Transmogrify images (in ICO format)

Kai Grossjohann

I gather that Java Advanced Imaging is what I need for processing
images.

What I have is a format, a bunch of bytes, and a bit. The format is
either bmp or ico. It says how to interpret the bunch of bytes. The
bit says whether to use transparency. "Using transparency" means
that the color of the top left pixel is considered the transparent
color.

The objective is to send something to a web browser that the web
browser groks and will display correctly.

If the transparency bit is off, I can just send the bunch of bytes to
the browser with MIME type image/bmp or image/x-icon, and Bob's my
uncle.

But if the transparency bit is on, then I need to do something.
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai/forDevelopers/jai-apidocs/
mentions BMP, so I guess I'll be able to do the BMP dance.

But what do I do about ICO?

(I understand that ICO supports transparency. If the image is
transparent already, then I don't need to do anything. But if the
image is not transparent, then I'll have to transmogrify it.)

tia,
Kai