translate XML into HTML / PDF - prg needed

A.Hanemann

Hi,

i need a windows-Programm to translate many .XML-Files into .HTML and .PDF.
I have the .DTD-File. The Programm should be easy to use and free. Does
someone know where to find such a thing? Havent found anything in google.

Thanks
Andi

Soren Kuula

A.Hanemann said:
Hi,

i need a windows-Programm to translate many .XML-Files into .HTML and .PDF.
I have the .DTD-File. The Programm should be easy to use and free. Does
someone know where to find such a thing? Havent found anything in google.

Well, you you print them to Adobe Acrobat to get PDF .. or just view
them in Internet Explorer, or WordPad.

-- What di you really want to do with the files? Many people use XML for
separating how things look from what they mean. You propably have some
XML files that mean something in a particular field -- inventory lists
or what know I. It's up to you to find a meaningful presentation for the
data, which means you will have to program yourself.

XSLT is a language for transforming XML to XML or HTML. It will run on
Windows.

Soren

Gerald Aichholzer

A.Hanemann said:
i need a windows-Programm to translate many .XML-Files into .HTML and .PDF.
I have the .DTD-File. The Programm should be easy to use and free. Does
someone know where to find such a thing? Havent found anything in google.

As already has been pointed out there is no programm doing your task
automatically. XML basically contains some hierarchical data. _You_
have to tell how this data should be rendered in HTML and other for-
mats.

For transforming XML into (X)HTML typically XSLT is used. With XSLT
you can also transform your files to XSL-FO. XSL-FO can be easily
converted to PDF, RTF and other formats, e.g. with FOP from the
Apache Software Foundation.

Anyway - there first step has to be made with XSLT by yourself.

HTH,
Gerald

Peter Flynn

A.Hanemann said:
Hi,

i need a windows-Programm to translate many .XML-Files into .HTML and
.PDF.
I have the .DTD-File. The Programm should be easy to use and free. Does
someone know where to find such a thing? Havent found anything in google.

Google is not useful for everything :)

Saxon with XSLT and LaTeX. All free.

///Peter

Gerald Aichholzer

Peter said:
A.Hanemann wrote:

Google is not useful for everything :)

Well, it is in most cases. The real problem is
to ask the right question ;-)

Gerald