    helps is ok) for this ?

    Any comments would be really welcome.

    - Juan
    Leny, Jan 10, 2005

  2. Leny

    SnaiL Guest

    1) if code was documented using doxygen style you can use doxygen to
    generate api documentation.

    2) if project was developed using C++ than you can use Rational Rose
    and reverse engineering module.

    I do not know more ... :-(
    SnaiL, Jan 10, 2005

  3. Leny

    Leny Guest

    > 1) if code was documented using doxygen style you can use doxygen to
    > generate api documentation.

    Yes.. but the docs are so old and misleading that you are better ignoring
    them.

    > 2) if project was developed using C++ than you can use Rational Rose
    > and reverse engineering module.

    Unfortunately it's in C.. Rose would be handy if it had a OOD. I doesn't.

    > I do not know more ... :-(

    Thanks anyway ;)
    Leny, Jan 10, 2005
  4. Leny

    SnaiL Guest

    Maybe it has some sense to use this code in the scope of some IDE? For
    example Eclipse or KDevelop, SlickEdit... ?
    SnaiL, Jan 11, 2005
  5. Leny

    Michael Mair Guest

    Leny wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like to colaborate with an open source project that have been in
    > development for the last four years. There is almost no documentation at
    > all, and it's extremely hard even to get a global view of what's going on.
    >
    > Do you know any good tool (maybe a call graph tool, but anything which
    > helps is ok) for this ?
    >
    > Any comments would be really welcome.

    If you use an editor which supports ctags, I suggest using them.
    A good ctags implementation is exuberant ctags from sourceforge:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ctags/

    Otherwise: Start by writing documentation and give it to the others
    to correct. Use doctext or doxygen or whatever rocks your boat and is
    easily maintainable. Keep track of changes and have all people agree
    on updating the documentation whenever they change something (usually,
    if you get them to agree, some still conveniently forget the agreement
    or some parts of the documentation). As long as you maintain the
    documentation, you will have a very good overview over what is happening
    where. No easy method, though.

    Cheers
    Michael
    Michael Mair, Jan 11, 2005