toString compatibility, and other javascript functions...

Dot net work

Is toString() compatible with all browsers?

I don't know where to look on the internet to find out what javascript
functions are ok to use with what browsers.

I tried www.quirksmode.org but as I am a javascript newbie I find the
site a bit confusing and difficult to navigate around. I have also
tried other sites, and find them equally confusing - I'm sure they are
good for people who understand what they are searching for though.

Thanks, regards, dnw.

RobG

Dot said:
Is toString() compatible with all browsers?

It should be "compatible" with any browser that supports JavaScript.
However, that is no guarantee that it actually is. Needles to say, not
all users have JavaScript turned on, and not all browsers support
JavaScript and some support old versions (usually old browsers).

All you can do is test all common browsers that implement JavaScript
and see what happens.
I don't know where to look on the internet to find out what javascript
functions are ok to use with what browsers.

There are various resources, but the best way is to actually test each
browser.

Another way is to keep an eye on HTML, CSS and Javascript news groups
to see the issues that arise. Given that each browser has a new
version about every year (except IE, which seems to have stalled other
than for security fixes) the quirks change frequently. You must test,
test, test.
I tried www.quirksmode.org but as I am a javascript newbie I find the
site a bit confusing and difficult to navigate around. I have also
tried other sites, and find them equally confusing - I'm sure they are
good for people who understand what they are searching for though.

Quirksmode use frames, which makes bookmarking a pain. Mozilla.org
provide some useful links here:

<URL:http://www.mozilla.org/js/>

You just have to keep plodding along and come back with questions as
you hit problems.

dotnw

Thanks Rob, I appreciate your response.
-dnw.