Tree View Structure

Discussion in 'Java' started by Nithya, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. Nithya

    Nithya Guest

    Hi

    I need to develop/ use a tree view. It should be displayed in a jsp
    page..
    The structure will somewhat look like this:

    Root

    / | \
    / | \
    C1 C2 C3
    / | \ \ / | \
    C1a C1b C1c C23a C3a C3b
    Child can also have multiple parents..
    What can be done for this? Can I get the code/ component from
    somewhere? If not how can this be developed??

    If not can I get some flow details regarding this structure?

    Regards
    Nithya

    Nithya, Apr 12, 2004

  2. On 11 Apr 2004 22:16:34 -0700, Nithya wrote:

    > I need to develop/ use a tree view. It should be displayed in a jsp
    > page..

    You mean it will end up HTML?

    > The structure will somewhat look like this:
    >

    > Root
    >
    > / | \
    > / | \
    > C1 C2 C3

    Nested list (<li>)?

    > / | \ \ / | \
    > C1a C1b C1c C23a C3a C3b
    > Child can also have multiple parents..

    Nu-uh.. that blows the nested list.

    How about an applet?

    >..Can I get the code/ component from
    > somewhere? If not how can this be developed??

    ...once you have figured how to structure
    your data, and in fact implemented that
    structure, you could write the data directly
    into the web page as an attribute for the applet.

    I use an applet on my sites* called LiveGraphics 3D.
    * <http://www.1point1c.org/model/index.jsp>

    It could do the rendering. You can see it reading
    data directly from a web page here..
    <http://www.vis.uni-stuttgart.de/~kraus/LiveGraphics3D/examples/globe.html>

    That is how you might approach the rendering
    part of this problem. I am not sure about
    the rest.

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Apr 12, 2004

  3. "Nithya" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I need to develop/ use a tree view. It should be displayed in a jsp
    > page..
    > The structure will somewhat look like this:
    >

    > Root
    >
    > / | \
    > / | \
    > C1 C2 C3
    > / | \ \ / | \
    > C1a C1b C1c C23a C3a C3b
    > Child can also have multiple parents..

    If a child can have multiple parents you don't have a tree--you have a
    graph. The rendering technique will vary depending on whether your graph
    will have cycles and how you want to handle the extra links.

    > What can be done for this? Can I get the code/ component from
    > somewhere? If not how can this be developed??

    Search the web and SourceForge. I would think that your application details
    will be too specific to be able to use a generic solution and you'll have to
    do up your own. I'm not sure if JSP will handle this (I'm not a JSP person)
    but I have coded this both as an applet and an image-generating servlet.

    Cheers,
    Matt Humphrey http://www.iviz.com/

    Matt Humphrey, Apr 12, 2004
  4. Nithya

    antroy Guest

    >>Child can also have multiple parents..
    >

    > If a child can have multiple parents you don't have a tree--you have a
    > graph. The rendering technique will vary depending on whether your graph
    > will have cycles and how you want to handle the extra links.

    That's right. There's a sourceforge project called JGraph that handles
    graphs.

    --
    Ant...

    antroy, Apr 14, 2004