Tooltip

Discussion in 'HTML' started by shapper, Oct 13, 2009.

  1. shapper

    shapper Guest

    Hello,

    I am using a JQuery plugin to create tooltips from input titles so it
    can be styled using CSS.

    IMHO, I think the markup of the tooltip should be something like:

    Or something as follows to allow more styling flexibility:

    The plugin in fact does something really different:

    <h3 class="title">Please, insert the full name</h3>

    In this case body and url are not defined.

    To me it does not make any sense to have a header on a tooltip.

    What do you think?

    Thanks,
    Miguel
    shapper, Oct 13, 2009

  2. shapper

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    shapper <> wrote:

    > What do you think?

    I think you should supply a URL with what *you* think and say why it
    still concerns you.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 13, 2009

  3. shapper

    shapper Guest

    On Oct 13, 10:25 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >  shapper <> wrote:
    > > What do you think?

    > I think you should supply a URL with what *you* think and say why it
    > still concerns you.

    My concern is simple: I don't see a tooltip as a part of the document
    structure.
    For example, looking at Opera's Table of Contents does it make sense
    to get something like:

    H1 > Water Company
    H2 > Articles
    H3 > How water is important? (Article)
    H3 > How to save water? (Article)
    H3 > Click here to follow the link (Tooltip)

    Even if I apply H4 to the tooltip what sense does it make?
    I can't understand why having a header on a tooltip makes any
    sense ... but that is me.

    I will try to create an example but basically this is what I am
    talking about.
    shapper, Oct 13, 2009
  4. shapper

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    shapper <> wrote:

    > On Oct 13, 10:25 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > >
    > >  shapper <> wrote:
    > > > What do you think?

    > > I think you should supply a URL with what *you* think and say why it
    > > still concerns you.

    > My concern is simple: I don't see a tooltip as a part of the document
    > structure.

    And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this?
    Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
    you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
    it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
    about *your* preferred solution.

    I know exactly why you are indecisive: guilt! Guilt that you should be
    in the kitchen cooking for me. Until you do this Miguel, you will be
    wracked with doubt. It will eat away at your soul. What is so hard about
    simply going into your kitchen and cooking up a Portuguese storm for me,
    ringing up a good quality airline food courier and sending it?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 14, 2009
  5. shapper

    shapper Guest

    On Oct 14, 12:51 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this?
    > Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
    > you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
    > it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
    > about *your* preferred solution.

    Here is an example:
    http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/tooltip.html

    It does not make sense to me that the tooltip has a H3 header when
    there is already a H3 header on the document structure which is not
    compared to tooltip.
    In fact I don't think a tooltip should have a header ... But ok I can
    even accept that if the header is lower than the lowest of the
    document.

    Well, this is just me.

    > I know exactly why you are indecisive: guilt! Guilt that you should be
    > in the kitchen cooking for me. Until you do this Miguel, you will be
    > wracked with doubt. It will eat away at your soul. What is so hard about
    > simply going into your kitchen and cooking up a Portuguese storm for me,
    > ringing up a good quality airline food courier and sending it?

    Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla ...

    "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
    and you have fed him for a lifetime"

    I opted to teach you how to fish and you have that on your email ...
    shapper, Oct 14, 2009
  6. On Oct 14, 7:45 am, shapper <> wrote:

    > "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
    > and you have fed him for a lifetime"

    Only if he's near water!

    www.richardfisher.com
    Helpful person, Oct 14, 2009
  7. shapper wrote:

    > For example, looking at Opera's Table of Contents does it make sense
    > to get something like:
    >
    > H1 > Water Company
    > H2 > Articles
    > H3 > How water is important? (Article)
    > H3 > How to save water? (Article)
    > H3 > Click here to follow the link (Tooltip)

    So don't create such foolish tooltips. Problem solved.

    > Even if I apply H4 to the tooltip what sense does it make?

