ToolTips on DropDownList web controls

Mark Rae

Hi,

Trying to debug an ASP.NET v1.1 site where ToolTips are not displaying on
<asp:DropDownList> controls. Since this isn't a built-in property of these
controls, I did a Google search and the suggested method seems to be to add
a title="<ToolTip goes here>" tag to the <asp:DropDownList> declaration.
This is what my client is trying to do.

However, it's not working i.e. the ToolTip doesn't display when users hover
over the DropDownList - is this a known issue? Incidentally, if they use an
HTML SELECT control, the ToolTip doesn't show on that control either.

In the code below, the ToolTips display correctly only on the last two
controls:

<asp:DropDownList ID=cmbStatus Runat=server title="Select the project
status or leave it blank for all statuses" />
<select id=cmbHTMLSelect name=cmbHTMLSelect title="Select the project
status or leave it blank for all statuses"></select>
<asp:DropDownList ID=cmbExecutive Runat=server title="Select the
executive or leave it blank for all executives" />
<asp:CheckBox ID=chkLead Runat=server title="Executive selected is the
lead executive" />
<asp:Button ID=cmdFind Runat=server Text="Find" title="Fetch the
projects which match your criteria" />

A View Source of the page looks fine. The browser is IE6 on WinXP Pro, both
with the latest service packs and patches and, other than this, the page
appears to be functioning perfecly.

I wondered if it might be something related to some CSS setting somewhere,
but I removed all references to the client's stylesheets which made no
difference.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Mark