. Unfortunately that won't work: you need to understand the
    particular issues associated with concurrency to properly craft such
    applications - even if you use a framework that takes away a large part
    of the work from you.

    Kind regards

    robert

    --
    remember.guy do |as, often| as.you_can - without end
    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
     
    Robert Klemme, Aug 14, 2012
    #3
  4. Lew Guest

    Robert Klemme wrote:
    > anthonycwmak wrote:
    >> I am trying to find tools/frameworks that help with writing Java
    >> program that can utilize multi-core CPU. So far I only found


    Java programs can "utilize" multi-core CPUs out of the box.
    You need do nothing special.

    >> jconcurr, JOMP, JAMP, Ateji, but they all either requires special
    >> shell command to compile and run the programs, or, in Ateji's case
    >> use a special file extension which is converted to java file. This
    >> doesn't seem to be ideal if I require to build multi-core programs
    >> that can be built on Maven or similar,


    > Why is that an issue? Typically you can include custom build procedures
    > in a build tool / framework.


    >> and requires them to run on an
    >> enterprise environment or application server.


    > If you are on an JEE application server that will usually take care of
    > the concurrency. You typically need to use those APIs the JEE spec or
    > AS at hand provides to not interfere with the framework in bad ways
    > (e.g. by breaking transactions). That does not seem like a bad option
    > although AS come with their own learning curve.


    >> Besides writing concurrent programs, by using Java Concurrency API
    >> directly, to utilize the multi-core, are there other easier/simpler
    >> way to create Java enterprise applications that utlize multi-core
    >> CPUs? Preferably, just annotate my POJOs to make them multi-core
    >> capable?


    > "Making a POJO multi-core capable" is meaningless. Using concurrency is
    > more like an architectural property of your application (even though you
    > need to take care to use POJOs properly - but it's not enough to make
    > POJOs thread safe). At this point I am suspecting that someone told you
    > modern Java programs must use multiple cores and you want to get it done
    > easily. Unfortunately that won't work: you need to understand the
    > particular issues associated with concurrency to properly craft such
    > applications - even if you use a framework that takes away a large part
    > of the work from you.


    As Robert said, if you're writing enterprise apps using Java EE, then the
    threading is already done. You should pretty much never explicitly code
    a Java EE component to spawn a thread.

    Java SE is another matter. You do have to use thread calls to spawn threads.
    Once you have at least two threads in a program (and all Java programs do),
    then you are multi-core capable.

    Java programs that use threads are already multi-core capable.

    Boom, done.

    What are you really after?

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Aug 14, 2012
    #4
  5. Guest

    hi Robert, Lew,

    Thanks you guys for reminding me about not to spawn threads on JEE applications directly. I should look into perhaps using EJB Timer and other ways toimplement concurrency properly in enterprise app.

    I am interested Loop Parallelization (and Tash Parallelization, Pipeline Paralleization etc) as supported by tools such as jconqurr etc. Which could be useful for scientific applications and matrix operations. (I looked into divide and conquer approaches like MapReduce as well.) But I like the idea like jconqurr and other tools, that I can implement parallelization with just code annotations. At least in those simple case that locking and consistency is not a problem. Thanks for pointing out I can make custom building procedure with a build tool, just that if the parallelization tool/frameworks don't require command line building it is preferable to me.

    I am interested in multi-core programming because a while ago there have been some buzz about how to utilize multi-core or even GPU for example for scientific applications. And, I was wondering how to do that in Java. :) Justcurious.

    Anthony
     
    , Aug 16, 2012
    #5
  6. markspace Guest

    On 8/15/2012 6:50 PM, wrote:

    >
    > I am interested in multi-core programming because a while ago there
    > have been some buzz about how to utilize multi-core or even GPU for
    > example for scientific applications. And, I was wondering how to do
    > that in Java. :) Just curious.



    Introduction here:

    <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/concurrency/forkjoin.html>
     
    markspace, Aug 16, 2012
    #6
  7. Guest

    Thanks about the ForkJoin, Mark. Most interesting read! (Even though in some enviroments I still have to use Java 1.6!)

