Tooltip

shapper

Hello,

I am using a JQuery plugin to create tooltips from input titles so it
can be styled using CSS.

IMHO, I think the markup of the tooltip should be something like:

Or something as follows to allow more styling flexibility:

The plugin in fact does something really different:

<h3 class="title">Please, insert the full name</h3>

In this case body and url are not defined.

To me it does not make any sense to have a header on a tooltip.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Miguel

shapper

I think you should supply a URL with what *you* think and say why it
still concerns you.

My concern is simple: I don't see a tooltip as a part of the document
structure.
For example, looking at Opera's Table of Contents does it make sense
to get something like:

H1 > Water Company
H2 > Articles
H3 > How water is important? (Article)
H3 > How to save water? (Article)
H3 > Click here to follow the link (Tooltip)

Even if I apply H4 to the tooltip what sense does it make?
I can't understand why having a header on a tooltip makes any
sense ... but that is me.

I will try to create an example but basically this is what I am
talking about.

dorayme

shapper said:
My concern is simple: I don't see a tooltip as a part of the document
structure.

And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this?
Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
about *your* preferred solution.

I know exactly why you are indecisive: guilt! Guilt that you should be
in the kitchen cooking for me. Until you do this Miguel, you will be
wracked with doubt. It will eat away at your soul. What is so hard about
simply going into your kitchen and cooking up a Portuguese storm for me,
ringing up a good quality airline food courier and sending it?

shapper

And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this?
Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
about *your* preferred solution.

Here is an example:
http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/tooltip.html

It does not make sense to me that the tooltip has a H3 header when
there is already a H3 header on the document structure which is not
compared to tooltip.
In fact I don't think a tooltip should have a header ... But ok I can
even accept that if the header is lower than the lowest of the
document.

Well, this is just me.
I know exactly why you are indecisive: guilt! Guilt that you should be
in the kitchen cooking for me. Until you do this Miguel, you will be
wracked with doubt. It will eat away at your soul. What is so hard about
simply going into your kitchen and cooking up a Portuguese storm for me,
ringing up a good quality airline food courier and sending it?

Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla ...

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
and you have fed him for a lifetime"

I opted to teach you how to fish and you have that on your email ...

Jukka K. Korpela

shapper said:
For example, looking at Opera's Table of Contents does it make sense
to get something like:

H1 > Water Company
H2 > Articles
H3 > How water is important? (Article)
H3 > How to save water? (Article)
H3 > Click here to follow the link (Tooltip)

So don't create such foolish tooltips. Problem solved.
Even if I apply H4 to the tooltip what sense does it make?

Tooltips seldom make sense. But if you set up a tooltip using JavaScript or
CSS or both, why would you put the tooltip text inside a heading. If you
think how the document should degrade gracefully, when JavaScript or CSS or
both disabled, you get a clue of the logical structural - probably something
like

<h3>How to save water</h3>

dorayme

shapper said:
Here is an example:
http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/tooltip.html

It does not make sense to me that the tooltip has a H3 header when
there is already a H3 header

And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this?
Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
about *your* preferred solution.

Perhaps you will be better informed by JK's more succinct way of putting
some of this: "So don't create such foolish tooltips"? I was leaving you
a way to express other more sensible concerns about aalternative looking
renderings (which you have previously partly suggested) which you are
simply ignoring.
Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla ...

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
and you have fed him for a lifetime"
I bet you have no idea what irony there is in this.
I opted to teach you how to fish and you have that on your email ...

How confident you are of your ability to send an email with a correct
address in this case. And let me know the subject line to increase the
chances of it not being junked if you did happen to get the address
right.

Where is that confidence in regard to the dismissal of foolish ideas
about headings and tooltips?

Here is some more bla:

In the Woody Allen film Matchpoint, Chris Wilton says something similar
to Nola Rice (played by Scarlett Johansson) except here the thing she
was not confident about was her ability to act (or at least audition to
act) while the thing she *was* confident about was something not
altogether surprising given how she looks).

picayunish

rf said:
One hundred and twenty four KB of javascript to acheive something that can
be done with two lines of CSS?

He wanted a sample for tooltip by using jQuery, so he got it.
Yes, I know you can use css.
Oh, I see,<spit> jQuery</spit>. I'll have to rub out my cache now :-(

rofl

rf

picayunish said:

Where? Oh, I have to scroll way way down eh?

And by the way, if your browser window is small enough (so as to cause a
vertical scroll bar) you will not *see* the popup under "voorgande" as it
will be below the viewport, with no way to scroll down to it.

Edwin, I've been doing these CSS on hover popup things for ages and they are
much more than what the OP has in mind and what you have presented. The more
complicated ones pop up an entire sub menu, in a form, that allows the
viewer to perform some rather complicated server side actions on the element
that is hovered, just like those image gallery things that are now in vogue.
Not simply a popup offering information that should by rights be right there
on the page anyway. .

And as to Shappers OP, who gives a rats tail if the headings are in order or
not, except perhaps Jukka, especially within a popup box?

Further, jQuery questions should be directed at comp.lang.javascript. There
they will be treated with the respect they deserve :)

Glad I got a laugh out of you though :)

shapper

I bet you have no idea what irony there is in this.
Yes, I have and I came a long way ... :)
How confident you are of your ability to send an email with a correct
address in this case. And let me know the subject line to increase the
chances of it not being junked if you did happen to get the address
right.

I did a Reply to Author in the following post:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/browse_thread/thread/34d6d525d69a0fe6#

So I think the subject will be the one of that post.

Miguel

picayunish

rf said:
Where? Oh, I have to scroll way way down eh?

And by the way, if your browser window is small enough (so as to cause a
vertical scroll bar) you will not *see* the popup under "voorgande" as it
will be below the viewport, with no way to scroll down to it.

Yeah, I forgot to remove the z-index and the position.
Edwin, I've been doing these CSS on hover popup things for ages and they are
much more than what the OP has in mind and what you have presented. The more
complicated ones pop up an entire sub menu, in a form, that allows the
viewer to perform some rather complicated server side actions on the element
that is hovered, just like those image gallery things that are now in vogue.
Not simply a popup offering information that should by rights be right there
on the page anyway. .

I thought I had understood that he ment a tooltip for a button or hyperlink.
And as to Shappers OP, who gives a rats tail if the headings are in order or
not, except perhaps Jukka, especially within a popup box?

Further, jQuery questions should be directed at comp.lang.javascript. There
they will be treated with the respect they deserve :)

Glad I got a laugh out of you though :)

thanx mate.

dorayme

shapper said:
I did a Reply to Author in the following post:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/bro ....

I can't even send an email to myself that way. Come to think about it, I
like that idea:

"What is the matter?", asks the doctor.
"Doctor, I talk to myself"
"That's OK, plenty of people talk to themselves"
"But Doctor, I talk to myself a lot"
"It's nothing to worry about, it is not so bad ..."
"Ah! But Doctor, you don't understand how boring I am!"