Trouble calling a function with enum parameter

Reaction score
I cannot get the call right to a function with an enumeration from a library. Not even if I duplicate that enum in my program.

In the library:
enum class Layout {
Horizontal,
Vertical
};

The function prototype from the library code:
uint16_t cdrawString(const char *str,
int32_t x = 0,
int32_t y = 0,
uint16_t fg = 0xFFFF,
uint16_t bg = 0x0000,
Layout layout = Layout::Horizontal);

The call I want to compile:
ofr.cdrawString(myBuildString, 0, 0, TFT_YELLOW, DarkerRed, Horizontal);

It says Horizontal is not defined. Even if I duplicate the enum in my code with a different name (else it says it is already defined so it knows it is there), I cannot get Horizontal defined.

Please help he with this. There is no example, anywhere, of this usage that I can find and I have searched for a while. Thanks for any pointers to make this work.

Reaction score
I cannot get the call right to a function with an enumeration from a library. Not even if I duplicate that enum in my program.

In the library:
enum class Layout {
Horizontal,
Vertical
};

int32_t x = 0,
int32_t y = 0,
uint16_t fg = 0xFFFF,
uint16_t bg = 0x0000,

It says Horizontal is not defined. Even if I duplicate the enum in my code with a different name (else it says it is already defined so it knows it is there), I cannot get Horizontal defined.

Please help he with this. There is no example, anywhere, of this usage that I can find and I have searched for a while. Thanks for any pointers to make this work.
I got this to work:

Layout lay=Layout::Horizontal;

But, still, the call to cdrawString won't compile no matter what I put in the last parm.

Reaction score

In the library:
enum class Layout {
Horizontal,
Vertical
};

int32_t x = 0,
int32_t y = 0,
uint16_t fg = 0xFFFF,
uint16_t bg = 0x0000,

It appears that you are attempting to utilize the "cdrawString" function from the library with an input of "Horizontal," which is not being acknowledged by the compiler. To fix this issue, you should specify the enum type from the library when calling the argument, as follows: "ofr.cdrawString(myBuildString, 0, 0, TFT_YELLOW, DarkerRed, Layout::Horizontal)."

Code:
ofr.cdrawString(myBuildString, 0, 0, TFT_YELLOW, DarkerRed, Layout::Horizontal);

Alternatively, you could use a typedef or using statement to bring the enum into the current namespace, like this:

Code:
typedef Layout::Horizontal Horizontal;

Reaction score
I tried just that and it was rejected. Here is what I finally found that worked in the Arduino IDE environment:

Align myAlign = Align::Left;
myAlign = Align::Left;
Layout myLayout = Layout::Horizontal; // One way to do it
render.setLayout(Layout::Horizontal); // Another way to do it

BBOX = render.calculateBoundingBoxFmt(0, 0, font_size, myAlign, myLayout, txtSample);

Ask a Question