    image) file, and I've tentatively called it VirtualFS::ISO9660. Does
    anyone have a problem with me taking the top-level namespace
    VirtualFS:: ?

    Stevie-O, Jan 21, 2004

  2. Stevie-O

    Ben Morrow Guest

    (Stevie-O) wrote:
    > I've written a module that can read files out of an .iso (iso9660 cd
    > image) file, and I've tentatively called it VirtualFS::ISO9660. Does
    > anyone have a problem with me taking the top-level namespace
    > VirtualFS:: ?

    Is there any good reason not to use Filesys::?

    Ben

    --
    "The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
    Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,

    Ben Morrow, Jan 21, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    Stevie-O <> wrote:
    :I've written a module that can read files out of an .iso (iso9660 cd
    :image) file, and I've tentatively called it VirtualFS::ISO9660. Does
    :anyone have a problem with me taking the top-level namespace
    :VirtualFS:: ?

    I'd think that if it the module is portable, usable wherever fine
    perls are available, that a top-level namespace would not be
    inappropriate. But something under File:: might be a little better.

    OT Question:
    .iso files are often fairly large (e.g., 650 Mb). Have you applied
    any particular optimization techniques to improve read performance?
    Direct IO, scatter-gather, directory caching?
    --
    "Infinity is like a stuffed walrus I can hold in the palm of my hand.
    Don't do anything with infinity you wouldn't do with a stuffed walrus."

    Walter Roberson, Jan 21, 2004
  4. In message <>, Stevie-O
    <> writes
    >I've written a module that can read files out of an .iso (iso9660 cd
    >image) file, and I've tentatively called it VirtualFS::ISO9660. Does
    >anyone have a problem with me taking the top-level namespace
    >VirtualFS:: ?

    CD::ISO9660 ??

    Which then leaves the way open for:
    CD::Audio, CD::Joliet etc.

    Regards,
    --
    Bruce Horrocks
    Surrey

    Bruce Horrocks, Jan 21, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    Bruce Horrocks <> wrote:
    :CD::ISO9660 ??

    :Which then leaves the way open for:
    :CD::Audio, CD::Joliet etc.

    With obvious extensions desired into DVD, but DVD wouldn't want
    to use the CD prefix. Besides, there is already an Audio::CD
    and AudioCD and Video::DVDRip -- and it would be good if those could
    be layered on top of virtual filesystems.
    --
    Tenser, said the Tensor.
    Tenser, said the Tensor.

    Walter Roberson, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Stevie-O

    Stevie-O Guest

    (this is in response the two responses sent back to me)

    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:<bumsih$pvt$>...

    > I'd think that if it the module is portable, usable wherever fine
    > perls are available,

    Works on my Windows box.
    Works on my Linux shells.
    > that a top-level namespace would not be
    > inappropriate. But something under File:: might be a little better.

    Well, nothing about the concept actually implies that it's backed by a
    file on the local filesystem. For example, a VirtualFS::HTTP might let
    you 'open' files that are on an HTTP server and access them with
    read() or <>.

    > OT Question:
    > .iso files are often fairly large (e.g., 650 Mb). Have you applied
    > any particular optimization techniques to improve read performance?
    > Direct IO, scatter-gather, directory caching?

    It does some slight caching for finding file information, nothing huge
    atm.

    Bruce Horrocks <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In message <>, Stevie-O
    >
    > CD::ISO9660 ??
    >
    > Which then leaves the way open for:
    > CD::Audio, CD::Joliet etc.

    Well, I had decided upon VirtualFS:: because there's no reason someone
    couldn't do something similar and write VirtualFS::Ext2,
    VirtualFS::Minix, the VirtualFS::HTTP I mentioned above (treat remote
    HTTP files as local, how cool would that be?).

    Incidentally, I plan to do VirtualFS::ISO9660::Joliet later on.

    Stevie-O, Jan 22, 2004
  7. In message <>, Stevie-O
    <> writes
    >> CD::ISO9660 ??
    >>
    >> Which then leaves the way open for:
    >> CD::Audio, CD::Joliet etc.
    >>

    >Well, I had decided upon VirtualFS:: because there's no reason someone
    >couldn't do something similar and write VirtualFS::Ext2,
    >VirtualFS::Minix, the VirtualFS::HTTP I mentioned above (treat remote
    >HTTP files as local, how cool would that be?).

    I hadn't spotted Audio::CD [1] so VirtualFS:: is as good as any. It
    solves the problem of what to do with DVD as well.

    Regards,

    [1] I thought that I had looked under every possibility in CPAN for
    likely candidates but didn't think to check for "Audio" first.

    Bruce Horrocks, Jan 23, 2004