trading post

Travis Newbury

dorayme said:
When you say "For a commercial non government site, everything should be
voluntary." surely you are not merely saying there should be no government
regulations for non-government sites? Apart from a few Nazi types, no one
would dispute this. If you mean there should be no standards, no best
practice codes, no good guidelines, no core starting positions, then you
need to do more than just say it for folk to believe it.

I believe that the site can do what ever they want in terms of coding
practices, accessibility and usability. If you want to make a
comercial site that is 100% flash dependant, then the gonverment should
have no say in it at all.

Now the "smart" comercial site will base their accessibility and
usability on their customers. For example it would probalby be dumb
for Google to require flash. But if they wanted to, I think that, that
is fine. (They would probalby go out of business if they did)

So I do not disagree with a site being accessible and usable by as many
as they can be. I am just against telling them they HAVE to be. Which
is what many of the new laws are trying to do.

Richard Rundle

Travis Newbury said:
For a commercial non government site, everything should be voluntary.
There should be no regulations at all for the web. A company should be
able to do what ever they want with their website..

Sorry, don't quite agree. If a shop has to, by law (in the UK at least) use
every effort to make it's premises accessible, why should the on-line
version be any different ?

Travis Newbury

Richard said:
Sorry, don't quite agree. If a shop has to, by law (in the UK at least) use
every effort to make it's premises accessible, why should the on-line
version be any different ?

Because one is a tangable object, the other is not.