    Anthony
     
    , Aug 16, 2012
    #7
  8. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 8/16/2012 3:10 AM, wrote:
    > Thanks about the ForkJoin, Mark. Most interesting read! (Even though in some enviroments I still have to use Java 1.6!)


    I believe that you can get the 'y' code from here:
    http://g.oswego.edu/dl/concurrency-interest/
    and make it work on 1.6!

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 18, 2012
    #8
  9. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 8/14/2012 2:22 PM, wrote:
    > On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:18:10 AM UTC+5:30,
    > wrote:
    >> Besides writing concurrent programs, by using Java Concurrency API
    >> directly, to utilize the multi-core, are there other easier/simpler
    >> way to create Java enterprise applications that utlize multi-core
    >> CPUs? Preferably, just annotate my POJOs to make them multi-core
    >> capable?


    > http://.../category/java-tutorials/java-logging-apis/


    What has logging API's to do with this question??

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 20, 2012
    #9
  10. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 8/15/2012 9:50 PM, wrote:
    > I am interested Loop Parallelization (and Tash Parallelization,
    > Pipeline Paralleization etc) as supported by tools such as jconqurr
    > etc. Which could be useful for scientific applications and matrix
    > operations. (I looked into divide and conquer approaches like
    > MapReduce as well.)


    markspace has already pointed you to fork join.

    > But I like the idea like jconqurr and other
    > tools, that I can implement parallelization with just code
    > annotations.


    Now we are starting to talk about something rather specialized.

    Maybe you will need to write something yourself.

    > At least in those simple case that locking and
    > consistency is not a problem. Thanks for pointing out I can make
    > custom building procedure with a build tool, just that if the
    > parallelization tool/frameworks don't require command line building
    > it is preferable to me.


    You can do practically verything from ant and you can call
    ant from your IDE.

    > I am interested in multi-core programming because a while ago there
    > have been some buzz about how to utilize multi-core or even GPU for
    > example for scientific applications. And, I was wondering how to do
    > that in Java. :)


    Basic thread support has been in Java since version 1.0.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 20, 2012
    #10
  11. Guest

    , Aug 20, 2012
    #11
  12. Lew Guest

    Lew, Aug 20, 2012
    #12
  13. On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:26:38 -0700, Lew wrote:

    > On 08/19/2012 10:05 PM, wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> http://.../category/java-tutorials/java-logging-apis/
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> What has logging API's to do with this question??

    >>
    >> I was wondering the same.
    >> Also, for some reason this threads seem to have a lot of repeated
    >> postings.

    >
    > You must be using Google Groups.
    >

    Not necessarily.

    I'm reading my ISP's NNTP server with the Pan newsreader and I'm seeing
    the duplicates, though they're easy to recognise since Pan shows repeated
    To and From: header pairs in front of the message text.


    > Someone is spamming the cljp newsgroup via some sort of bot that
    > duplicates old messages.
    >

    Two thoughts:

    - what evidence is there that this is really a 'bot and not some bug in
    an inadequately tested server, possibly in Google Groups.

    I didn't see it before I went on holiday on the 25th of July but it was
    doing its thing when I got back online on the 18th of August.

    - I follow a few newsgroups but this is the only one that is showing this
    odd duplication bug.


    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    org |
     
    Martin Gregorie, Aug 20, 2012
    #13
  14. On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:48:44 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:26:38 -0700, Lew wrote:
    >
    >> On 08/19/2012 10:05 PM, wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> http://.../category/java-tutorials/java-logging-apis/
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> What has logging API's to do with this question??
    >>>
    >>> I was wondering the same.
    >>> Also, for some reason this threads seem to have a lot of repeated
    >>> postings.

