    Is there a way to trap F1, F2, F3, F4 etc. keys on ASP and have our own
    codes to do whatever necessary for each of those keys ? Thank you.
    , Nov 24, 2006

  2. Evertjan. Guest

    wrote on 25 nov 2006 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > Is there a way to trap F1, F2, F3, F4 etc. keys on ASP and have our own
    > codes to do whatever necessary for each of those keys ? Thank you.

    Classic ASP, this NG's subject, is a platform for serverside code and has
    no connection with the keyboard of the client.

    Please ask in a clinetside NG.
    Perhaps asp.net can, it has its owm dot.net NGs.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Nov 25, 2006

  3. <> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to trap F1, F2, F3, F4 etc. keys on ASP and have our own
    > codes to do whatever necessary for each of those keys ? Thank you.

    You can detect these keys in the onkeydown event using event.keyCode.
    However unlike with other keys setting event.returnValue = false does not
    stop the browser responding to these keys as it would do normally. Hence in
    IE6 pressing F3 will open the search sidebar and there isn't anything you
    can do about it.

    The function keys belong to the browser not to the content it happens to be
    showing. You might be able to get away with using function keys that have
    no meaning to the browser.
    Anthony Jones, Nov 25, 2006