    Tooltips seldom make sense. But if you set up a tooltip using JavaScript or
    CSS or both, why would you put the tooltip text inside a heading. If you
    think how the document should degrade gracefully, when JavaScript or CSS or
    both disabled, you get a clue of the logical structural - probably something
    like

    <h3>How to save water</h3>

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 14, 2009
  8. shapper

    picayunish Guest

    shapper wrote:
    > On Oct 14, 12:51 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    >> And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this?
    >> Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
    >> you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
    >> it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
    >> about *your* preferred solution.

    > Here is an example:
    > http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/tooltip.html

    This is a beter sample:
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Oct 14, 2009
  9. shapper

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    shapper <> wrote:

    > On Oct 14, 12:51 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this?
    > > Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
    > > you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
    > > it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
    > > about *your* preferred solution.

    > Here is an example:
    > http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/tooltip.html
    >
    > It does not make sense to me that the tooltip has a H3 header when
    > there is already a H3 header

    And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this?
    Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
    you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
    it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
    about *your* preferred solution.

    Perhaps you will be better informed by JK's more succinct way of putting
    some of this: "So don't create such foolish tooltips"? I was leaving you
    a way to express other more sensible concerns about aalternative looking
    renderings (which you have previously partly suggested) which you are
    simply ignoring.

    > Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla ...
    >
    > "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
    > and you have fed him for a lifetime"

    I bet you have no idea what irony there is in this.

    > I opted to teach you how to fish and you have that on your email ...

    How confident you are of your ability to send an email with a correct
    address in this case. And let me know the subject line to increase the
    chances of it not being junked if you did happen to get the address
    right.

    Where is that confidence in regard to the dismissal of foolish ideas
    about headings and tooltips?

    Here is some more bla:

    In the Woody Allen film Matchpoint, Chris Wilton says something similar
    to Nola Rice (played by Scarlett Johansson) except here the thing she
    was not confident about was her ability to act (or at least audition to
    act) while the thing she *was* confident about was something not
    altogether surprising given how she looks).

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 14, 2009
  10. shapper

    rf Guest

    "picayunish" <> wrote in message
    > shapper wrote:
    >> On Oct 14, 12:51 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    >>> And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this?
    >>> Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
    >>> you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
    >>> it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
    >>> about *your* preferred solution.

    >> Here is an example:
    >> http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/tooltip.html

    > This is a beter sample:
    > http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/

    One hundred and twenty four KB of javascript to acheive something that can
    be done with two lines of CSS?

    Oh, I see,<spit> jQuery</spit>. I'll have to rub out my cache now :-(
    rf, Oct 14, 2009
  11. shapper

    dorayme Guest

    In article <oesBm.47641$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > > http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/

    > One hundred and twenty four KB of javascript to acheive something that can
    > be done with two lines of CSS?
    >
    > Oh, I see,<spit> jQuery</spit>. I'll have to rub out my cache now :-(

    <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 14, 2009
  12. shapper

    picayunish Guest

    rf wrote:
    > "picayunish" <> wrote in message
    >> shapper wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Here is an example:
    >>> http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/tooltip.html

    >> This is a beter sample:
    >> http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/

    > One hundred and twenty four KB of javascript to acheive something that can
    > be done with two lines of CSS?

    He wanted a sample for tooltip by using jQuery, so he got it.
    Yes, I know you can use css.

    > Oh, I see,<spit> jQuery</spit>. I'll have to rub out my cache now :-(

    rofl
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Oct 15, 2009
  13. shapper

    picayunish Guest

    rf wrote:
    > "picayunish" <> wrote in message
    >> shapper wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Here is an example:
    >>> http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/tooltip.html

    >> This is a beter sample:
    >> http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/

    > One hundred and twenty four KB of javascript to acheive something that can
    > be done with two lines of CSS?

    Just for you
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/templates/tooltip2/ ;-)
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Oct 15, 2009
  14. shapper

    > rf wrote:
    >> "picayunish" <> wrote in message

    >>> This is a beter sample:
    >>> http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/

    >> One hundred and twenty four KB of javascript to acheive something that
    >> can be done with two lines of CSS?

