Tough Problem: Anonymous Posting Enabled Forum

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by W. Jordan, May 13, 2005.

  1. W. Jordan

    W. Jordan Guest

    Hello Gurus,

    I am developing an ASP.net forum in our intranet. The design
    specification requires that the forum provides a way for
    the users to post anonymously.

    Here's the structure of the database table which stores the
    threads in a forum:

    CREATE TABLE Module_ForumThreads (
    ThreadID int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
    ForumID int NOT NULL ,
    Title nvarchar (100) NOT NULL ,
    Poster Nvarchar (16) NOT NULL ,
    PostTime datetime NOT NULL
    CONSTRAINT DF_Module_ForumThreads_PostTime
    DEFAULT (getdate()),

    CONSTRAINT PK_Module_ForumThreads PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    (ThreadID)
    )

    If somebody posts anonymously, the Poster field will be
    logged as "Anonymous".

    A typical sample of records might looks like these:

    ThreadID, ForumID, Title, Poster, PostTime
    1, 1, "Hello world", "Many", "2005-5-13 08:12:12"
    2, 1, "Da**it my income's gotten cut", "Anonymous", "2005-5-13 08:13:39"
    3, 1, "Hello world too", "John", "2005-5-13 08:14:05"

    Since there's a timestamp in the table, if the boss is
    unhappy about the record 2 by the anonymous, he might
    require the IT professionals to check up the IIS W3C
    logs stored in the intranet server, and search for a
    record posted at "2005-5-13 08:13:39". By addressing
    the IP in the IIS record, the boss will be able to
    find out which guy has posted "Da**it..." actually.

    The design specification of the intranet disagrees
    what the boss might done as the above and encourages
    the employees to post anonymously by providing a
    real "anonymous" post, without traceable logs.

    If I don't disable the IIS logs, how I can workaround
    this problem and get a anonymous posting enabled
    forum?

    --

    Best Regards,
    W. Jordan

    W. Jordan, May 13, 2005

  2. Hi but you can capture the IP address to the Database too..
    That might be easier for you to do
    Patrick

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?=, May 13, 2005

  3. W. Jordan

    W. Jordan Guest

    Hi,

    The purpose is NOT to capture the IP address for
    the anonymous posters. Is there any way to provide
    a un-traceable anonymous posting without disabling
    the IP logging in the W3C logs in IIS?

    Best Regards,
    W. Jordan

    W. Jordan, May 13, 2005
  4. Patrick,

    please read the posts carefully before replying.

    What you suggest isn't, even remotely, related to his question.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en EspaƱol
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 13, 2005
  5. W. Jordan

    Bruce Barker Guest

    you could add a log filter to your site, that removed or changed the
    ipaddress.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, May 13, 2005
  6. W. Jordan

    W. Jordan Guest

    Hello Bruce,

    It seems that it is beyond the capability of ASP.net.
    Perhaps the fastest way is to disable the IP fields in the
    IIS W3C logs...

    --
    Best Regards,
    W. Jordan