    >>
    >> You must be using Google Groups.
    >>

    > Not necessarily.
    >
    > I'm reading my ISP's NNTP server with the Pan newsreader and I'm seeing
    > the duplicates, though they're easy to recognise since Pan shows
    > repeated To and From: header pairs in front of the message text.
    >
    >
    >> Someone is spamming the cljp newsgroup via some sort of bot that
    >> duplicates old messages.
    >>

    > Two thoughts:
    >
    > - what evidence is there that this is really a 'bot and not some bug in
    > an inadequately tested server, possibly in Google Groups.
    >
    > I didn't see it before I went on holiday on the 25th of July but it
    > was doing its thing when I got back online on the 18th of August.
    >
    > - I follow a few newsgroups but this is the only one that is showing
    > this
    > odd duplication bug.


    I think I've found the source: every duplicate message I've looked at in
    any detail has duplicated trailers in the message text: the number of
    these trailers matches the number of leading To:/From: pairs and all have
    this form:

    --- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    --- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98 Time Warp of the Future BBS -
    telnet://time.synchro.net:24


    Does anybody know anything about synchro.net? The domain is registered to:
    Rob Swindell
    330 Latigo Ct.
    Norco Hills, California 92860
    United States

    I've emailed him about this.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    org |
     
    Martin Gregorie, Aug 20, 2012
    #14
  15. Lew Guest

    Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> anthonycwmak... wrote:

    .. . .
    >>> Also, for some reason this threads seem to have a lot of repeated
    >>> postings.

    >>
    >> You must be using Google Groups.

    >
    > Not necessarily.
    >
    > I'm reading my ISP's NNTP server with the Pan newsreader and I'm seeing
    > the duplicates, though they're easy to recognise since Pan shows repeated
    > To and From: header pairs in front of the message text.


    >> Someone is spamming the cljp newsgroup via some sort of bot that
    >> duplicates old messages.

    >
    > Two thoughts:
    >
    > - what evidence is there that this is really a 'bot and not some bug in
    > an inadequately tested server, possibly in Google Groups.


    There were some posts at around the time this all started announcing the
    "new service" and someone else mentioning the infamous NewsMaestro
    spamware.

    > I didn't see it before I went on holiday on the 25th of July but it was
    > doing its thing when I got back online on the 18th of August.
    >
    > - I follow a few newsgroups but this is the only one that is showing this
    > odd duplication bug.


    That's evidence of malice-aforethought 'ware.

    If the other hints are relevant, that is.

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Aug 20, 2012
    #15
  16. On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:01:52 -0700, Lew wrote:

    > Martin Gregorie wrote:
    >> Lew wrote:
    >>> anthonycwmak... wrote:

    > . . .
    >>>> Also, for some reason this threads seem to have a lot of repeated
    >>>> postings.
    >>>
    >>> You must be using Google Groups.

    >>
    >> Not necessarily.
    >>
    >> I'm reading my ISP's NNTP server with the Pan newsreader and I'm seeing
    >> the duplicates, though they're easy to recognise since Pan shows
    >> repeated To and From: header pairs in front of the message text.

    >
    >>> Someone is spamming the cljp newsgroup via some sort of bot that
    >>> duplicates old messages.

    >>
    >> Two thoughts:
    >>
    >> - what evidence is there that this is really a 'bot and not some bug in
    >> an inadequately tested server, possibly in Google Groups.

    >
    > There were some posts at around the time this all started announcing the
    > "new service" and someone else mentioning the infamous NewsMaestro
    > spamware.
    >
    >> I didn't see it before I went on holiday on the 25th of July but it
    >> was doing its thing when I got back online on the 18th of August.
    >>
    >> - I follow a few newsgroups but this is the only one that is showing
    >> this
    >> odd duplication bug.

    >
    > That's evidence of malice-aforethought 'ware.
    >
    > If the other hints are relevant, that is.


    In support of that, the e-mail address used in the domain's whois is
    rejected. However, as the registrar is GoDaddy, I suspect that would not
    be considered unusual.


    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    org |
     
    Martin Gregorie, Aug 20, 2012
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. anthonycwmak
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    346
  2. anthonycwmak
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    304
    markspace
    Aug 17, 2012
  3. anthonycwmak
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    280
    markspace
    Aug 18, 2012
  4. anthonycwmak
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    322
    John B. Matthews
    Aug 25, 2012
  5. anthonycwmak
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    284
    Arne Vajhøj
    Aug 18, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page