    > Just for you
    > http://www.evandervaart.nl/templates/tooltip2/ ;-)

    Where? Oh, I have to scroll way way down eh?

    And by the way, if your browser window is small enough (so as to cause a
    vertical scroll bar) you will not *see* the popup under "voorgande" as it
    will be below the viewport, with no way to scroll down to it.

    Edwin, I've been doing these CSS on hover popup things for ages and they are
    much more than what the OP has in mind and what you have presented. The more
    complicated ones pop up an entire sub menu, in a form, that allows the
    viewer to perform some rather complicated server side actions on the element
    that is hovered, just like those image gallery things that are now in vogue.
    Not simply a popup offering information that should by rights be right there
    on the page anyway. .

    And as to Shappers OP, who gives a rats tail if the headings are in order or
    not, except perhaps Jukka, especially within a popup box?

    Further, jQuery questions should be directed at comp.lang.javascript. There
    they will be treated with the respect they deserve :)

    Glad I got a laugh out of you though :)
    rf, Oct 15, 2009
  15. shapper

    shapper Guest

    On Oct 14, 10:26 pm, dorayme <> wrote:

    > I bet you have no idea what irony there is in this.

    Yes, I have and I came a long way ... :)

    > How confident you are of your ability to send an email with a correct
    > address in this case. And let me know the subject line to increase the
    > chances of it not being junked if you did happen to get the address
    > right.

    I did a Reply to Author in the following post:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/browse_thread/thread/34d6d525d69a0fe6#

    So I think the subject will be the one of that post.

    Miguel
    shapper, Oct 15, 2009
  16. shapper

    picayunish Guest

    rf wrote:
    > "picayunish" <> wrote in message
    >> rf wrote:
    >>> "picayunish" <> wrote in message

    >>> One hundred and twenty four KB of javascript to acheive something that
    >>> can be done with two lines of CSS?

    >> Just for you
    >> http://www.evandervaart.nl/templates/tooltip2/ ;-)

    > Where? Oh, I have to scroll way way down eh?
    >
    > And by the way, if your browser window is small enough (so as to cause a
    > vertical scroll bar) you will not *see* the popup under "voorgande" as it
    > will be below the viewport, with no way to scroll down to it.

    Yeah, I forgot to remove the z-index and the position.

    > Edwin, I've been doing these CSS on hover popup things for ages and they are
    > much more than what the OP has in mind and what you have presented. The more
    > complicated ones pop up an entire sub menu, in a form, that allows the
    > viewer to perform some rather complicated server side actions on the element
    > that is hovered, just like those image gallery things that are now in vogue.
    > Not simply a popup offering information that should by rights be right there
    > on the page anyway. .

    I thought I had understood that he ment a tooltip for a button or hyperlink.

    > And as to Shappers OP, who gives a rats tail if the headings are in order or
    > not, except perhaps Jukka, especially within a popup box?
    >
    > Further, jQuery questions should be directed at comp.lang.javascript. There
    > they will be treated with the respect they deserve :)
    >
    > Glad I got a laugh out of you though :)

    thanx mate.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Oct 15, 2009
  17. shapper

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    shapper <> wrote:

    > I did a Reply to Author in the following post:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/bro ....

    I can't even send an email to myself that way. Come to think about it, I
    like that idea:

    "What is the matter?", asks the doctor.
    "Doctor, I talk to myself"
    "That's OK, plenty of people talk to themselves"
    "But Doctor, I talk to myself a lot"
    "It's nothing to worry about, it is not so bad ..."
    "Ah! But Doctor, you don't understand how boring I am!"

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 15, 2009
  18. On Oct 14, 5:26 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla ...
    > > "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
    > > and you have fed him for a lifetime"

    > I bet you have no idea what irony there is in this.

    I do! I do!
    Travis Newbury, Oct 16, 2009