Tricks to install/run Python on Windows ?

StepH

Hi,

I'm new to Python. I'm working under XP, and I've alot of prob. (not
with the langage itself, but with the tools):

I've install Pyhton 2.4 in C:\Python24, using the .msi windows installer.
Then, I've install "PythonWin" (the last build-203).

I'll try to summerize my prob.:

1./ The PythonWin IDE is not stable at all. Sometimes it exit without
reason, or don't stop on breakpoint, etc... Are some of you aware of
bugs in the last PyhtonWin IDE release ? I've to open the TaskManager.
AT some point, i'm not able to (p.e.) open a file under it !!!

2./ I've try to download Komode (he 3.1 personnal). I've also prob.
with it ! Also, the breakpoint seems to not always work...

3./ So, i've try to use the command line, but i've to manualy change the
code page od my dos box from 437 to 1252 (i'm live in belgium). And
i've not try how to do that permanently !

4./ Before, I had Python23 and it seems that when unstalling it, all the
keys in the registry are not removed at all. When i've install the 2.4,
I had a mismatch which force me to complety re-install the machine (I'm
not an expert of the registry)...

5./ Installing komodo seems to "block" pythonwinIDE completly...

What's wrong ? Python seems terific, but the tools...

So... maybe i've to try BlackAdder ?

Luke Skywalker

What's wrong ? Python seems terific, but the tools...

You could uninstall both Python and PyWin32 a.k.a. PythonWin, and
install ActiveState Python which includes both in one tool. Then,
check if the PythonWin IDE works fine.

Luke.

Ishwor

Hi,

I'm new to Python. I'm working under XP, and I've alot of prob. (not
with the langage itself, but with the tools):

I've install Pyhton 2.4 in C:\Python24, using the .msi windows installer.
Then, I've install "PythonWin" (the last build-203).
Doesn't IDLE come with Python2.4??? Its pretty good if you haven't tried it ;-)
If you haven't searched for it yet, try looking in
C:\Python24\lib\idlelib for "idle.py".
To start it simply do "python idle.py" in the prompt. You should also
probably have a batch script named idle.bat which wraps the idle.py.
[...]

I have no clue what the *tools* are doing for you and i feel sorry for
that but as i said if you try IDLE its pretty good.
the link http://www.python.org/idle/ should be able to provide you with info.

Daniel Bickett

While I don't have any solutions for your problems outlined above, you
certainly don't need to limit yourself to the "tools" you've been
exposed to (nor should you make a generalization based on them).

If PythonWin is giving you that much trouble, you could optionally use
a different editor. I use DrPython[1] from time to time.

Also, when you say that you had to reinstall your "machine", surely
you didn't mean your operating system? I don't think it would be too
difficult to find a list of registry keys that Python uses, (or,
indeed, inquiring towards the values of those that 2.4 uses and
manually adding them) but I seriously doubt it involves any that your
system's stability balances on.

Daniel Bickett

NOTES:
[1] http://drpython.sf.net/

It's me

Try running with the latest version of Python 2.3 instead of 2.4. May be
you would have better luck.

I've found similar stability problems with some of the tools (eventhough
they have 2.4 releases) as well.

I switched back to 2.3 and so far I have no complains.

StepH

It's me a écrit :
Try running with the latest version of Python 2.3 instead of 2.4. May be
you would have better luck.

I've found similar stability problems with some of the tools (eventhough
they have 2.4 releases) as well.

I switched back to 2.3 and so far I have no complains.

So far i remember, I'll have no prob. using Python 2.3 (and the
PythonWin distro for 2.3), yes.

For now, I'm trying WingIDE, and all seems good. A little slow, but for
now, it works without "surprise".

Thanks a lot to all of you.

PS:I'll also have a look at DrPython later.