Top-Level Namespace Suggestion/Request: VirtualFS::

Stevie-O

I've written a module that can read files out of an .iso (iso9660 cd
image) file, and I've tentatively called it VirtualFS::ISO9660. Does
anyone have a problem with me taking the top-level namespace
VirtualFS:: ?

Ben Morrow

I've written a module that can read files out of an .iso (iso9660 cd
image) file, and I've tentatively called it VirtualFS::ISO9660. Does
anyone have a problem with me taking the top-level namespace
VirtualFS:: ?

Is there any good reason not to use Filesys::?

Ben

Walter Roberson

:I've written a module that can read files out of an .iso (iso9660 cd
:image) file, and I've tentatively called it VirtualFS::ISO9660. Does
:anyone have a problem with me taking the top-level namespace
:VirtualFS:: ?

I'd think that if it the module is portable, usable wherever fine
perls are available, that a top-level namespace would not be
inappropriate. But something under File:: might be a little better.

OT Question:
.iso files are often fairly large (e.g., 650 Mb). Have you applied
any particular optimization techniques to improve read performance?
Direct IO, scatter-gather, directory caching?

Bruce Horrocks

Stevie-O said:
I've written a module that can read files out of an .iso (iso9660 cd
image) file, and I've tentatively called it VirtualFS::ISO9660. Does
anyone have a problem with me taking the top-level namespace
VirtualFS:: ?

CD::ISO9660 ??

Which then leaves the way open for:
CD::Audio, CD::Joliet etc.

Regards,

Walter Roberson

:CD::ISO9660 ??

:Which then leaves the way open for:
:CD::Audio, CD::Joliet etc.

With obvious extensions desired into DVD, but DVD wouldn't want
to use the CD prefix. Besides, there is already an Audio::CD
and AudioCD and Video::DVDRip -- and it would be good if those could
be layered on top of virtual filesystems.

Stevie-O

(this is in response the two responses sent back to me)

I'd think that if it the module is portable, usable wherever fine
perls are available,
Works on my Windows box.
Works on my Linux shells.
that a top-level namespace would not be
inappropriate. But something under File:: might be a little better.
Well, nothing about the concept actually implies that it's backed by a
file on the local filesystem. For example, a VirtualFS::HTTP might let
you 'open' files that are on an HTTP server and access them with
read() or said:
OT Question:
.iso files are often fairly large (e.g., 650 Mb). Have you applied
any particular optimization techniques to improve read performance?
Direct IO, scatter-gather, directory caching?

It does some slight caching for finding file information, nothing huge
atm.

Bruce Horrocks said:
In message <[email protected]>, Stevie-O

CD::ISO9660 ??

Which then leaves the way open for:
CD::Audio, CD::Joliet etc.

Well, I had decided upon VirtualFS:: because there's no reason someone
couldn't do something similar and write VirtualFS::Ext2,
VirtualFS::Minix, the VirtualFS::HTTP I mentioned above (treat remote
HTTP files as local, how cool would that be?).

Incidentally, I plan to do VirtualFS::ISO9660::Joliet later on.

Bruce Horrocks

Stevie-O said:
Well, I had decided upon VirtualFS:: because there's no reason someone
couldn't do something similar and write VirtualFS::Ext2,
VirtualFS::Minix, the VirtualFS::HTTP I mentioned above (treat remote
HTTP files as local, how cool would that be?).

I hadn't spotted Audio::CD [1] so VirtualFS:: is as good as any. It
solves the problem of what to do with DVD as well.

Regards,

[1] I thought that I had looked under every possibility in CPAN for
likely candidates but didn't think to check for "Audio" first.