Tricks to install/run Python on Windows ?

Discussion in 'Python' started by StepH, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. StepH

    StepH Guest

    Hi,

    I'm new to Python. I'm working under XP, and I've alot of prob. (not
    with the langage itself, but with the tools):

    I've install Pyhton 2.4 in C:\Python24, using the .msi windows installer.
    Then, I've install "PythonWin" (the last build-203).

    I'll try to summerize my prob.:

    1./ The PythonWin IDE is not stable at all. Sometimes it exit without
    reason, or don't stop on breakpoint, etc... Are some of you aware of
    bugs in the last PyhtonWin IDE release ? I've to open the TaskManager.
    AT some point, i'm not able to (p.e.) open a file under it !!!

    2./ I've try to download Komode (he 3.1 personnal). I've also prob.
    with it ! Also, the breakpoint seems to not always work...

    3./ So, i've try to use the command line, but i've to manualy change the
    code page od my dos box from 437 to 1252 (i'm live in belgium). And
    i've not try how to do that permanently !

    4./ Before, I had Python23 and it seems that when unstalling it, all the
    keys in the registry are not removed at all. When i've install the 2.4,
    I had a mismatch which force me to complety re-install the machine (I'm
    not an expert of the registry)...

    5./ Installing komodo seems to "block" pythonwinIDE completly...

    What's wrong ? Python seems terific, but the tools...

    So... maybe i've to try BlackAdder ?

    StepH, Dec 26, 2004

  2. On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:43:24 +0100, StepH
    <> wrote:
    >What's wrong ? Python seems terific, but the tools...

    You could uninstall both Python and PyWin32 a.k.a. PythonWin, and
    install ActiveState Python which includes both in one tool. Then,
    check if the PythonWin IDE works fine.

    Luke.

    Luke Skywalker, Dec 26, 2004

  3. StepH

    Ishwor Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to Python. I'm working under XP, and I've alot of prob. (not
    > with the langage itself, but with the tools):
    >
    > I've install Pyhton 2.4 in C:\Python24, using the .msi windows installer.
    > Then, I've install "PythonWin" (the last build-203).

    Doesn't IDLE come with Python2.4??? Its pretty good if you haven't tried it ;-)
    If you haven't searched for it yet, try looking in
    C:\Python24\lib\idlelib for "idle.py".
    To start it simply do "python idle.py" in the prompt. You should also
    probably have a batch script named idle.bat which wraps the idle.py.

    > I'll try to summerize my prob.:
    >
    > 1./ The PythonWin IDE is not stable at all. Sometimes it exit without
    > reason, or don't stop on breakpoint, etc... Are some of you aware of
    > bugs in the last PyhtonWin IDE release ? I've to open the TaskManager.
    > AT some point, i'm not able to (p.e.) open a file under it !!!
    >
    > 2./ I've try to download Komode (he 3.1 personnal). I've also prob.
    > with it ! Also, the breakpoint seems to not always work...
    >
    > 3./ So, i've try to use the command line, but i've to manualy change the
    > code page od my dos box from 437 to 1252 (i'm live in belgium). And
    > i've not try how to do that permanently !
    >
    > 4./ Before, I had Python23 and it seems that when unstalling it, all the
    > keys in the registry are not removed at all. When i've install the 2.4,
    > I had a mismatch which force me to complety re-install the machine (I'm
    > not an expert of the registry)...
    >
    > 5./ Installing komodo seems to "block" pythonwinIDE completly...
    >
    > What's wrong ? Python seems terific, but the tools...

    I have no clue what the *tools* are doing for you and i feel sorry for
    that but as i said if you try IDLE its pretty good.
    the link http://www.python.org/idle/ should be able to provide you with info.

    > So... maybe i've to try BlackAdder ?

    cheers,
    Ishwor Gurung

    Ishwor, Dec 27, 2004
  4. While I don't have any solutions for your problems outlined above, you
    certainly don't need to limit yourself to the "tools" you've been
    exposed to (nor should you make a generalization based on them).

    If PythonWin is giving you that much trouble, you could optionally use
    a different editor. I use DrPython[1] from time to time.

    Also, when you say that you had to reinstall your "machine", surely
    you didn't mean your operating system? I don't think it would be too
    difficult to find a list of registry keys that Python uses, (or,
    indeed, inquiring towards the values of those that 2.4 uses and
    manually adding them) but I seriously doubt it involves any that your
    system's stability balances on.

    Daniel Bickett

    NOTES:
    [1] http://drpython.sf.net/

    Daniel Bickett, Dec 27, 2004
  5. StepH

    It's me Guest

    Try running with the latest version of Python 2.3 instead of 2.4. May be
    you would have better luck.

    I've found similar stability problems with some of the tools (eventhough
    they have 2.4 releases) as well.

    I switched back to 2.3 and so far I have no complains.

    It's me, Dec 27, 2004
  6. StepH

    StepH Guest

    It's me a écrit :
    > Try running with the latest version of Python 2.3 instead of 2.4. May be
    > you would have better luck.
    >
    > I've found similar stability problems with some of the tools (eventhough
    > they have 2.4 releases) as well.
    >
    > I switched back to 2.3 and so far I have no complains.

    So far i remember, I'll have no prob. using Python 2.3 (and the
    PythonWin distro for 2.3), yes.

    For now, I'm trying WingIDE, and all seems good. A little slow, but for
    now, it works without "surprise".

    Thanks a lot to all of you.

    PS:I'll also have a look at DrPython later.

    StepH, Dec 27, 2004